ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The life of my Odyssee 172 Ph1

172 RS Ph1
On the 27th of November this year, I became the happy owner of my "Bleu Odyssee" ph1 172. I've bought her in the following condition:

Year of birth: 2001
KM's: 97.000 (60k miles)
Full 9 year old service history
Two previous owners

She is all standard except the Sony CDX-GT30RN radio. Cambelt has just been changed 11th of november, together with the front discs and pads (OEM). Besides from quite some very small dents she is free of any other damage.

To Do list:

*Get the steering wheel retrimmed
Steering wheel already sent to Germany and waiting for it to return. (www.leder-lenkrad.de).
*Get the dents removed by a re-styler
Made an appointment for 29th of December, €10 a dent.
*Replace the Sony by the original HU
Should receive the original unit soon!
*Detail it!
But it freezes outside, so will be march.
*Fit the Audio
Morel composet, Audsion RX3 amp and Rockford Fosgate sub waiting.

Wish list:

*Eibach springs
Id really like to go for sportlines since i want the car to lower a bit (looks like a big frog now). Im undecided tho because i deff. don't want a crashy ride (firm is fine).
*OZ Superleggera's 16 inch
Probably in silver, no anthracite. Also thinking of white.
*Sportier sound
Perhaps by removing the standard mid-damper, or should I de-cat? I deff don't want it to be too loud (K-Tech Stealth Race version is too lood for me).
*Fastchip RSTuner
Will a live-map/personal map make a difference to the std maps online available? (with my std spec car).

OK pics!
IMAG0009-1.jpg

PB284039-1.jpg

IMAG0008-1.jpg

IMAG0005-1.jpg

172 RS Ph1
Does anyone know anything regarding the sportier sound that I wish? The whole system has been replaced early this year, so totally changing the system is not an option.

Should I remove the cat or the mid damper for the better sound? Any opinions? :approve:

Drew.

ClioSport Club Member
she looks mint mate, eibachs are a good improvement, i've got prolines on and its not crashy at all.

Clio RS
maybe start with the backbox? get a stealth but the quite one?

had mine mapped from Henk @ Fastchip and was very happy with the results although mine didn't make the power it should...
but that should be my one fault since I don't give a enough stick!

172 RS Ph1
Cheers Clio16!

Subarufreak-> What do you mean by you not giving it enough stick? Like you don't use the engine to its fullest everyday, which results in a 'lazy' engine with less power?

Ill start my quest to a better sound soon.. :cool:

340i
The F4R engines do like abuse to free them up... They always seem to make good power with a hard life / higher miles. (if looked after correctly with servicing etc.)

for more noise a de-cat pipe would be the simplest option. :)

Clio RS
yep, mines lazy...

I only need to go 10km to work so the car doesn't get warm enough for some blasting... try to in the weekend then but...

172 RS Ph1
Alright gave it some love this weekend! I washed, clayed and waxed the car to make it winter ready, a real clean will follow in the spring when my hands don't freeze off ;)

What it looked like in the morning:
02e874de.jpg

The reason why they spray salt all over the roads:
91fcbcb2.jpg

Removed the ice with a waterhose, and washed it with dodo juice born to be mild:
b832e595.jpg

Paint condition:
87d49227.jpg

8ace193a.jpg

Damaged paint, probably the previous owner washed the car once every 2-3 months and didn't really look after it:
7533992d.jpg

So, used the d/a polisher and found some metallic flakes under all that damaged paint!:
58a9f206.jpg

Overall result after applying 2 coats of Collinite 845:
a5bb4713.jpg

ce872460.jpg

61d3b1ca.jpg

I only polished the spoiler, whole car will be done in the spring, but at least the paint is protected from those salty roads right now!

172 RS Ph1
Thanks!

Made an appointment at the exhaust-shop to remove the mid damper tomorow by a straight through pipe.

Any recommandation on what diameter to get?

ALF

Blue ph1
Hi Marteen,
Nice Clio (considering I've have the exact same one...)!

Are you working for Renault Nieuwendijk ? It seems like we can see the dealership on some of your pics...

ALF

Blue ph1
"Jammer!"

I have been working for Renault Nederland a few years ago and I know someone who's now working in Nieuwendijk and whose first name is Marteen and familiy name starts with a B... Close to yours!

172 RS Ph1
Ahhh....That person is unknown to me though, since i don't visit too often.

The mid-damper of the 172 has been replaced by a straight through pipe today.. And the result is rather dissapointing :(
I don't hear any difference! Well..perhaps a veyr very slight difference, but that might be just because i want to hear it.

Probably have to replace it by a different system in the future then.

Clio RS
I have a supersprint in order, I'm wondering what it will do to mine.

heard a clio with a full supersprint system on it, sounded really really well!!!

172 RS Ph1
All right sounds good! Supersprint makes nice systems yes... will it be stealth too?

Post a video up when you have it fitted, all right?!

Clio 172 RS2
Hi Martijn,
You contacted Henk (Fastchip) yet... about the RS-tuner?
Guessing a custom map is only in order on a non-standard F4R.

Running the 'standard' Fastchip remap btw. :approve:

172 RS Ph1
Hi Ralph,

Look @ what came in today:
55860a3e.jpg

I bought it second hand, so will need a new license from Henk.

I also ordered:
004send.jpg

A BTB cat-back stainless steel system (with mid-silencer) :)

I don't know if I should get a custom re-map from Henk now, or just use one of the online available maps? I deff. won't de-cat the car.

172 RS Ph1
Put some effort in cleaning my spare wheel today. Im planning on removing the wheels one-by-one so i can clean them thoroughly while they are off the car.

Before:
5d620aed.jpg

a7042beb.jpg

Believe me the wheel was dirty and not cleaned properly for 9 years!!

Sprayed with Mothers FX Wheel Cleaner:
90c7b638.jpg

Brushing with Mothers Detailing Brushes:
b4cb56ee.jpg

Hose it off:
9a3a9c83.jpg

A lot cleaner:
0f8fcf14.jpg

Then i dried the wheel, and used some Valet Pro Tar&Glue remover to remove tar spots on the wheel.
After that i used a medium grade clay bar to remove contamination like baked on brake dust.
Then I polished the wheel by hand with Monello Mezzo (Menzerna, but our own label)
Then protected the wheel with 2 coats of Collinite 476S Liquid Insulator Wax (don't have my wheel wax with me here).
Then the tires with Mothers Tire Shine.

Result:
ade52886.jpg

57e9c2cd.jpg

8213b4d8.jpg

Besides some little curb-damage, as good as new :)

Last edited:

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172
Your detailing skills are top notch! Would you be able to set me up with another qoute on them products you suggested without the polish and wheel products as I was giving some autoglym SRP and I hate my wheels lol thanks