ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The New Phone Thread

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
It's a different phone.
It is. But comparatively to the market it's priced significantly higher than the 6P was based on its specs.

The 6P was just as much on par with the flagship phones at the time and was far cheaper. Now this one has basically doubled in price and is still only the same as the current flagships

I know that's a poor way or wording it but hopefully you get what I mean.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
It is. But comparatively to the market it's priced significantly higher than the 6P was based on its specs.

The 6P was just as much on par with the flagship phones at the time and was far cheaper. Now this one has basically doubled in price and is still only the same as the current flagships

I know that's a poor way or wording it but hopefully you get what I mean.
I do get what you mean. But the 6P wasn't the top of the tree for anything was it?

The Pixel's camera alone is a selling point. Did you see the software video stabilisation ? Was insanely good.

I don't want to get into a debate. Flagship phones cost way more, proportionally than the improvements over more entry level phones but that's just life.

My Moto g4 plus is £200 sim free. Was the note7 3.5 times better? Hell no. Maybe 1.5 times better. Same goes for the pixel and iPhone. But are you going to stick to a cheap phone for the sake of a few hundred quid?

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
The fingerprint reader on the back of the phone is perfect on my 6p,and much better than the iPhone 6 I have for work which works first time 30% of the time probably.

I like the spec of the new pixel, and on paper and from a few reviews, it's the best phone out there at the moment, which with the Samsung going tips up, will probably see sales grow.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Yeah I'm sure it's one of those things you get used to. And the swipe for notifications is genius. It's impossible to do one handed normally.

When I first started using this phone with soft keys for android I was sceptical but genuinely it's so much better than hard keys.

Samsung have made my choice easier as I liked a few things on that phone but stock android is definitely a winner on its own.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Hmmmm! Said the same at the start of this thread. What the f**k do I buy now. Apart from the pixel which is one of the ugliest new flagship phones all the others are dated, maybe apart from iPhone 7 but I won't buy another apple phone.

64gb note5? And a nice sim only deal... which aren't that good half the time, especially as I get 20% off Vodafone contract. Fancied a 6P also. Good camera and good specs. Hmmmm....

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Vodafone have a horrendous choice in phones, they never deviate at all for some reason.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
They won't stock it. They don't stock half the decent phones out there.

You can have an iPhone. An old iPhone. Or a Samsung S7 or shirty alternative.

Oh or a Vodafone smart phone....

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
Lol I noticed that too. I upgraded the other month to the s7 and gave it the Mrs. I kept my note 4 because there's nothing wrong with it.

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
They won't stock it. They don't stock half the decent phones out there.

You can have an iPhone. An old iPhone. Or a Samsung S7 or shirty alternative.

Oh or a Vodafone smart phone....

Get your phone with Giff Gaff, the actual phone service is monthly rolling so you can cancel at any time, you only have to pay for the phone per month, all phones are supplied unlocked.

Mind you not that they have anything other than the S7

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
So today I cancelled my O2 upgrade when handing back my Note 7 and bought myself a sim free S7 Edge. Ordered a BT sim as I get a discount for being a broadband customer.

Had my head set on a similar free iPhone 7 Plus but would miss the awesome AMOLED display and amazing camera. Also the fact that I have lady hands meant that operating the thing was very awkward. I also don't like IOS 10.

Since going sim free it also gives me the flexibility to swap to the S8 when that's released next year.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I'm thinking the same. Hold out maybe even for another Note.

I like the S7 edge. There was a cheap non edge on Ebay for cheap, I considered that short term or might go note 5 but lack of dust and water proof anboys me

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
My God it was a stupendous design...

597b80f4524305c698482ea9560597fd.jpg

Hmmm! Might actually bite the bullet and do a 12 month s7 edge deal.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I can't see why the lack of dust and waterproof-ness annoys you if you don't have it already, surely you will just be used to it (unless the note 4 has it?)

I think the Note (?) above looks awful, too brick like and the home button is hideous, but I've been used to non physical home buttons for a few years now.
Out if interest, once you have the screen in use, are there other buttons on display? The back button, recent apps etc or are they elsewhere?

Edit: just realised that's an S7 edge but looks very similar to a note from what I can see.

Obviously we have different tastes as you have already discounted the Pixel on looks alone when it could be the best phone on the market if you read some reviews, even better than the Note before the exploding battery problems came out.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Yep the Note has capacitive back and multi tasking buttons (either side of the home button).

Agreed re: design. It was a nice phone but nothing special. Really can't see the sense in buying a normal S7 at this point. Cutting your nose off to spite your face. But if you want an expensive Samsung I guess you don't have much choice anymore lol.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
I just have to put it out there for the likes of @gally who are struggling to decide what next that the oneplus3 I'm using currently is fantastic. Looks brilliant, feels really well made, and runs stupidly fast. The finger print unlocking is fantastic, so so fast!

Dual SIM works brilliantly for work, and the best thing about it is the price tag. I paid £340 unlocked from O2.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Agree with the op3, my mate has one and it's really good, better than my N6 from what I've seen of it.
Ridiculous phone for the money.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I actually read a op3 review last night, it won best phone on Stuff.com in fairness. I considered it... i'm just not convinced, although the camera sounded alright and the price is a massive plus!

The above was a Note7 for whoever thought it was a s7edge. Better pic below, I thought it was awesome but that depends if you like the Note as the S7 edge is a beautiful piece of kit!

bgr-galaxy-note-7-12.jpg

note-7-pakistan__57387_zoom.jpg

Anyway it's gone and i'm sad! I haven' completely discounted the Pixel XL but I hate the design and the chin! The black looks better but still not nice. Possibly go for a 6P and try Nexus, camera is meant to be very good also.

The watreproof and expandable storage is the S7 edge's advantage and the battery is immense.

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
So, my iPhone 5 has pretty much given up on me, the charging point only works around 10% of the time, the screen is knackered and I've used up all the storage. I'm just on a SIM only deal with GiffGaff at the moment but looking into getting a contract but it's been ages since I got a new phone as I bought this iPhone aaaaages ago second hand.

Looking at S7 and S7 Edge as it seems a brilliant all rounder, and the expandable storage is a massive selling point for me. Prefer the screen on the Edge to the S7 but can't help thinking it'll be a bit too big coming from an iPhone 5 (I'm not keen on big bulky phones). Pixel has also got me interested but is it worth the extra £?

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I went from a iPhone 5 to iPhone 6. The phone felt big for about a week then you get used to it. The difference between the S7 Edge and iPhone Plus is that the iPhone Plus is actually a big phone. Too big for my girly hands. The Note 7 and S7 Edge were/are big screen crammed into smaller phones.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
So, my iPhone 5 has pretty much given up on me, the charging point only works around 10% of the time, the screen is knackered and I've used up all the storage. I'm just on a SIM only deal with GiffGaff at the moment but looking into getting a contract but it's been ages since I got a new phone as I bought this iPhone aaaaages ago second hand.

Looking at S7 and S7 Edge as it seems a brilliant all rounder, and the expandable storage is a massive selling point for me. Prefer the screen on the Edge to the S7 but can't help thinking it'll be a bit too big coming from an iPhone 5 (I'm not keen on big bulky phones). Pixel has also got me interested but is it worth the extra £?
Depends what you want to be honest. If you want something good value. Check out the Moto G4 Plus. £200 and all the gear. The camera is probably not as good as iPhone 5 though.

If you want a good camera then the Galaxy S7 is good, the Pixel is better. Look up the camera demos online- the thing is insane.

Before buying a Samsung edge phone, try one. I found the edge on the Note a compromise, and the angle of the taper is less than on the Galaxy Edge.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Just got my "brand new" work phone. It's a brand new in box, 16GB iPhone 5S.... Curtousy of EE. Wtf?!

Yeah it could be worse. My work phone is a Galaxy S5 mini. Believe it's being replaced with a Samsung A5 (is that a thing?) at some point. Hate the things. I'm all iOS and just can't get to grips with Andriod. In its defence, its all locked down and I have to use the apps supplied for email etc which is probably half the issue. I connected my own iPhone to the company server for a bit but got told off. Oops! Worked like a dream though.