ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The PlayStation 4 Thread.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Has anyone changed their standard HDD for something else? If so, did you notice any real difference in loading times? A large SSD is too expensive, but there are plenty of sites singing the praises of a Hitachi ZK Drive which is about £50 for 1TB.

Listerine & Poledo
either go full SSD or dont bother, a Hybrid drive is pretty pointless for a PS4 if I'm understanding them right.

An SSD will make it a lot faster for loading times of course, but as you've already noted, it's the dollars

jonno_c

ClioSport Club Member
  VW T6
So the Mrs spoilt me with a PS4 for Christmas and I got The Last Of Us. Probably going to get Black Ops 3 but need some other ideas on games. These Lego games look good, anyone recommend any?
I'm not a hard core gamer so nothing too tech like Metal Gear solid etc!! Don't have the patience!

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
So the Mrs spoilt me with a PS4 for Christmas and I got The Last Of Us. Probably going to get Black Ops 3 but need some other ideas on games. These Lego games look good, anyone recommend any?
I'm not a hard core gamer so nothing too tech like Metal Gear solid etc!! Don't have the patience!

I have the last of us aka crawl about.. I liked resident evil 15 years ago, but I don't know why they still release games with the same mechanics as it.. Not a fan myself... second sun lasted about 8 minutes before I turned it off and Fifa didn't make it out he packet..

Careful what you buy, some games are trash even if they have a following, while others will take over your life..

Rocket league is better than half the cr@p out.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
The last of us is a good game once you get into it.

Also the Lego games are fun, I have Jurassic world and it's quite funny.

jonno_c

ClioSport Club Member
  VW T6
I haven't missed these b******s updates ; ( I just want to shoot things and now have a 30min wait for the game to update!
You never got this with the SNES! !

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Which drive did you get mate? I installed Fallout 4 last week and it told me I was out of room so I had to delete some stuff.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Which drive did you get mate? I installed Fallout 4 last week and it told me I was out of room so I had to delete some stuff.
It's cheaper to buy a packaged external HDD than it is to buy the drive. I bought the Seagate Expansion Portable 2TB, you can get it on Amazon or from Argos for £60. You take the drive out of the caddy, remove the SATA bit on the end and then it's a simple swap.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0084LZI5Y/?tag=cliospnet01-21
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-how-to-cheaply-upgrade-your-ps4-to-2tb

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
It's cheaper to buy a packaged external HDD than it is to buy the drive. I bought the Seagate Expansion Portable 2TB, you can get it on Amazon or from Argos for £60. You take the drive out of the caddy, remove the SATA bit on the end and then it's a simple swap.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0084LZI5Y/?tag=cliospnet01-21
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-how-to-cheaply-upgrade-your-ps4-to-2tb

As a few posts back, have you noticed improvements in loading times and do they just stop there? Is online gaming sharper or not noticeable..

Id happily upgrade if there is an actual improvement in performance, online mainly.

Listerine & Poledo
As a few posts back, have you noticed improvements in loading times and do they just stop there? Is online gaming sharper or not noticeable..

Id happily upgrade if there is an actual improvement in performance, online mainly.
The hard drive speed will not affect your online gaming. For that you'd need to look to your internet connection.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
The hard drive speed will not affect your online gaming. For that you'd need to look to your internet connection.

I suspect all the game side is loaded up and played, but I read something that said the games flowed better and some other jibber jabber.. There was talk saying the original drives aren't great and rushed into the machines, which is normal.. my connection is fast, but online still falls on its face sometimes and I wondered if it was ps4 side and not online like I always moan... The lagggggg the f-ing laggggg

Listerine & Poledo
I suspect all the game side is loaded up and played, but I read something that said the games flowed better and some other jibber jabber.. There was talk saying the original drives aren't great and rushed into the machines, which is normal.. my connection is fast, but online still falls on its face sometimes and I wondered if it was ps4 side and not online like I always moan... The lagggggg the f-ing laggggg
Server connection. Purely to do with that.
I've got a launch-edition PS4 and haven't had any problems (yet, at least). I may not do much online gaming, but War Thunder and Drive Club was running fine even on my basic ADSL broadband

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member

That article shows the speed improvements with some common HDDs. The Samsung one I've got shows minor improvements over the standard one. There's a Hitachi 7200RPM one which is better in terms of speed, but it's negligible, and it's also £50 for 1TB, so more expensive per gig - I thought about going with the 1TB, but didn't want to be filling up another drive any time soon, seeing as games will only continue to get bigger, so went for the 2TB 5200RPM option. You'll see good speed increases with SSD, but the Crucial one recommended is £90 for 250GB I think, so very expensive, and I'm not sure you can get large SSD drives yet, and if you can 1TB+ will probably set you back more than the value of the console.

It's a shame you can't have a small SSD which has the most recent game(s) in it's memory and the boot stuff and then another drive that can store all your extra stuff on and then it puts your recent stuff on the SSD for quicker access. Would've cost more upfront though and more space in the box so not really a good business decision from Sony.

With Xbox One, I know you can have external HDDs, does this mean you could put a small SSD in the console and then store stuff on an ex-HDD?

With regards to online, @Goodj is right, although you might get better rendering etc with a faster drive, I'm not sure what comes from the internet and what the game itself is rendering. Then again, I've never really noticed rendering issues with the standard drive, and as the article I posted above states, they had to test on a frame by frame basis to find minute differences.

Also, the bonus of getting that Seagate drive is the HDD that comes out of your PS4 can be put into the Seagate caddy and then you have yourself a fully working 500MB ex-HDD should you need it.

Listerine & Poledo
Online data is purely position and action data, it's not streaming renderings, that would destroy any connection.
As what is rendering will be in cached memory anyway, as you found, the hard drive will have minor, if any, difference.

It's all about loading times and capacity when you're changing your hard drive. Just like in any other PCs

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Just found out I can charge my controller from my iPhone charger, literally game changing for me.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
Just found out I can charge my controller from my iPhone charger, literally game changing for me.

I found it doesn't have the power to keep up with the drain of using the controller.. I had to plug mine directly into the machine itself..

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
My Xp500 were ok but the adjustment on the cups was annoying and I had to take them off to do it as I always forgot what buttons did that.. Then the signal dropped off during gaming, perhaps interference from the tv or ps4..

My a40's wiring is painful, but the control mixer, easy use and lack of battery's is a win.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I found it doesn't have the power to keep up with the drain of using the controller.. I had to plug mine directly into the machine itself..

Really? Arg! Such an arse way of doing it, I don't sit 10cm in front of my ps4

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
I bought a 3m cable for the controller for the times it needs charging, or I plug it into my MacBook using the small cable as I generally have that next to me when I'm on the PS4.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Problem is if you use a longer cable, they don't charge with enough power.

A4 Avant
are there any good packages around for a 500gb? Looked Boxing Day and they all seem to have gone. Best I've found is Game with COD 4 with little big planet for £285 then get gta v off amazon for £32. Anything better? I'd like the new 500gb if possible.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
Seems the case, I did a google earlier and it's always been flagged on something called Twitter?

It's a shame as I want to spend the night ruining people on Black ops and getting called an optic fanboy camper... Trololol

jonno_c

ClioSport Club Member
  VW T6
Seems the case, I did a google earlier and it's always been flagged on something called Twitter?

It's a shame as I want to spend the night ruining people on Black ops and getting called an optic fanboy camper... Trololol
I wanted to find out the best places to die on Black Ops. That's my speciality at the moment.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Seen this controller and now I want it:

goldfinger_-_full_gold_custom_ps4_controller_w__gold_analogs.jpg