ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I'm so tempted to just buy a 1080 as, like you @SharkyUK I don't need one but the wee guy in my head says I do lol.

Apparently the Ti will be able to achieve that 2560 x 1440 @ >144Hz with ease. I've heard some 1080s don't quite get there?

F82 M4
I'm so tempted to just buy a 1080 as, like you @SharkyUK I don't need one but the wee guy in my head says I do lol.

Apparently the Ti will be able to achieve that 2560 x 1440 @ >144Hz with ease. I've heard some 1080s don't quite get there?

I game @ 1440p 144hz with mine and smash every game I throw at it. The only game I have that dips under 100fps is Witcher 3 which still looks smooth as hell on the Gsync screen

I have the EVGA FTW version :smile:

F82 M4
IMG_20170125_142434.jpg

F82 M4
Quite a few 1080's popping up on ebay currently. I'm probably going to be looking for around £450 for mine?

I'm definitely holding out for the EVGA aftermarket cooler ones though. So they might be quite a few weeks off yet

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Anyone played the Metro games? 2033 Redux and last light. They are £4 each on CDKeys so if they are good then I'll go for them.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Gonna have to get myself another SSD drive soon with all these nice cheap games.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Just need motherboard, CPU and GPU now, was waiting for all the Ryzen stuff to come out and die down before buying in the hope that there may be some Intel price drops ;)
Looking at a 7700k and a GTX1700, see can get a founders edition 1700 for £360 now and the blower style cooler would suit my case given the limited room/airflow.
Are the founders edition coolers that much worse on noise and/or performance than any of the other cards?

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
@ChrisR If you dont mind waiting a month or so you can have my MSI Gaming 1070 for £250? Fans dont spin up until 60 degrees.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Anyone after a 3 month old Corsair Air 540 in white? Its been returned to stock with brand new case fans fitted.

Looking for £80.

31961219802_3512890e7f_b.jpg

How it looked when built.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Will have to check if it fits as the height is right on the limits of what the case will take.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member

I've got the EVGA Founder Edition 1080 and it copes with 2560x1440 with no problem at all. As already pointed out I've only had issues with Witcher 3 when I've maxed everything including the Hairworks stuff. Even then, the GSync monitor keeps things buttery smooth. In fact, Witcher 3 looks incredible in places (IMHO).

I may have the opportunity to get to play with the Poseidon model in tandem with a write up. Can do a compare with the Titan also.
Do it - you know you want to. Well... I'd like you to.

I've just received my invite from nVidia to pre-order a 1080 Ti (max. of 3 units). I think I'll wait though as I don't want the Founders Edition.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

Yep - the same as Andy replied to this. I've got the EVGA 1080 FTW Edition with the additional AIO cooler attached.

It's default mode is 2560x1440 @ 144hz for everything. A couple of games like DOOM and DiRT try to upscale to 4K as well - but it doesn't look quite right on the screen.

In other words, with a couple of exceptions - the 1080 is perfect for the current crop of games.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
How does that compare to the hybrid?
Tbh honest m8 - it was worth every penny. Of course, you can buy the FTW Hybrid card assembled already from the factory - but that didn't get released for several months after the original stock of the vanilla FTW.

With the stock FTW - I tried allsorts of fan management tweaking - even to the point of ramping the fans up at a constant rate in an effect to stop the heat from spiking and letting them sound like I had a bloody Chinook helicopter in the PC case. I could guarantee a few games that would kick the card into a cooling frenzy after about 10 minutes of play. DOOM always did it, Warframe never did. Some of the higher-detailed RTSs also got the fans to spool up annoyingly.

Since the cooler has been in - I have background pump noise and that's it. A fraction of what I had before and as said, worth every penny. I have an AIO cooler on both my CPU and graphics card now, so there's very little in the way of any case fan noise.

Note with the EVGA 1080 AIO coolers - there are two versions. One for the 'standard' 1080 and another for the FTW version. The actual layout is different between the cards, hence a difference in the cooler kit.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Cool, due to the layout of my case, which puts the card fans hard up against a window, I'm looking to having a card next time around with an AiO on it so I can dump the heat out through the top of the case instead of trying to suck against perspex.

Evo 5 RS
I've got the EVGA Founder Edition 1080 and it copes with 2560x1440 with no problem at all. As already pointed out I've only had issues with Witcher 3 when I've maxed everything including the Hairworks stuff. Even then, the GSync monitor keeps things buttery smooth. In fact, Witcher 3 looks incredible in places (IMHO).

Do it - you know you want to. Well... I'd like you to.

I've just received my invite from nVidia to pre-order a 1080 Ti (max. of 3 units). I think I'll wait though as I don't want the Founders Edition.

My name was put forward, would like to. It's an easy topic to cover which means covering it well is also easy

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Tbh honest m8 - it was worth every penny. Of course, you can buy the FTW Hybrid card assembled already from the factory - but that didn't get released for several months after the original stock of the vanilla FTW.

With the stock FTW - I tried allsorts of fan management tweaking - even to the point of ramping the fans up at a constant rate in an effect to stop the heat from spiking and letting them sound like I had a bloody Chinook helicopter in the PC case. I could guarantee a few games that would kick the card into a cooling frenzy after about 10 minutes of play. DOOM always did it, Warframe never did. Some of the higher-detailed RTSs also got the fans to spool up annoyingly.

Since the cooler has been in - I have background pump noise and that's it. A fraction of what I had before and as said, worth every penny. I have an AIO cooler on both my CPU and graphics card now, so there's very little in the way of any case fan noise.

Note with the EVGA 1080 AIO coolers - there are two versions. One for the 'standard' 1080 and another for the FTW version. The actual layout is different between the cards, hence a difference in the cooler kit.
How much were those AIO coolers?

My 980Ti gets so hot when multi-boxing Eve that I'd like a way to cool it down a bit more than just ramping up the fans (loud).

There are some on eBay for it for £125, seems like a lot to me for a rad and some pipe..

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
So I buckled and bought another SSD. Went for a SanDisk Ultra II 960Gb. Not the fastest but doesn't need to be for storing my steam games.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Another for the EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 here, too. I've had two EVGA 780 Ti's, two 980 Ti's and a 1080 and they've always been great in terms of product, performance and support.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
How much were those AIO coolers?

My 980Ti gets so hot when multi-boxing Eve that I'd like a way to cool it down a bit more than just ramping up the fans (loud).

There are some on eBay for it for £125, seems like a lot to me for a rad and some pipe..

They aren't the cheapest - mine was around the same price. At first, I wanted it for aesthetics first, noise reduction second. But having bought it, those have definitely swapped places. The lack of fan noise really is appreciated - by me, anyway.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/evg...hics-cards-dedicated-copper-plate-for-memory-

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
So I bought Battlefield 1 today since it was half price on Origin. I was reluctant to buy it as I have it for the Xbox but the 50% off made it easier to swallow.

My current GPU (1070) is giving my between 75 and 85 FPS @ 2560x1440. Not bad really but just curious to hear what other folk are getting. My monitor is a G-Sync 144Hz monitor so plenty of scope to see the benefit of more FPS. How would a 1080 do for example?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
So I bought Battlefield 1 today since it was half price on Origin. I was reluctant to buy it as I have it for the Xbox but the 50% off made it easier to swallow.

My current GPU (1070) is giving my between 75 and 85 FPS @ 2560x1440. Not bad really but just curious to hear what other folk are getting. My monitor is a G-Sync 144Hz monitor so plenty of scope to see the benefit of more FPS. How would a 1080 do for example?
I can only speak for my system but it is around the 115-125fps mark (EVGA GTX 1080)

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I'm keeping an eye out on eBay for 1080 bargains but people seem to be going off their heads with bidding for them. One of the STRIX 1080s just went for more than you can buy it new for from OCUK. Ridiculous.