ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
AMD Ryzen is looking rather tasty (and soooo much cheaper than Intel). Hopefully this is the kick needed to bring Intel's prices down along with their chipset costs!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Those things are good for running pretty much stock, just overclock your 6900K
I already am doing mate, although nothing too mental. She's running nice and cool on water despite running at 4Ghz and being given Hell pretty much on a daily basis :) I'm not ashamed to admit I'm an Intel and NVidia fan but still hope that they may consider their pricing strategy in light of what AMD had delivered. The AMD hardware bodes well for, say, things like forthcoming games consoles.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Have you pulled the trigger on a GPU purchase yet?
Not yet, still waiting/dithering on getting the CPU, motherboard and GPU.
Was all set to go with a 7700k then all the Ryzen stuff kicked in and now I'm hesitating lol
I need mini ITX so can't go Ryzen yet even if I wanted to, but am aware that when the lower end Ryzen chips and ITX boards are finally released it could maybe add some pressure on Intel to maybe have a few more price cuts.
Similar for GPU, will Vega have much affect on prices, the plan at the moment is to get a 1070 of some description.
I think I'll probably be impatient though and as soon as the case arrives (just in customs now) I'll likely just order it all :smile:

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Not yet, still waiting/dithering on getting the CPU, motherboard and GPU.
Was all set to go with a 7700k then all the Ryzen stuff kicked in and now I'm hesitating lol
I need mini ITX so can't go Ryzen yet even if I wanted to, but am aware that when the lower end Ryzen chips and ITX boards are finally released it could maybe add some pressure on Intel to maybe have a few more price cuts.
Similar for GPU, will Vega have much affect on prices, the plan at the moment is to get a 1070 of some description.
I think I'll probably be impatient though and as soon as the case arrives (just in customs now) I'll likely just order it all :smile:
Not fancy a slightly bigger case that'll do ATX motherboards? Gives you so much more flexibility.

I'm still swithering on weather to go 1080 or wait on the Ti. The Strix 1080 is £579 with £50 cashback so really is £529. You also get either For Honor or Ghost Recon for free so thats £40 if you were gonna buy that (Which I think I will). So really its £489 which is tempting.

Evo 5 RS
Not fancy a slightly bigger case that'll do ATX motherboards? Gives you so much more flexibility.

I'm still swithering on weather to go 1080 or wait on the Ti. The Strix 1080 is £579 with £50 cashback so really is £529. You also get either For Honor or Ghost Recon for free so thats £40 if you were gonna buy that (Which I think I will). So really its £489 which is tempting.
You won't get a Strix 1080Ti for anywhere close to that fella, so depends how much you're willing to throw at it

F82 M4
I'll probably sell my EVGA FTW 1080 for around £400 for a quick sale. Just waiting on the release of their FTW3 first :)

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
You won't get a Strix 1080Ti for anywhere close to that fella, so depends how much you're willing to throw at it

Really I should wait to the Ti comes out before deciding. The founders Ti is £700. So realistically the other manufacturers will be £700-£800? Founders are usually more expensive eh?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Really I should wait to the Ti comes out before deciding. The founders Ti is £700. So realistically the other manufacturers will be £700-£800? Founders are usually more expensive eh?
Rumours are that some of the better-performing 1080 Ti's could tip the scales around the £829+ mark (disclaimer - not my rumours). Especially those with trick cooling systems. This is a one heck of a powerful GPU. That said, Volta isn't too far away either so... another upgrade soon, eh chaps? LOL!

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I'm sure that with some shopping around you could get a pair of 1080s and run them in SLI for that monies.

Think it'll be Founder's Edition for me if the aftermarket ones are that rich.

Last edited:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I'm sure that with some shopping around you could get a pair of 1080s and run them in SLI for that monies.

Think it'll be Founder's Edition for me if the aftermarket ones are that rich.
I'll have a 1080 (non-Ti) Founders Edition going for a good price if you want one of those and can wait until I've received my Ti... :p

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
£435 buy it now for a Founders Edition 1080.

Lowest I've seen so far.

And another buy it now for £760 for 2 plus SLI bridge.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Its definitely looking good for Ryzen 7. Give them some time to sort out BIOS issues and they'll be even more competitive.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
So... who's heading over to Scan.co.uk in Bolton to pick up a GTX 1080 Ti on Friday night? I guess stock will be limited and queues quite long. And a lot of nerdy pissy stale smells in the air... :p

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Oh god, do people really do that?

I am really liking the idea of an EVGA hybrid card... Is it more cost effective to sell my 980Ti (probably get peanuts for it these days I guess?) and buy the actual EVGA card.

Or buy the cooler to fit my 980Ti ?? (£120 ish)

Bare in mind that I don't really tax my card, but I do have a 1440p 144hz screen, so there is definitely scope for improvement!

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Lol. Think I'll be waiting on the Strix or EVGA FTW 3 (Leaning towards this one at the mo). I assume it'll be founders editions only on Friday?

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
So... who's heading over to Scan.co.uk in Bolton to pick up a GTX 1080 Ti on Friday night? I guess stock will be limited and queues quite long. And a lot of nerdy pissy stale smells in the air... :tongueout:
I think you should definitely get in that queue to make sure you get one :wink:

Think I've worked out what I'm doing now, ultimately a Ryzen solution could be beneficial for me and plans I have, but its not viable yet due to ITX and also would like to see some of the kinks ironed out.
So will pickup a 7700k and motherboard next week to use for a while at least, if it ends up doing everything I need then great, if more cores would be useful can change it later.
Can also use onboard gfx until I get a dedicated card in there, no rush for that.
Glad I picked up a few parts a few weeks ago, the nvme drive is now £60 more and the that RAM (from Scan) cost me £190 is now almost £340 for the same kit!!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Oh god, do people really do that?
Sadly they do mate... and I would highly recommend upgrading to the 1080 series, too.

Lol. Think I'll be waiting on the Strix or EVGA FTW 3 (Leaning towards this one at the mo). I assume it'll be founders editions only on Friday?
Yep - FE only to the best of my knowledge. I don't think there are any others available for release just yet. It's worth waiting for the board partners to bring their variants to market as you're going to be getting another 10-20% performance on top of the 'reference' cards. But it will no doubt cost ya! In for a penny...

I think you should definitely get in that queue to make sure you get one :wink:
Hahaha, I hear you mate! Sadly I'm waiting a little longer so I can get, most likely, an EVGA product.

Evo 5 RS
Wait for the decent partner cards. If all you want is an FE card, you might as well try and pick up a Titan X cheap. Some mongs seem to be in a rush to sell them lol.

F82 M4
I think I'm going to give it a miss tbh. The Asus Strix is over £800 so I assume the FTW3 is going to be a similar price. I'll probably only get around £450 for my 1080 so I don't think it's worth an extra £350 really

I may as well just SLI :wink: