ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

tie rod Replacement

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
I've got a tool you can borrow mate, made it 10000000000000 times easier when I did mine.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
With the proper tool it's a piece of cake, getting the boot on can be a pain though.
I found the drivers side a total arsehole and the passenger side a piece of cake?

Don't forget to have the tracking done after, you can never get it perfect by counting the number of turns on the TRE.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
My tracking already pulls the car left so will definitely need doing. Both looked reasonable when checking them today. Seems space won't be too much of an issue but still nothing is ever easy. Thank you for all the help everyone

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
The tool makes it so much easier. I tried with a fan spanner cut in half that @dann2707 lent me but I couldn't get enough leverage on it to free them up.

172 Turbo
The tool makes it so much easier. I tried with a fan spanner cut in half that @dann2707 lent me but I couldn't get enough leverage on it to free them up.
Same, tried and failed on one side. Bought the tool.

On the other, got the nut on the TRE off, angle grinder through the tie rod and unscrewed it!

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Same, tried and failed on one side. Bought the tool.

On the other, got the nut on the TRE off, angle grinder through the tie rod and unscrewed it!

Exactly what I did.

@Louis' Just make sure when you unscrew the TRE you count how many turns it takes to come off so you've got a rough idea of where to put the new one on.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
It's somewhere between 100 and 1000 turns, the rod is f**king huge.
I lost count, then just tracked it by eye and drove straight to the alignment place.

Wasn't a million miles out either.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
It's somewhere between 100 and 1000 turns, the rod is f**king huge.
I lost count, then just tracked it by eye and drove straight to the alignment place.

Wasn't a million miles out either.

Eh, I'm sure mine was only like 15 turns or something 😂

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Leave the TRE on the tie rod, angle grind the rod about half way.

Put new tie rod in, measure the amount of remaining threads between the TRE lock nut and the last thread on the rod.

Wind new TRE on until you reach the same said remaining threads.

Hope that makes sense, it does to me 😂

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Are there any torque values I need to be tightening the tie rod to when replacing? Also, do I want to be greasing it up, or just leaving it dry under the boot?

renault clio 1.4 16v
i recall the torque on the nut being in the region of 40 to 45nm, but I just generally make it tight, (1 grunt tight as the landrover guys say) since most of the nuts are nyloc nowdays anyway, ball joints come pre greased, some of them have a grease nipple on the back but if it dosnt then there is no way to grease them unless you drill and tap a grease nipple into them...