ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tim's Forged LY R26

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Spec update

Engine
(original engine rebuilt by RS Tuning)
- 83mm CP Carillo pistons
- Manley rods
- ACL big end bearings
- Catcams cams
- Supertech valves
- Supertech double spring kit
- 630cc injectors
- RS Tuning Megane 250 hybrid turbo
- Forge recirc value and actuator
- ITG induction kit with larger ITG filter
- Forge intercooler
- Forge hard pipe kit
- Forge coolant hoses
- Mocal oil catch can
- Varley 25 battery
- Powdercoated inlet, engine mount, oil breather plate and brackets
- Ktec 3" exhaust
- Mapped by RS Tuning 329.9bhp and 360lbft

Transmission
- R26 refurbished original gearbox
- RS Tuning SMF
- R26.r clutch

Handling
- Cooksport lowering springs
- R26 dampers and topmounts
- Poweflex lower arm and ARB bushes
- Powerflex engine mount bushes
- Ktec stud conversion kit
- R26 anthracite alloys with AD08R tyres
- R26 red alloys with R888R tyres

Braking
- Carbotech XP8 front pads
- Brembo HC front discs
- Ferodo DS2500 rear pads
- Renault drilled rear discs
- Goodridge brake hoses
- ATE Super Blue fluid

Interior and Exterior
- GoPro mount above radio display
- Scanguage II
- AEM AFR gauge
- Recaro seat base carbon build no. decals
- R26.r spoiler in LY
- MEGANE badge delete

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
How much did the engine build cost from a standard engine if you don't mind me asking? I've 100% decided to keep mine now.

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
How much did the engine build cost from a standard engine if you don't mind me asking? I've 100% decided to keep mine now.

Brand new hybrid turbo £1250
30 hours labour £1800
Machining £456
CP Pistons and Manley rods £1200
Catcams cams £654
Supertech valves £300
Supertech double spring kit £360
630cc injectors £180
Bearings £187
Oil pump £198
Water pump £75
Aux and Cam Belt kits £240
Gaskets, bolts etc £274
Oil spray jets £44

You can add it up lol 🙈

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Brand new hybrid turbo £1250
30 hours labour £1800
Machining £456
CP Pistons and Manley rods £1200
Catcams cams £654
Supertech valves £300
Supertech double spring kit £360
630cc injectors £180
Bearings £187
Oil pump £198
Water pump £75
Aux and Cam Belt kits £240
Gaskets, bolts etc £274
Oil spray jets £44

You can add it up lol 🙈

I did, and I've decided I'm not doing that!

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
I did, and I've decided I'm not doing that!

It's the labour and the little bits like gaskets, oil pumps etc that add up. You could probably do it for £3.5k if you did most of the work yourself, reuse original turbo, and didn't bother with cams and the spring kit.

LY Megane R26 230
Wow read thread from start to end and I admire your dedication to getting the car just the way you want it and not giving in at the various hurdles you've faced.

Was looking at getting mine over 300 bhp but I'll think I'll just settle for stage 1 as I don't fancy spending that much cash :smile:

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
Wow read thread from start to end and I admire your dedication to getting the car just the way you want it and not giving in at the various hurdles you've faced.

Was looking at getting mine over 300 bhp but I'll think I'll just settle for stage 1 as I don't fancy spending that much cash :smile:

Thanks, it's appreciated.

The power is great so I don't regret forging the engine. In hindsight though I should have bought a new gearbox from Renault and got RS Tuning to rebuild the engine first time round.

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
Does it put the power down well enough?

Must be an absolute hoot to drive.

When I first got it back I had 225 width AD08R tyres on front and it was a handful. It was a very skittish torque steering in 2nd and 3rd.

Now I've fitted 235 width AD08R tyres to the front it puts power down really well in every gear. Acceleration is effortless so a lot of the time I don't even have to change down to make progress.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
As a friend said to me... quality isn't cheap! The more I've followed your build the more I can't wait to get my Trophy back. Your Meg sounds awesome mate. Proper job! :)

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
As a friend said to me... quality isn't cheap! The more I've followed your build the more I can't wait to get my Trophy back. Your Meg sounds awesome mate. Proper job! :smile:

Thanks Andy :)

Yes, there are lot of similarities between them. Both of us have had more than our fair share of issues!

I'm looking forward to seeing Trophy running again. I'll admit I'm bit jealous of your digital dash and data logging functionality. That's one thing I'd like on the Megane along with a custom wiring loom to tidy the engine bay.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I'm looking forward to seeing Trophy running again. I'll admit I'm bit jealous of your digital dash and data logging functionality. That's one thing I'd like on the Megane along with a custom wiring loom to tidy the engine bay.
Hopefully the major issues are all in the past now! :smile: For both our sakes (wallets!) :tonguewink:

I wouldn't be too jealous of the dash mate; you've got one heck of nice Megane there with a proper engine spec. None of this half-assed rubbish... :smile: That said, I am looking forward to having the ability to monitor the individual EGT's (I bought 4x EGT sensors when I purchased the ECU). These will be set up to trigger alarms on the dash should the temperatures reach unexpected levels. The MaxxECU is pretty cool and has some nice fail safes. For example, if the oil or fuel pressure rises unexpectedly or the EGT or coolant temperatures get too high then the ECU can throttle back to a limited 3k rpm. If the problem persists the ECU can be programmed to shut down the engine. I'm hoping they are features I won't need to be familiar with!

Regarding the wiring loom, Mike is fabricating a nice adapter block for me. That way, if the engine needs to be put in / taken out, we can simply connect / disconnect via the block adapter with minimal fuss and hassle.

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
Taken the R26 to the Nurburgring this weekend :grinning:

DF250E71-8281-426C-904A-C8918C1B0B40_zpsbujxralh.jpg

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Bent rod, the chances of me getting a replacement engine or rebuilt between now and then is slim, granted I'll chuck a hybrid and bigger injectors in when I do while its out lol!

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
Bent rod, the chances of me getting a replacement engine or rebuilt between now and then is slim, granted I'll chuck a hybrid and bigger injectors in when I do while its out lol!

Makes sense lol.

I only forged the R26 because the gearbox went 😂

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
Fairly great effort along the way with this! Something much more satisfying about keeping a build for years than just buying another car. I appreciate it anyway even if your wallet doesn't :smile:

Thanks. It's been very trying and costly but yes it's definitely satisfying now it's working properly.

Alternative would have been to sell it last year and buy an M135 instead of rebuilding the engine but that probably wouldn't be as fun.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Alternative would have been to sell it last year and buy an M135 instead of rebuilding the engine but that probably wouldn't be as fun.
Great minds and all that... was contemplating a 1M but wasted all the money on the Clio Trophy instead. I don't know whether to laugh or cry! I think I'll have more fun in the Trophy though...

Glad you're enjoying it Tim and the 'Ring trip looked like a good one (even if the weather wasn't perhaps ideal).

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
Looks great tim

And good to hear all is well with the engine

Great minds and all that... was contemplating a 1M but wasted all the money on the Clio Trophy instead. I don't know whether to laugh or cry! I think I'll have more fun in the Trophy though...

Glad you're enjoying it Tim and the 'Ring trip looked like a good one (even if the weather wasn't perhaps ideal).

Thanks Andy. I'd love a 1M but think that ship has sailed away 😂