ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tim's Forged LY R26

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Couple of photos from this weekend. I'll post a full write and lap videos in next few days.

Summary is that it was a great trip despite snow meaning we didn't get as many dry laps as we had hoped. The red wheels are wrapped in R888R tyres which were great in wet and dry.

It was slightly annoying that conditions meant you were never 100% confident in what you would find round the next corner or over the next crest. Lap times show that with being able to cut 30 seconds off my time in four laps!

I'm nowhere near the potential of the car at moment. Think it's going to take a few trackdays to get used to pushing it hard again.

Passenger lap with @Fletcher showed that there's a lot more speed to be carried in corners up to Hohe Acht. I'm pretty much flat out from Wipperman/Brunnchen to the Gantry though.

EF53F45B-48BC-4ED2-9759-FFAC41645997_zpsimy8f2ii.jpg

EF9C6A68-CA50-410A-8A09-2AB0DE64D198_zpsyxalohcl.jpg

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Megane looks great, glad you're getting some good use out of it after the rebuild.

I hope the weather picks up as I'm heading out in two weeks. What's that app for data logging? (Apologies if you've said)

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
Megane looks great, glad you're getting some good use out of it after the rebuild.

I hope the weather picks up as I'm heading out in two weeks. What's that app for data logging? (Apologies if you've said)

Thanks Rob.

App is Harry's Laptimer Petrolhead Edition. It's very easy to use, select the track e.g. NordschleifeBTG then it automatically starts and stops timer via GPS.

Fletcher was using it and it looked good so I bought it on Saturday morning.

21696B89-6BA7-4937-B691-40D1C6E1B25B_zpshqaszzbc.png

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I'll start uploading the 8.35 when I get home. My best lap was probably a 9.52 when I had to coast home from Kesselchen after running out of fuel 😂
8:35 is a very respectable lap time mate!

A bloke who was staying in the same hotel as us ran out of fuel one year and joined the Bonngard club. He was in a RS4 and when he started his lap the fuel light was on..............he was also a smug prick, so I took great delight in taking the piss out of him continuously!! When his mates joined in as well it became a touchy subject. Lol!

Did the pointers help out mate?

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
8:35 is a very respectable lap time mate!

A bloke who was staying in the same hotel as us ran out of fuel one year and joined the Bonngard club. He was in a RS4 and when he started his lap the fuel light was on..............he was also a smug prick, so I took great delight in taking the piss out of him continuously!! When his mates joined in as well it became a touchy subject. Lol!

Did the pointers help out mate?

Yes, I was pleased with the time especially as car is basically new to me and conditions weren't ideal. It's getting the lines right and more bravery/not lifting in places that's required now.

The pointers helped a bit but to remember everything and drive the lap is difficult. @Fletcher and I didn't see any of the white dots for turn in points 😂

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Yes, I was pleased with the time especially as car is basically new to me and conditions weren't ideal. It's getting the lines right and more bravery/not lifting in places that's required now.

The pointers helped a bit but to remember everything and drive the lap is difficult. @Fletcher and I didn't see any of the white dots for turn in points 😂
If I manage to get there in July and you guys are out there I'll take you and @Fletcher out for a passenger lap mate. Show you lines/bravery etc. :wink:

Yeah unfortunately it's a track where experience and track knowledge is key. The turn in dots have probably gone then now mate. They were there the last time I was out there! 🙈

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
If I manage to get there in July and you guys are out there I'll take you and @Fletcher out for a passenger lap mate. Show you lines/bravery etc. :wink:

Yeah unfortunately it's a track where experience and track knowledge is key. The turn in dots have probably gone then now mate. They were there the last time I was out there! 🙈

That would be great. Following in my R26 would good as well as I know it handles and grips as well as any Clio.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
As requested @NorthloopCup :tonguewink:

I lost about 3 seconds because of the yellow flag and had to lift quite a few times because of the white BMW.

I've had a quick watch mate. Loads of areas for improvement just from a lot of the holdups that you had, but looks a cracking lap tbf.

It's quite clear to see that it covers ground very easily though. Will have a proper watch this afternoon and make a few notes mate. :up:

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
I've had a quick watch mate. Loads of areas for improvement just from a lot of the holdups that you had, but looks a cracking lap tbf.

It's quite clear to see that it covers ground very easily though. Will have a proper watch this afternoon and make a few notes mate. :up:

Things I'm aware of are not lifting through Tiergarten. Taking more curb through bends leading to Flugplatz, and not lifting before Flugplatz. I could probably carry more speed down to Aremburg, and through the Foxhole then use curb on exit of Adenauer Forst.

Miss Hit Miss I found I could carry more speed by taking a wider line. Ex Muhle needs work on entry to carry more speed. Then the drag up to Karrussel needs a bit of bravery to not lift in places.

Entry into Hohe Acht can definitely carry more speed. Reasonably happy with the rest of the lap apart from entry into Eschbach which I could probably try taking in fourth then down to third for Brunnchen.

Great video Tim!

As Mark said the Megane certainly shifts, you must be over the moon after all the grief you've been through.

Yes, it's great to finally be able to use it properly again!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Things I'm aware of are not lifting through Tiergarten. Taking more curb through bends leading to Flugplatz, and not lifting before Flugplatz. I could probably carry more speed down to Aremburg, and through the Foxhole then use curb on exit of Adenauer Forst.

Miss Hit Miss I found I could carry more speed by taking a wider line. Ex Muhle needs work on entry to carry more speed. Then the drag up to Karrussel needs a bit of bravery to not lift in places.

Entry into Hohe Acht can definitely carry more speed. Reasonably happy with the rest of the lap apart from entry into Eschbach which I could probably try taking in fourth then down to third for Brunnchen.

Yes, it's great to finally be able to use it properly again!
Try and use the torque more as well mate. Your boost bus isn't making as much progress as it would if you short shifted and made the torque earn its wages. No point going near the limiter if you've got boost mate, as that's not how they make their power mate.

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
I finally managed to get my AEM AFR gauge working last weekend.

To power it I used a piggyback fuse holder and the 15amp Radio fuse as the source for my 12v switched power so it turns on and off with my ignition.

IMG_9208_zpse1n7kfpt.jpg

To give better access for feeding the wires where they needed to go I removed the glovebox.

IMG_9209_zps5jidghfh.jpg

Piggyback fuse holder in place.
IMG_9222_zpsl0aogjsf.jpg

To earth the circuit I used an eyelet connector fitted under the screw below.
IMG_9215_zpstwjaf2lk.jpg

To keep the carbon fibre panel in place I wanted something not too permanent so I've used double sided tape.
IMG_9224_zpssdeldxd4.jpg

And the gauge working with ignition on :grinning:
IMG_9225_zpsxqml0bhc.jpg

Thanks to @Matt e for the advice and for the rear brakes discs which are next on the to do list.

IMG_9227_zpsuhralefv.jpg

I fancy changing the rear DS2500 pads to something different so welcome any suggestions!

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
I'm using DS1.11 pads up front on HC discs. Immense pads. OE pads, discs. I guess it also depends on driving style, and suspension geo..... I really, really want to get back to the Nurburgring, especially in the Meg.

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Your lap looks like a good one, that Meg covers ground really well! Just got to attack the corners and ride the kerb/run off more in certain areas.

I have performance friction in the M3, I did 3 laps in a row and had limited brakes towards Adenau on the 3rd. (M3 standard brakes are dog s**t) but overal I rate the pad really highly, there's barely any brake dust from them. Good initial bite and a progressive feel once warm.

Pagid yellows also get good feedback if you can source them?

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
I have Performance Friction pads front and rear in the impreza, so far so good. :up:

Ktec sell them for £102 so not bad. Do you use the 97 compound?

You'll notice a difference with that cgr exhaust to bud

I'm still undecided. It looks great and I'd like one on my car but I don't really need it. My car is capable of 380bhp with a fuel system so my 3" Ktec exhaust isn't holding it back.

I'm using DS1.11 pads up front on HC discs. Immense pads. OE pads, discs. I guess it also depends on driving style, and suspension geo..... I really, really want to get back to the Nurburgring, especially in the Meg.

I'm using Carbotech XP8's up front on HC discs. Stopping power is fantastic.

Your lap looks like a good one, that Meg covers ground really well! Just got to attack the corners and ride the kerb/run off more in certain areas.

I have performance friction in the M3, I did 3 laps in a row and had limited brakes towards Adenau on the 3rd. (M3 standard brakes are dog s**t) but overal I rate the pad really highly, there's barely any brake dust from them. Good initial bite and a progressive feel once warm.

Pagid yellows also get good feedback if you can source them?

Yes, it's quick! I need to follow someone that knows the track well to learn where to ride the kerbs etc.

It was a shame the weather was so cold and it was the raining/snowing all weekend. I didn't push too hard just in case I was greeted by a wet track over the next crest! It happened one lap going through the Bellofs which was interesting....

I need to get some trackdays booked as it felt completely different to drive on track with it having more power, better tyres, brakes etc.

Think I'll try the PF97 in rear as that's two recommendations and price is the same as DS2500 pads.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Would have thought after everything you've been through those 2 gauges would have been a must.

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
Would have thought after everything you've been through those 2 gauges would have been a must.

I don't think a gauge would have made any difference. Scangauge shows water and air intake temperature so I see if anything out of ordinary is happening.

Think I'll install an oil pressure warning light, probably more likely to respond to that quickly than a gauge.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
The issue is that the f4r is catastrophically w**k for oil pressure mate. The majority of them run very low pressure, even when they're at full chat! I'm at the other extreme with mine. Lol - I've got too much pressure!!

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Air intake for what? Pre, post IC? Pre inlet?

Sorry just trying to understand what's going on with your setup.