ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toastfrenzy's Tin Top, some say...........

Things are progressing.....

received_1186041678134731_zps0gdg5a2m.jpg

Ships log 24-11-2016 17:15
2 days before the pick up of #17 this happens;

ScreenHunter_02%20Dec.%2005%2010.06_zpsv3ehjevy.jpg

I meet an errant 16 plate 116d BMW turning right, right in front of me whilst cycling home from work. I was at 20mph he would've been doing 10-15mph.

Safe to say I now can't drive anything, I'll list the primary\main diagnosis as on my hospital discharge sheet;
Comminuted left clavicle - (shattered in other words)
Lacerated wounds left eye brow
Lacerated wounds left knee
Puncture wound left ankle
and the best one,
acute haemorrhagic contusions affecting right frontal lobe cortex - (the knock to my head split my cycle helmet in two)

I've only just stated really getting things together and functioning to a reasonable degree as before.
The driver has passed all his details on and I've been in touch with his insurance - though they where a bit shocked at the value of my bike - so today getting in touch with a 3rd party (friend of family) who'll vet every thing to make sure all is going right etc.

Will we ever get back into #17 - not this year that's for sure.

Been driving for the last week and have arranged to pick up #17 on Sat 21st jan.

This enforced time off work has changed a few things, doubt I'll go racing again until the mortgage is paid off (2 years should see it gone), as really need to be in position to be able to work or not from 2022.

Quite liked the no work for 8 weeks!

So will be selling some things off, pair of CM Composite fibre glass doors (that i'll no longer bother to fit) and got a few unused Dunlop Direzza DZ03G's that I'll no longer need.

Will still be doing track days once got it re mapped though.

PM me if interested and i'll be putting up a for sale thread in a day or so.

Not been on here for quite a while, shot to see the 2nd build from the 'GOD' went to complete s**t.. didnt see the lynch mob out for him tho

Good luck with any future racing etc

Finally it's back, picked up #17 on the 21st Jan got to get it mapped, as expected, no drama just have to choose the right place.
Now the spanners will come out for a complete check over as there's rust etc even on my AST top mount nuts - after 18 -24 mths of waiting and getting messed around i'll have to strip everything and start again just to be sure!.

Beaniesport completed the re-build for me and can't thank them enough really.
If you need any work doing give them a call, 100% recommend them.

20170122_085653_zpswmmfx4et.jpg

JESUS!!!!

What a bloody great thread this has been to read!
I've seen the pro's and the Con's of having an engine builder, build the car, and I've seen the WEALTH of money that has gone into this car and all of the others that race their cars!
What a great thread and Now I cant wait to see this back on track!
Any plans for that Garage at home yet?

Please post on here when you plan on coming down to Brands hatch, as I'd love to come along for the day/weekend!

Good Luck for 2017 Pete!

JESUS!!!!

What a bloody great thread this has been to read!
I've seen the pro's and the Con's of having an engine builder, build the car, and I've seen the WEALTH of money that has gone into this car and all of the others that race their cars!
What a great thread and Now I cant wait to see this back on track!
Any plans for that Garage at home yet?

Please post on here when you plan on coming down to Brands hatch, as I'd love to come along for the day/weekend!

Good Luck for 2017 Pete!

Lol, think @20vKarlos you deserve a medal for reading all, thanks for taking the time to do so!! Garage is still in the pipeline, though it's a long pipe!

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Beanie really is a great guy - saw the car when i was down there and the turn around was lovely.
Heal up soon chap - the accident doesn't sound clever. At least you were wearing a helmet, I have also cracked a helmet - makes you feel very lucky doesn't it?

Have the doors gone yet chap?

Beanie really is a great guy - saw the car when i was down there and the turn around was lovely.
Heal up soon chap - the accident doesn't sound clever. At least you were wearing a helmet, I have also cracked a helmet - makes you feel very lucky doesn't it?

Have the doors gone yet chap?

Yes mate, I owe a LOT to my £100 cycle helmet - quite literally a life saver!

Doors all paid for, sorry to disappoint.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Yes mate, I owe a LOT to my £100 cycle helmet - quite literally a life saver!
Doors all paid for, sorry to disappoint.

Will always where a helmet, whether I am off downhilling or just popping to the shops.
Not to worry, will have to go new... hope you get well soon mate, try and keep the car if you can

Well, since picking up #17 I've done the basic sum of sweet f all to getting it track ready - life has just thrown curve ball after curve ball our way;

My accident and now prolonged shoulder break recovery - collar bone still broken with a 5mm gap between the break - being made to wait another 2 mths to see if it will re-join by itself. If not then surgery to pin etc.

Sam's Mum and Dad 10th Feb involved in a serious car accident - her mum's still in hospital and her dad is walking wounded.
End of Feb Sam had to have surgery on her knee (ACL repair plus Meniscus repair too) and will be laid up for weeks.

All in all not a lot of time left for much else really.

What I could do with is some recommendations on mappers where I can leave #17 for a few days etc, I don't want to book a £500 mapping session to find out there's an issue that I can't fix on the day. Just rather drop off and then go back leaving the mapper to sort any issues out.
I'm near Peterborough so the closer the better. Thought of EFI for one.

And the latest on my accident and resultant claim against the driver for doing a sharp 90 degree right turn, quite literally, in front of me; you won't believe this - as much as I didn't.
Last week received an email from my solicitor who was contacted by the driver solicitor -

"Thank you for your letter dated XXXXXX providing detail of your client’s special damages. Before I am able to respond on that, could you please take your client’s instructions on a point which has arisen following discussion with our client’s driver.
I understand your client was not riding on the road immediately before the accident. Rather he had been cycling down the pavement on the Eastern side of XXXXXXX and that our client’s driver was well established in his turn into XXXXXXXX when your client cycled off the pavement and into collision with the passenger side of his vehicle.
I look forward to hearing from you once you have taken your client’s instructions."

So, he's gone from admitting to the police to not seeing me to now saying he saw me and I was riding on the path. FFS!!!!!!!
No camera, but I have my Endomondo trace of the ride on that day in the post above which shows that I was accelerating through 19-20mph as I collided with the BMW - now who would be mad enough to cycle on a path, at the freaking speeds I cycle at, with front doors of houses 1 metre away as no front gardens and more lamp posts\signage on that path than the M25.
The first 200 metres of my ride I've gone from 0 to 20mph!!!
I now have to prove this "on the balance of probabilities" what is the most likely truth.

It begs belief what scum some people turn out to be. What a world we live in.

WRX
Tony had his done at Northampton Motorsport and was happy as far as I know Pete. They looked after me well for cornerweighting and sponsor a Westfield sprint series, so have a good knowledge of what's required in a race engine.

I hate people so much!!

In regards to mapping and correcting any issues. Take it to Engine Dynamics in Kelvedon. You couldn't be in better hands to be honest. In house dyno with custom mapping and RS expertise in one shop. It's where I take my car now if needed, they've sorted me out a few times.

Not much to report - unfortunately - mapping is booked in with Engine Dynamics, dropping off on the 15th April and picking up a week or so later - knowing past history I definitely didn't want to book a slot to turn up and something unexpected go wrong - as it does!!

But, I have bought a new V reg (1978) tractor!!! Case International Harvester 684 with a Quicke 2000 loader. Still have the 1969 David Brown 990 that has been seen frequently in this project thread.

Needed a loader and it was more cost effective to get this than retro fit a loader to the 990. Life in the real world!

ScreenHunter_30%20Mar.%2028%2013.16_zpswp8wlinf.jpg

I still need a good all seasons car cover mind!

WRX
Halfords do a good all weather cover. About £40 iirc, did mine for a couple of years no problem. You only need the small one and it's almost a perfect fit.

c4pob

ClioSport Club Member
  A terrible one
Well, since picking up #17 I've done the basic sum of sweet f all to getting it track ready - life has just thrown curve ball after curve ball our way;

My accident and now prolonged shoulder break recovery - collar bone still broken with a 5mm gap between the break - being made to wait another 2 mths to see if it will re-join by itself. If not then surgery to pin etc.

Sam's Mum and Dad 10th Feb involved in a serious car accident - her mum's still in hospital and her dad is walking wounded.
End of Feb Sam had to have surgery on her knee (ACL repair plus Meniscus repair too) and will be laid up for weeks.

All in all not a lot of time left for much else really.

What I could do with is some recommendations on mappers where I can leave #17 for a few days etc, I don't want to book a £500 mapping session to find out there's an issue that I can't fix on the day. Just rather drop off and then go back leaving the mapper to sort any issues out.
I'm near Peterborough so the closer the better. Thought of EFI for one.

And the latest on my accident and resultant claim against the driver for doing a sharp 90 degree right turn, quite literally, in front of me; you won't believe this - as much as I didn't.
Last week received an email from my solicitor who was contacted by the driver solicitor -

"Thank you for your letter dated XXXXXX providing detail of your client’s special damages. Before I am able to respond on that, could you please take your client’s instructions on a point which has arisen following discussion with our client’s driver.
I understand your client was not riding on the road immediately before the accident. Rather he had been cycling down the pavement on the Eastern side of XXXXXXX and that our client’s driver was well established in his turn into XXXXXXXX when your client cycled off the pavement and into collision with the passenger side of his vehicle.
I look forward to hearing from you once you have taken your client’s instructions."

So, he's gone from admitting to the police to not seeing me to now saying he saw me and I was riding on the path. FFS!!!!!!!
No camera, but I have my Endomondo trace of the ride on that day in the post above which shows that I was accelerating through 19-20mph as I collided with the BMW - now who would be mad enough to cycle on a path, at the freaking speeds I cycle at, with front doors of houses 1 metre away as no front gardens and more lamp posts\signage on that path than the M25.
The first 200 metres of my ride I've gone from 0 to 20mph!!!
I now have to prove this "on the balance of probabilities" what is the most likely truth.

It begs belief what scum some people turn out to be. What a world we live in.
I was run over when I was 16 competing in the Bracknell half marathon. The roads were not closed (it was a marshalled race) and a car decided to pull out of a junction right in front of me and sent me flying. I had to have a reasonable amount of medical care which my medics insurer wanted to recover and couldn't run for 6m which meant I missed the chance for running for England. The driver would not accept liability so we had to go to court to settle the claim. The driver had concocted in their mind a story where I was running on the grass verge and I popped out from a bush so he wasn't at fault. The judge could see this was not believable, the fact I was in a race, running on the grass verge would be slower than the road, more chance of twisted ankle, ALL the other runners were on the road etc and awarded In my favour (my full claim incl costs). He pretty much said the driver had made the story up and convinced themselves it was the truth (he didn't accuse him of lying). My point is, if it got that far, a judge is highly unlikely to believe you were travelling at 20mph on a pavement and popped out onto the road to then get run over. No sane person would do that!
Really sorry to hear about the accident, the protracted recovery and the other challenges life has thrown at you and your family.
I've enjoyed reading this thread over the years and hope you can finally get the car finished to enjoy as intended.

@c4pob yes it's the same for me - waiting for the Police to finish up their investigations and to decide to prosecute or not, then and only then will the report be released to all parties. This is what will decide if we go to court or he will in fact cave as hopefully his later story about on me being on the pavement isn't corroborated by what he said on the night to the Police. They at no point on the night , morning after or when I was interviewed for my statement asked or even suggested that I was on the pavement, nor was it even brought up.

On the balance of all probabilities who would cycle down a path with front doors opening on to the path, the path way full of obstructions at 20+mph errrr, no one would!

Thanks for taking the time to keep reading - appreciated!!

Last edited:
Getting #17 ready for its trip down to Engine Dynamics on the 15th.
Also got to get all the old fuel out, whats the best way of doing that? I don't have a power probe to get\keep the fuel pump running hmmmmmm, 18mth+ old fuel in the tank. Don't fancy mapping on that!

Scarlett removing the power steering pump and aux belt changing to smaller one.

20170405_145434_zpshd1e4luq.jpg

c4pob

ClioSport Club Member
  A terrible one
Getting #17 ready for its trip down to Engine Dynamics on the 15th.
Also got to get all the old fuel out, whats the best way of doing that? I don't have a power probe to get\keep the fuel pump running hmmmmmm, 18mth+ old fuel in the tank. Don't fancy mapping on that!

Scarlett removing the power steering pump and aux belt changing to smaller one.

20170405_145434_zpshd1e4luq.jpg
Might have to pop over, engine dynamics is about 15mins from my house!