ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

TomoTek - 182 Track Build here we come!...

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member

Hi Everyone!.. long overdue update again... I've got pics that date back to September last year so will try to get them all up.

We managed to drop the engine into the chassis and temporarily put all the bodywork back on, ready to trailer the car from my parents garage to my new house!.. finally I was going to be able to have the car where I was so I would be able to do more work on it.
IMG-20160919-WA0020_zpsedih48tp.jpg

IMG-20160917-WA0007_zpsy2b7bpau.jpg

Quick fix in the gearbox.. Couldn't get Neutral to push the car out... (Selector fork had moved too far when messing with the gear shift with the end cap off) Adjusted everything back into position and we were off!

IMG-20160919-WA0021_zpsch0zruxp.jpg

Looking nice and low on the new AST dampers!

IMG-20160919-WA0017_zpsy8texcib.jpg

IMG-20160919-WA0022_zps2zdebtyn.jpg

We then drove the 1hr journey to Warwickshire.. Couldn't have picked a better day for it.. Especially as we had no windows or tailgate on the car!.. Not exactly water tight yet!!

We then wheeled the car into its new home!.. Me and the missus had spent the previous two weeks getting the garage all painted awaiting its arrival! (Painting bricks white is a painful job... 3 coats later!!)

IMG-20160924-WA0004_zpsczpbdkwv.jpg

Just need to sort out some workbenches and storage now... Looking a bit empty currently!

IMG-20160924-WA0001_zpsoyswc3eg.jpg

Straight on axle stands and wheels off ready to crack on with the rest of the build!.

IMG-20160924-WA0009_zpsqjwvndjg.jpg

IMG-20160924-WA0010_zpsv7cblirg.jpg

Yeah its great!, So pleased with it.. feels slightly bigger than a normal double garage.. and there is so much head room!.. Definitely a great space to work on the car.
Yeah I'd agree with that from the pics, whats next to do ont clio?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I'd agree with that from the pics, whats next to do ont clio?

To be honest there isn't a huge amount of work left to do. I've managed to get quite a bit of time on it over winter/new year. I've just not had time to update the thread with progress.. I'd say main jobs left are the coolant system/wiring/fitting windows/getting the engine fired up.

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member

First job was to get the car stripped back to where it was before. All the body panels were removed for better access, plus modification at a later date!

(I apologise for the poor photo quality on some of these pics... ancient Galaxy S4 plus poor lighting in the garage led to some great pics haha)

20161009_155421_zpsqrmxhzon.jpg

20161009_155430_zpsq673znu3.jpg

I decided to tackle to brake flexi lines next. I measured up and cut some dash 3 clear coated braided hose and fitted the glorious ATEC aluminium fittings. (defo worth the money!)

Rear Lines first.
20161008_132402_zpsospymgvi.jpg

20161008_132726_zpsrz9pmcjq.jpg
20161008_132816_zpsri3lyxpa.jpg
20161008_132835_zpsu8gyb4ks.jpg

Just need to P clip the hose to the rear axle to prevent it going anywhere near the rear springs!.. don't want to trap a brake line do we... not that the rears do much anyway!

Caliper back plate, standard pads and new retaining clips/plate fitted.

20161015_104530_zpsoelgsuq4.jpg

Then onto the front lines - checking the length was correct for full lock and both full bump and rebound.
(the spherical is just there to stop dirt getting in the caliper until the new bleed nipples arrived)
20161009_155340_zps8wiz8zfg.jpg

20161009_155352_zpsy2rgsffm.jpg

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Garage envy !!

What pedal extensions are they ? Where did you get them from ?
Hi mate.. The pedal pads are from AP Racing . They come as part of a floor mounted pedal box that I haven't fitted yet.. part numbers are:

CP5516-21 SMALL FOOTPAD KIT
CP5516-26 BRAKE FOOTPAD KIT
CP5516-31 THROTTLE FOOTPAD

You can get them from the website below

https://www.racehardware.com

Hope that helps :)

Clio 172
Thanks mate.. yeah I got the AST 5100 - 1 Ways .. they've got some good reviews on here.. can't wait to try them out!
Many thanks :) It was the 5100 I am looking at getting. The Spax ones are 750lb fr/ 450lb rr springs, I think the 5100 are 455lb fr/rr springs as standard?

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Many thanks :) It was the 5100 I am looking at getting. The Spax ones are 750lb fr/ 450lb rr springs, I think the 5100 are 455lb fr/rr springs as standard?

If you contact Curtis at AST, you can choose the spring rates you want.. will make a huge difference to the handling.

I chose:

Front Spring Rate: 90Nm (796lb)
Rear Spring Rate: 110Nm (973lb)

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Haha.. yeah sorry just got home and re read that... as @Mash. said it's...

Front: 90Nm (513lb)
Rear: 110Nm (627lb)

I've always worked in Nm so didn't even realise 973 was high

Thanks for the correction, I had the conversion as 8.85 in my head

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
If you contact Curtis at AST, you can choose the spring rates you want.. will make a huge difference to the handling.

I chose:

Front Spring Rate: 90Nm (796lb)
Rear Spring Rate: 110Nm (973lb)
Haha.. yeah sorry just got home and re read that... as @Mash. said it's...

Front: 90Nm (513lb)
Rear: 110Nm (627lb)

I've always worked in Nm so didn't even realise 973 was high

Thanks for the correction, I had the conversion as 8.85 in my head

Same rates I ran on the Trophy and they worked perfectly. 3 or 4 guys up here have just taken delivery of the same set up for this years SLS season and initial comments are positive also :up:

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
That's the spring set up I used to run but going to try a softer rear spring this year
Did u find the car abit oversteery with the stiff rear springs?

I'm going to get a few options of spring rates when we get up and running.. it can be a mine field.. all changes depending on what tyres you use, or what track you go too etc

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
Did u find the car abit oversteery with the stiff rear springs?

I'm going to get a few options of spring rates when we get up and running.. it can be a mine field.. all changes depending on what tyres you use, or what track you go too etc

I found in the dry on R888's it was pretty good with a tendency for the rear to be rather lively, i think a slightly softer spring on the rear will provide a more balanced set up. In the wet with the 110's on the rear even with the dampers on full soft it was too stiff in my opinion

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
I found in the dry on R888's it was pretty good with a tendency for the rear to be rather lively, i think a slightly softer spring on the rear will provide a more balanced set up. In the wet with the 110's on the rear even with the dampers on full soft it was too stiff in my opinion
We'll be running R888s to start with.. possibly going to AVON ZZRs. See how we get on it testing.. Be good to have a base setup that we're both comfortable with to learn the car.. then when we get more confident, start to get the rear end a bit more lively..

Yeah definitely in the wet will need to drop the rates.. it's just a shame that changing the front springs and ARB isn't a 5mins job.. rears aren't so bad tho I guess

Do you race yours?

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
That is a lovely garage. Did you do the floor? I want to do something similar very soon and want to protect the concrete against spills!

PS I've said how amazing the work is before, the comment lives on!

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Out if all the forums I'm on this has to be the best build thread ever, a real credit to you

Thanks Adam, appriciate your comments.. makes me want to push on and get it finished and upload all the work I'm doing :)
That is a lovely garage. Did you do the floor? I want to do something similar very soon and want to protect the concrete against spills!

PS I've said how amazing the work is before, the comment lives on!
Hi Graham, yeah I painted the floor too.. used some concrete acid etch to prime it and then washed that off before painting two coats of concrete paint (can't remember the brand off the top of my head) .. I'd like to go to the rubber interlocking square flooring eventually, the concrete floor sucks all the heat out of the garage..

And again thanks for the kind comments [emoji106]

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
Iv just taken 3 hours reading this full thread!
You sir are a very talented engineer, all of your work is immaculately executed.
You should think about opening your own motorsport build garage. You wouldn't be shy of work.
Any new updates to add?
When you go for testing/shake down would love to pop along and see the car on track and the pits.
Pure perfection

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Iv just taken 3 hours reading this full thread!
You sir are a very talented engineer, all of your work is immaculately executed.
You should think about opening your own motorsport build garage. You wouldn't be shy of work.
Any new updates to add?
When you go for testing/shake down would love to pop along and see the car on track and the pits.
Pure perfection
Hi Michael!.. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Fair play to you getting through it all, it's gotten quite long now!... Thanks mate, I do pride myself on the little details. I've always wanted to have my own business but never had the balls to do it.. I've grown up in and around racing and with my current job at Merc F1 I hardly have anytime for anything else lol, its quite relentless.. I am however going back to work at Jaguar Land Rover in June.. part of that decision was so I had more time to work on and enjoy the clio and maybe do some other work on the side etc.

I've got some more pictures that I've copied off my phone this evening.. will get them uploaded onto here tomorrow

We've got a deadline now anyway... track day/shakedown booked at Blyton on the 7th August!..

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
Well it's obvious from your work you are top of your game and your job with F1 just proves it.
It's nice to be part of something special like F1 but if its taking over your life and affecting your own ambitions then maybe not worth it.
Iv put it in my phone diary for blyton, nice twists to test the setup look forward to seeing how it performs.
Good to see something different from the usual k-tec/pure motorsport routes.
I'm not a reader normally, just skip through pictures usually and can get the jist of what's happening but yours was all new and just kept reading!
Think everyone's itching to see it finished and on track !!

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Once i'd sorted the brakes out I moved onto getting the exhaust system fitted.
When I bought the car originally it had a KTEC Supersport silencer fitted. However my daily 182 had a Scorpion Silencer fitted which I prefer the sound off.. So I swapped the exhausts over. The scorpion silencer is a fair bit lighter too (every little helps)

Scorpion on Left - KTEC on right.
20161030_095945_zpsxgcrai3z.jpg

I ordered another ctr silencer from Scorpion Exhausts .. Really great to deal with and super quick service!.. would recommend.
Also cleaned up the rear silencer and swapped out the old CAT for a decat that @Jenbo had lying around.
20161105_094229-1_zps7qhqnumg.jpg

Started to lay everything out under the car.
20161119_133623_zps57a0srny.jpg

20161119_133711-1-1_zpsnwc7uwix.jpg

I then got all the mounting clamps and fittings together.
6000073668 - Kit Sealing (Manifold to De CAT)
7701458596 - Clamp Exhaust (De CAT to Ctr Silencer)
7700424341 - Ctr Exhuast Mount (hangs ctr silencer rear)
175FK - Fitting Kit (hanger ctr silencer front) Scorpion
EXH020 - Rear Chassis Exhaust Mount Bush (Main Silencer, rear hangers) Powerflex
Loctite Si5990 - Silicone Sealant - Loctite
20161119_134506_zpsijvvdnpd.jpg

First job was to fit the manifold joint. i put some sealant on the sleeve before installing, and also a little copper grease on the bolts to stop them seizing.
20161119_135658_zpsxxrklhdh.jpg

I then put a bit more sealant on the de-CAT to ensure a really good seal. then fitted that up.
20161119_135705_zpslyuwhtfc.jpg

20161120_113731_zpshkgchjb1.jpg

i then put the Scorpion fitting kit onto the ctr silencer. Again using a bit more silicone at the joint.
These kits are great.. It ensures that not all the ctr silencer weight is being supported by the standard exhaust mount. Which is small and inadequate. (been through 2 on my daily!!) . With this kit you support both ends of the ctr silencer.
20161120_113834_zpsast9pxnm.jpg

Next job was to clean up the rear exhaust hangers and cut out the old rubber mounts and fit the powerflex bushes.
20161119_153426-1_zpsmivoxfnv.jpg

I then bolted them to the chassis and hung the rear silencer.
20161120_113640_zps6ut65oe0.jpg

I used the last clamp and some more silicone to connect the rear and ctr silencers together.
20161120_113703-1_zpscmtxmyrz.jpg

I just need to fit the standard rear silencer bracket to the boot floor and hang the black rubber mount. The car had a special KTEC hanger for the other silencer.
20161120_114948_zpsnlpijb6k.jpg

Exhaust all fitted!!! One step closer to firing u the engine.
20170330_214757_zpsw7bznx82.jpg

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Well it's obvious from your work you are top of your game and your job with F1 just proves it.
It's nice to be part of something special like F1 but if its taking over your life and affecting your own ambitions then maybe not worth it.
Iv put it in my phone diary for blyton, nice twists to test the setup look forward to seeing how it performs.
Good to see something different from the usual k-tec/pure motorsport routes.
I'm not a reader normally, just skip through pictures usually and can get the jist of what's happening but yours was all new and just kept reading!
Think everyone's itching to see it finished and on track !!

Haha.. no one more so than me and @Jenbo want to see it on track!!... Cheers again!, it has definitely been rewarding that's for sure, winning the world championship last year was a big tick in a box for me!!, just want to tick some more boxes now, like racing the clio and hopefully winning with it!.. Yeah Blyton should be good for a shakedown, lots of run off and no barriers to hit if things go a little wrong haha

330i
What a fantastic build you have going on here, definately going to subscribe to this. I can't wait to see where the is one goes! One of your original posts outlines phase 1 of the build, what is phase two going to consist of? Also do you have a completion date to aim for, there must be light at the end of the tunnel?

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
With the exhaust finished I turned my attention to the bodywork now.. We do intend on getting fibreglass panels at some point in the future but for now we are just modifying the standard steel panels.

I started with the bonnet.. Fitting Aerocatches which we purchased from Nimbus Motorsport .. Always scary cutting into the standard panels for the first time. I used the templates and aligned them with the contours of the bonnet and moved them closer to the center of the bonnet, the normal on here seems to be to use the holes above the lights which is quite far apart and then causes the center of the bonnet to lift, which i didn't want to happen.

There are so many ways to fit them, but I used the following method which was achievable with the tools I have.

Template taped on.. I used a hole saw in a drill to drill the large diameter..
20161023_103430_zpsk8hpqjgp.jpg

Then I used a 4mm drill bit to drill the outline
20161023_103431_zps2dxveyhn.jpg

Then used to metal shears to cut the center out and a dremel to clean up the edges.
20161023_105556-1_zpsstqroova.jpg

I then drilled the mount holes marked up on the template.
20161023_105558_zps2rcqhmse.jpg

I then used a piece of paper which i cut to the corner edge profile of the bonnet and marked the hole position so I could transfer it over to the other side and repeat the process.
20161023_114358_zpswgf32grb.jpg

I then decided to cut the inner skin from the bonnet to save those grams..
20161030_142448_zpsdm0sr4kb.jpg

20161030_155510_zpsqv7qsozl.jpg

I had to paint the inner skin to match the engine bay colour and get rid of the gastly paint work left over.
20161030_155511_zpsdleufwrr.jpg

All painted and bonnet mounted up.
20161030_220654_zpsl5f7kbnb.jpg

I then had to make some mount plates to mount the bonnet pins. As i said I placed the catches more in the center than usual so required some plates with I wanted to mount to the original holes the slam panel bolted too. I started by cutting out multiple templates to get the correct position, once that was finalised I printed out the templates and made some plates out of 4mm aluminium tooling plate..
20161030_234926_zps1tpsd264.jpg

Which I then tapped and threaded the mount pins into.. Locking off with a nut on the underside.
20161031_074610_zpsk0g2qxpb.jpg

I then cut the mount pins and fitted the other side.
20161101_111712_zpstnvyvaur.jpg

I then turned my attention to the rear boot. and followed a similar process. This time using the original boot rubber stop mount holes. Which i slotted slightly to move the aerocatches further inboard than the std hole allowed... Few pics of the process below..
20161120_144840_zpsuqcdzrft.jpg

20161126_111926_zpsmmp71tb3.jpg

20161126_122154_zpsqhycagin.jpg

20161126_123833_zpsnivciho8.jpg

20161126_131222_zpsasnsmw3o.jpg

With the boot done I then masked off around the seals and painted the inner surface to match the interior..
20161204_140448_zpsduqjmzqi.jpg

Next step was to fit the boot.. I started by blanking off the Number plate light recess.. Carbon? well..... just because haha
20161218_133529_zpsamspaxbe.jpg

I then cut a slot for the rear Tow strap and mounted that to the chassis.
20161218_142705_zpsibggsegd.jpg

20161218_142729_zpsb69d5e3n.jpg

20161218_142831_zps17kuwyhw.jpg

Then fitted the boot emblem which I had bought with an anthracite colour as the original one had been completely covered in carbon, which had a lot of defects.
20170118_185020_zpsoluocctk.jpg

@Jenbo then did some great work to remove all the double sided sticky tape off the boot.. I had spent a lot of time trying to remove it but couldn't budge it!.. so awesome job by him.
20170118_194632_zpsac1uaeti.jpg

I then blanked off the front wings like I had done on the boot.
20171101_103332_zpsfinlecc3.jpg

Then onto the front tow strap and cleaning the grilles.
20171101_103532_zpswcfvvsgn.jpg

20171101_103632_zpsdcep9s2j.jpg

I then trial fitted the bumper to see how everything fit.
20171101_114632_zpsogaynwho.jpg

Next up was removing the inner door skins.. progress so far..
IMG-20170114-WA0007_zpsxt7uciux.jpg

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Looking good. Are you not running number plate lights/side repeaters etc? Not worrying about road legal?

Also, any reason you didn't trim the boot like you have the doors?

Final question, how stiff is the bonnet with the webbing removed? Does it feel like it might flap around or lift in the middle?

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
What a fantastic build you have going on here, definately going to subscribe to this. I can't wait to see where the is one goes! One of your original posts outlines phase 1 of the build, what is phase two going to consist of? Also do you have a completion date to aim for, there must be light at the end of the tunnel?

Hi Mark. Yeah we have a deadline finally.. Blyton at the beginning of August.. So lots to do!.
Phase two will consist of a few upgrades.. I think the main ones will be:
  • Fibreglass panels
  • Quaife Differential
  • AP 4 pot front brakes
  • Geo Correction
  • Engine Rebuild / ITB's / ECU

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Looking good. Are you not running number plate lights/side repeaters etc? Not worrying about road legal?

Also, any reason you didn't trim the boot like you have the doors?

Final question, how stiff is the bonnet with the webbing removed? Does it feel like it might flap around or lift in the middle?

Hi, thanks :)
We're going to be trailering the car around for track days and eventually it will be used solely for racing, so no need for them.

To be honest I thought about cutting the boot inner skin. We have bought the Plastics for Performance Poly window kit and got the boot glass in the kit too, so I want to fit that to a fibreglass boot, which will be the first of the fibreglass panels we buy.. so didnt want to waste time cutting the standard boot only to replace it quite soon.. If that makes sense.

The bonnet is nowhere near as stiff as before, defo only recommend for track and with aerocathes fitted. probably somewhere around half as stiff i'd say.. still holds its own weight on the standard bonnet stay just fine. I don't think it will lift in the middle.. especially as i've fitted the catches a lot closer to the center of the bonnet.. I wouldn't recommend to trim the inner skin if mounting the catches on the edges of the bonnet. Some people I have seen fit an extra 3rd mount on the center tho.

Hope that helps.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Hi, thanks :smile:
We're going to be trailering the car around for track days and eventually it will be used solely for racing, so no need for them.

To be honest I thought about cutting the boot inner skin. We have bought the Plastics for Performance Poly window kit and got the boot glass in the kit too, so I want to fit that to a fibreglass boot, which will be the first of the fibreglass panels we buy.. so didnt want to waste time cutting the standard boot only to replace it quite soon.. If that makes sense.

The bonnet is nowhere near as stiff as before, defo only recommend for track and with aerocathes fitted. probably somewhere around half as stiff i'd say.. still holds its own weight on the standard bonnet stay just fine. I don't think it will lift in the middle.. especially as i've fitted the catches a lot closer to the center of the bonnet.. I wouldn't recommend to trim the inner skin if mounting the catches on the edges of the bonnet. Some people I have seen fit an extra 3rd mount on the center tho.

Hope that helps.

Thanks bud. Boot makes a lot of sense. The bonnet is an interesting one. Planning to start getting some weight out of mine but don't like the way that the GRP bonnets lift in the middle. Also don't want to fit the catches too far in as want to leave space for a lamp pod. I do wonder if a strategic bit of metal in the leading edge of the bonnet could be used to help stiffen it.