ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tools & Garage Equipment sub forum?

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
I was just wondering if anyone thought a tools and garage equipment sub forum in the technical section was a good idea?

I need an impact gun and it crossed my mind that i'd have to start a thread in General Chat which didn't seem like the right place seeing as it's basically car related, i'd also like some swan necked ratchet spanners, tbh there's a whole load of stuff I need if I want to do jobs on my driveway rather than going down my mates garage and making him work for free, and starting multiple threads in GC for each bit of kit I need would just clog the place up.

So Tools and Garage Equipment sub forum, good idea, sh*t idea, shut up Dave?

Renault Clio 172 Cup
For impact guns if you know of a MAC dealer ask about there new MAC or FACOM (same thing) half inch small body air guns!
There £160ish
f**king powerful and can get in almost anywhere! About 800nm with 3 speeds forwards and back. Since buying mine about 6 other lads at work have done the same, brilliant bit of kit for the money!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Just as a rule of thumb, shut up Dave.

But good idea, I'll converse with the oranges.

If you have a Costco card, or know someone with a Costco card. Their Kirkland signature socket set is a cracking starting place. Don't get one offline because people add £20/30 onto the price. They're only £80/90 in costco

I got one and just add bits and bobs as needed. But I lost the Torx bits and can't find replacements :(

Clio 182 Trophy
For impact guns if you know of a MAC dealer ask about there new MAC or FACOM (same thing) half inch small body air guns!
There £160ish
f**king powerful and can get in almost anywhere! About 800nm with 3 speeds forwards and back. Since buying mine about 6 other lads at work have done the same, brilliant bit of kit for the money!
Potentially stupid question, does the air gun need an air supply?
I think for the weekend hobby an electric one is probably more practical

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I think Dave's had a good idea.

I also don't have a Costco card.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I don't have a Costco card or any friends, can I borrow yours and pretend to be Scott McKnuckles?

If you were closer I'd take you. And maybe wine and dine you at the end. Who knows. The food is pretty good there.

Yes they'll need a compressor.
I didn't realise his post said 'air gun', I feel stupid now.

Costco do compressors too lol. £150 for a decent looking one* decent looking power. Can't remember the actual rating mind

I think Dave's had a good idea..

Shh. Don't encourage him!

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
I've got an 18v lithium Dewalt 1/2" drive nut runner. Bit heavy, but got some serious power. Cost about £185 2 years ago

If you don't want a compressor I've been using the Clarke mains one for a few years, not found anything it couldn't shift yet, makes hub nuts etc a doddle.

The only downside is it's rather big, so sometimes it doesn't work for suspension.

330i. E30 Touring.
Looks like a toy one! What kind of torque does it have?

Yeah, it looks like a toy in person too. Mine's suffered three years of abuse (at weekends only(and it's had 4 litres of oil dropped on it twice now, lol)) and has never let me down. Only ones it struggles with are hub nuts sometimes, evrything else it breezes.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Mate has 1/2" dewalt- cost £350 but it s***s all over the Clarke corded gun.

1600 breakaway torque 900 running torque.

And it's battery powered

Clio 182 Trophy
How much better is an impact compared to a decent breaker bar? Thinking cost vs effectiveness

330i. E30 Touring.
How much better is an impact compared to a decent breaker bar? Thinking cost vs effectiveness

Even with the cheapy one linked above, it's once in a blue moon my breaker bar leaves it's home. For simplicity and speed alone, it's well worth the money.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Mines still going strong :wink:

I can't be the only one who struggles with a standard short wrench, so just gets the torque out and uses that? Works every time

It'll ruin the spring inside, thus the calibration of the wrench will be made inaccurate.

Wouldn't be without mine now. So much faster than having to crack wheel bolts off by hand and then unwind each one.

I can have all 4 wheels off in 30 seconds.