ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toyota Supra Big Twin Turbo Build 1000ish BHP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scattle

ClioSport Club Member
  Nissan R35 GTR
Hi all,
Thought I would show a few progress pictures of my dads Toyota Supra build that we are currently undergoing.
It is a home build and him and me (when I can help out) are doing all of the work to the car ourselves.
The build actually started in December 2012 that was when the Supra was taken off the road for work to start.
The car has been owned since 2005 and is a standard Silver Twin Turbo Auto Aerotop (removable roof). The decision was either buy a new Nissan GTR or do something to the Supra.

There's 100's of photos but I'm only going to put up a handful as otherwise it would take me forever!

This is the spec list that my dad is going for.

Engine:
8200 rpm rev limit
Mahle Pistons 86.5mm
Brian Crower BC625+ con rods inc ARP fasteners
ACL Race Bearings
Titan Billet Main Caps
Fully balanced internals and polished crank
Stock crankshaft
Welded crank sprocket
ARP Main Studs
L19 ARP Head Stud Kit
New stock water pump
New stock oil pump
Toyota complete gasket set
Toyota stock head gasket
HKS timing belt
Billet tensioner and idler pulley
Titan adjustable cam pulleys
Whifbitz 72 degree thermostat
SRD Custom Breather System
Blitz Oil Cooler
PWR Radiator
Twin kenlowe Electric Fans
Titan crank pulley
TRD engine mounts

Stage 5 SRD Ported & Polished Head with:
Ferrea Manganese Bronze Valve Guides
Ferrea 1mm Oversized Competition Plus valves
Ferrea Valve Seals
Ferrea Dual Valve Springs
Ferrea Titanium Retainers
Ferrea Spring Seat Locators
Ferrea Valve Locks
SRD stage 3 - 280° 10.2mm lift Cams

Turbocharger & Induction:
HKS Twin GT2835 Turbo Kit,Water cooled
Turbo Spec 52t, .73 AR Hot, .50 AR cold - Rebuilt by Owen Developments
Twin HKS heatshields
Twin HKS 50mm racing wastgates
SRD Custom Intercooler
Twin HKS SSQV Dump Valves
Veilside Plenum
Veilside 100mm Throttle Body

Fuel, Tuning and ECU:
Twin Walbro Intank Pumps
Titan triple Fuel Pump Hanger
HKS 1000cc Injectors
HKS Fuel Pressure Regulator
Paxton High Flow Fuel Filter
SRD Custom Fuel Lines
Veilside Fuel Rail
3.5 Bar Map Sensor
Syvecs S6 ECU

Exhaust:
4" Boostlogic

Drive train.
SRD built autobox
3200 hi-stall torque converter
Twin SRD transmission coolers
SRD Flappy Paddle Transmission behind steering wheel

Suspension, Wheels, Tires & Brakes:
KW Variant 3 inox-line – Perfect Street Performance
8pot 356mm Ksport front big brake kit
4pot 356mm Ksport rear big brake kit
Not decided on wheels yet.

Interior:
New Heater matrix
Retrimmed Standard Seats
All interior panels covered in Alcantara

Exterior:
Colour: Lamborghini Arancio Argos
Stock body withMVP Motorsports Front Lip
RMM (Rod Millen Motorsports) MKIV Supra Wing with Carbon Fiber Center
Zunsport front grille set
Facelift rear lights
Facelift front indicators
smoked side repeaters

This set up and spec should be around 1000bhp give or take.

It started by removing the engine and gearbox from the car back in December 2012
yzasyvut.jpg
a6u8yzas.jpg

I'm skipping a few steps but will explain,
After the engine was removed from the car, it was disassembled and the crank, bearings, pistons, rods and all ancillaries were removed, when it was a bare block it was sent to Roland Alsop Engineers to have the bores slightly bored out, the main caps slightly skimmed, all pistons and Rods balanced, the crank balanced and polished and the block thoroughly cleaned , this was around April 2013.

Whilst the engine was away, me and my dad made a start on stripping the car ready for it's respray and overhaul.
Everything was gutted so the car was just a shell including front and rear suspension, brake and fuel lines, glass removed etc.
a9anevyz.jpg
asybabu8.jpg

Once this had been done the car was put onto homemade casters so it could be wheeled around the garage as it had no suspension.
We now started on smoothing the engine bay, this took forever and was hard work, all holes which weren't needed were welded up then filled over and then primered.

ty5aduma.jpg

uvy9u4a7.jpg

This is the car now ready for respray and the engine bay fully smoothed.
The car was sent on a transporter to a company in Rochester Kent for the respray.
nuvu2ety.jpg
5ynudapy.jpg

Whilst the car was away, the fuse box relocation took place, this was being moved from the engine bag to the boot behind the rear seats, this meant lengthening 46 wires and individually soldering them all back
Up again.
Also whilst the car was away, the front suspension was overhauled, all new drop links, track rod ends, all new r2 bushes were pressed in, along with steering rack bushes and all of front suspension components including subframe were powder coated in silver and the front arb was powder coated red. This is upto November 2013 more to come soon.

Scattle

ClioSport Club Member
  Nissan R35 GTR
The car was at the bodyshop for a month whilst the work was done, this was it being bought home on the transporter in December.
nuzy6una.jpg
8unesu3e.jpg

We got the car home off the transporter and few pictures on the driveway...
agynarar.jpg
4u4ase8y.jpg
8udebesa.jpg

Now the car was back we could start the slow rebuild, this is now over Christmas 2013.

The front suspension which had been overhauled and powder coated was now bolted back up to the car including the subframe.
ehyzesav.jpg

Next was starting on new brake lines for the whole car, what a pain in the ass this job was.
As my dad wanted a smooth bay, the ABS pump was relocated to the boot
Behind the rear seats so all the brakes lines had to run from there to each wheel and master cylinder. The master cylinder and servo was installed.
uzejy8u3.jpg

All new braised brake lines were made up to correct lengths and the fittings put on..all stainless steel and p-clipped to the underside of the car, this took forever as we measured then fitted then took off then measured again etc, finally we had all correct lines ready for fitting.
e2ujyquv.jpg

And fitted to the car.
y4ujy3e7.jpg

uvy2a3y4.jpg

All the very expensive good ridge fittings -
sa5e6amu.jpg

apapysup.jpg

Once the brake lines were completed and fitted we started on re-fitting the rear suspension and subframe including driveshafts and diff, this was very very heavy!

Now we are upto jan/feb 2014.
We now started on the uprated fuel system that needed fitting, this consisted on twin walbro pumps fitted into a triple hanger inside the fuel tank, I didn't get many photos of this but this is the fuel system installed along with the fuel tank and then the lee fuel lines run under the car.
4ujeje3y.jpg
dy7u2yzy.jpg

danydy6a.jpg

Once the fuel lines were fitted and routed we started again on connecting the relocated fuse box which is now behind the rear seat, all 46 wires were labelled individually and soldered up so they were longer and this took forever.
habujaza.jpg
gahe8u9y.jpg
basadyve.jpg
jagepu9a.jpg

Here you can see the extended fuse box loom now runnjng inside the car too the boot area.
nevamyqe.jpg
ygavemu5.jpg

And the fuse box loom running under the front headlights rather than in the engine bay.
ysapymut.jpg

This is now the fuse box extended and finished finally! All now neatly fitted behind the rear seats!

Next we relocated the washer bottle and pump from the engine bay to behind the rear passenger wheel.
4uruzy4y.jpg

And the filler neck is now located in the boot flush with the standard oem polystyrene,
sugapy2y.jpg

Now this was done, it was time to turn out attentions to building the engine.
Here are photos of the main parts we have.
jy9e8u4u.jpg
HKS twin turbos.

Veil side inlet plenum and 100mm throttle body-
huvary9u.jpg

Mahle pistons and BC conrods -
ehugyset.jpg

Titan Motorsport Billet Main caps -
e9y3ymy5.jpg

Stage 5 Cylinder head -
he8e9umu.jpg

Now we had all the parts we needed, work was started on the engine.
The bottom end was all plastiguaged and then the bearings, crankshaft and titan main caps were installed -
6a9e5esa.jpg

4epy8yqe.jpg

We have just finished getting the pistons and and conrods assembled along with the piston rings
gybusa7y.jpg
and this is now were we are upto, this is as of Sunday 27th April.

There's still a lot of work to go, the KW coilovers are on there way over by courier so should be here soon, then once there arrived we can get the brakes and then then wheels sorted.
The autobox is being sent off to be refurbished and uprated to hold the torque that the car will have, and also the flappy paddle system will be installed when the interior and dash is all refitted inside.

This is a very quick overview of the last 18 months!
I'll update as and when there are updates, were probably looking at 6 months till completion as my dad only works on it in evenings and after work.

Here's a few Pics of the car as it is
5edema3e.jpg
vu7a9a5u.jpg
mudu5une.jpg

Steve

Scattle

ClioSport Club Member
  Nissan R35 GTR
Thanks for all the kind words guys, it's appreciated. The colour might not be too everyone's taste, but it's NOT going to be a fast and furious replica with shopping lists and graphics. There is a hell of a lot of blood sweat and tears gone into this, apart from the respray my dad has done everything on this and I've helped out when I can.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I assume you have missed mentioning the step where the block was line bored to suit the main caps?
As you make it sound like they arrived and you just fitted them, lol.

VERY sexy bits of kits, nice to see some proper components like that going into the build, I understand that you could probably get away without them at "only" (seems weird using that word, but in the context of these engines it makes sense I guess!) 1000bhp but so much more sensible to use them!

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
I like the colour, if you're building a 1000bhp Supra you might as well make it stand out,
it's not exactly going to blend in with that kind of power anyway.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Thanks for all the kind words guys, it's appreciated. The colour might not be too everyone's taste, but it's NOT going to be a fast and furious replica with shopping lists and graphics. There is a hell of a lot of blood sweat and tears gone into this, apart from the respray my dad has done everything on this and I've helped out when I can.

I think the colour is awesome, its in your face enough to suit a build like this, but not tacky at all :)

Scattle

ClioSport Club Member
  Nissan R35 GTR
I assume you have missed mentioning the step where the block was line bored to suit the main caps?
As you make it sound like they arrived and you just fitted them, lol.

VERY sexy bits of kits, nice to see some proper components like that going into the build, I understand that you could probably get away without them at "only" (seems weird using that word, but in the context of these engines it makes sense I guess!) 1000bhp but so much more sensible to use them!

I think I did mention that in my first post ? If not apologies, yes the block was line bored to suit the main caps we definitely did not just fit them haha, the first engine place we asked called goznays in romford didn't know what we were on about so weren't keen on giving the engine to them, that's why we went to Roland Alsop down in Cobham.

There's a lot of steps I haven't put in or mentioned as there is just soo much to say that it would take me forever to type it all lol!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Cool stuff, bet you cant wait to see what power it makes?

Have you ever been in a 1Kbhp car before this one? Its quite an experience!

Scattle

ClioSport Club Member
  Nissan R35 GTR
A few more photos I have found that may be of interest, the fuel tank which has been cleaned and reinstalled -
sahe2a7a.jpg

All new Aerotop seals from America -
gu8u8u5u.jpg

Door handles, interior door handles and window mechanisms refitted -
hudahema.jpg
mu3upuze.jpg

Making a start on covering interior panels in Alcantara this is the a pillars -
upy4abum.jpg

Titan crankshaft pulley and adjustable cam pulleys - I picked these up from titan motorsports in Orlando Florida when I visited in October 2013 -
ybu7a4ut.jpg

4y2y4yre.jpg

Closer look at one of the rebuilt turbos -
8uza8uhe.jpg

These are the possible wheels that we are going for -
8ybyrybu.jpg

Steve

Scattle

ClioSport Club Member
  Nissan R35 GTR
Cool stuff, bet you cant wait to see what power it makes?

Have you ever been in a 1Kbhp car before this one? Its quite an experience!

Indeed mate we are intrigued, an identical engine spec one of my dads friend had on his supra rolled at 985bhp at the flywheel, but my dads set up has wilder cams so we reckon it will just break the 1000bhp mark we hope.

Nope never been in 1k Bhp car before, my dads was 440 before being worked on, he's been in a 760 supra but that's the highest!

Steve

An orange one
Holy amazeballs!!!

Your certainly doing the job right!

Pleeeaaassseeee tell me though, that at least 1 item has arrived over night from Japan? :D

Scattle

ClioSport Club Member
  Nissan R35 GTR
Holy amazeballs!!!

Your certainly doing the job right!

Pleeeaaassseeee tell me though, that at least 1 item has arrived over night from Japan? :D

Thanks mate! Yeah no point in faffing about, do right the first time.
Haha bought a couple of parts from japan, but they didn't come overnight more like a few days! Will have to try and get some overnight ;-)
Thanks mate!
Ha ha, 440 to 1000 is going to be a VERY big step up for you then!

Such a rush!
Thanks mate, yeah I bet it's going to be a very different experience!
I was in Orlando last October too! :cool:

Could have had a CS meet at Titan!

Ah cool mate, yeah could of had a meet over there lol! Titan is just by orlando airport, I was over there from 1st October until the 21st!

Status
Not open for further replies.