ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track cars

Hi all,
I've been looking for a while to start doing some track days and think i'm ready to get started, I'm not brave enough to take my 6 month old focus st round so looking for a more dedicated vehicle. I know the Clio platform has great reviews regarding track days but wanted to talk to some people who actually have them. My budget is 5-6k not including track day insurance or insurance to the track. But it must be ready in my garage in that budget.

I've been on this forum before, I sold my Fiesta ST to a lad on here called Jack (I think!) and my first ever car was a 1.2 RN!

I've been looking at four models 172/182/197/200 - I know quite a wide difference! A lot of people seem to say the 172 is the better buy compared to the 182, checking the classifieds/ebay/ph/etc there doesn't seem that much difference in price. Would the 172 still be the one to opt for? I'm not a massive fan of the looks of these ones though.

The 197 and 200, i really like both of these models and have driven a 197 and a 200 and i can remember the shockingly good brakes on the test drive but seemed like I had to rev it a bit harder than what i was used to.

The important aspects are: Good handling, reliable, cheap to repair, can be worked on by myself in my garage, nice to look at (hence why Civic's are out!) and a bonus if it is a bit different to all the others (i.e. 197/200 with a megane conversion or 172/182 with TB's)

I've looked at Fiesta ST's (don't seem popular with track users), Civic Type R's (i hate them), Evo's (Had one, too unreliable), Clio's (Winning so far), MX5's (Not a fan), BMW's (Costly to run) and even Porsche (costly to fix)! I think I have narrowed it down to a few options and wondered what you boys and girls would go for:

172/182 - Then make it track ready and give it some more power potentially with TB's if the budget allows.
or
197/200 - With road legal slicks (probably the best resale value of the options)
or
197/200 - With megane engine conversion (I've seen a couple for sale for around 6k)
or
Mk6 Fiesta ST - Made track ready
or
Something completely different! (No Civics/MG's/Rover's!)

Any views/comments/advice greatly received!

dan's cast offs.
can do you a nice rb ex sprint car that's in budget. 860kg, caged, still on metal panels so could drop more weight if you wanted, btb exhaust, kw coilovers, catcams but would have to check what actual ones though sorry, bimarco seats. done one track day on a new clutch as well.

I'd look at either a 172 cup or 182 FF, either can be had with belts done for £2-3k with less than 100k miles and a few decent track goodies, like mounts, exhaust, filter, suspension, spare 15" wheels and track tyres, track brakes etc...

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I'm biased but, get a 197/200. Proper cracking out of the box but put some decent brakes and tyres on and they're a right hoot.

They do lack poke so a megged one would be a great buy, but if you want something fun to just chuck around and enjoy, I'd definitely recommend one if you don't like the looks of the 1*2s

The 1*2s are pretty much the same car bar the exhaust so it's whichever you prefer out of the two.

And you'll probably be able to pick up a readily modified one for less than a 197/200

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
can do you a nice rb ex sprint car that's in budget. 860kg, caged, still on metal panels so could drop more weight if you wanted, btb exhaust, kw coilovers, catcams but would have to check what actual ones though sorry, bimarco seats. done one track day on a new clutch as well.

I've seen this, looks ace

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin

Is this the one with the mad wing and exhaust?

Good to know you've still got it!

Any links or pics please mate?

If you're quick, maybe sold but no money's been exchanged yet.

Looks like it would be good but i'd like to do some of the work myself lol

I'd look at either a 172 cup or 182 FF, either can be had with belts done for £2-3k with less than 100k miles and a few decent track goodies, like mounts, exhaust, filter, suspension, spare 15" wheels and track tyres, track brakes etc...

I just missed a blue one on eBay, had ktec suspension, scorpion exhaust decent discs for £2k but deposit taken now. Is it worth trying to do too much to them engine wise? A few spares would 100% be a good bonus as i'd want a spare set of wheels anyway incase something happened on track.

I'm biased but, get a 197/200. Proper cracking out of the box but put some decent brakes and tyres on and they're a right hoot.

They do lack poke so a megged one would be a great buy, but if you want something fun to just chuck around and enjoy, I'd definitely recommend one if you don't like the looks of the 1*2s

The 1*2s are pretty much the same car bar the exhaust so it's whichever you prefer out of the two.

And you'll probably be able to pick up a readily modified one for less than a 197/200

http://www.cliosport.net/threads/clio-197-r26-engine-conversion-£7000.803538/

I was looking at something like this. It is a bit out of budget but if i can get one slightly less that isn't cat recorded damage then definitely one of my favourite options out of all possiblities.

Whats the issue with the brakes? I remember test driving a 197 (as far as i know standard) and hammering it along a country lane then coming across a bridge very suddenly, t stopped much better than i ever expected and only got a tiny bit of air. I nearly bought the car there and then I was that impressed!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
http://www.cliosport.net/threads/clio-197-r26-engine-conversion-£7000.803538/

I was looking at something like this. It is a bit out of budget but if i can get one slightly less that isn't cat recorded damage then definitely one of my favourite options out of all possiblities.

Whats the issue with the brakes? I remember test driving a 197 (as far as i know standard) and hammering it along a country lane then coming across a bridge very suddenly, t stopped much better than i ever expected and only got a tiny bit of air. I nearly bought the car there and then I was that impressed!

I might be in the minority but I had an awful experience with OEM pads on track. I was getting horrific judder so fitted ferodo pads and ate fluid and the car was transformed.

Tyres are night and day too. Standard conti tyres are fine on the road but lacking on the track. I fitted entry level semi slicks and the car is now how it should've been out of the box :D

Me personally wouldn't be spending £5-6k on a track slag, it doesn't need to be pretty nor super quick. It's all about the fun factor and the 1*2 gives that in abundance. I bought mine for £1500 and have as much fun as anyone out there on track. Here's a couple of videos of mine in pretty much standard guise and I've only been doing track days for less than 18 months and I'm still amateur time, but still having great fun out there anyway...

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Dep mds hoe far you want to go. But a decent 172/182 track car can be bought for £3k ish

dan's cast offs.
Any links or pics please mate?

will grab you some pics, it's in storage at the mo but can get some over the next few days. also got a stripped 172 with pretty much brand new spax coilovers and new brakes as well.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
The smart money is just take your Focus. Have you ever done a track day before? How do you know you'll enjoy it enough to spend thousands per year doing it?

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
Buy a 182 with decent service history, strip it out (free), change the front disks, pads, fluid and lines, get some r888's and off you go. Its what i did and no regrets. :up:

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
Mine was under £400 to buy, and has cost about £3k in parts, cage, welding work, etc.

Lots of help from good friends on here too :up:

Swift Sport
An MX-5 is a great laugh there's no denying that, but in this day in age with the popularity of trackdays growing they just end up as mobile chicanes for all the Evo's, Caterham's and such like.
And that's coming from someone who has an MX-5 track car!

Just a consideration , buy a stock 172 cup and save the rest to buy something thats going to satisfy you , be faster , more reliable and not depreciate by being used on track

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...s/westfield-1989-full-rebuild-in-2004/6652685

And i chose that over others there on pistonheads as its correctly speced for track use , and easily upgradable for not silly money to be fair forget buying the 172 , just find another 3k.

that way you can be nobodys chicane and can spend your days passing evo's and porsches

Hi Dan, I have my focus and BMW through you! :)

I think i'm going to avoid kit cars, as soon as it rains i'll lose interest!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I think the mk2 would be definitely the best bet, cheap base car, 15" wheels so tyres cheap, keep the weight down so engine mods not really needed and just chuck it about and enjoy it

you'll get loads of change from 6k to get setup with one and it'll be much cheaper to keep running on consumables/repairs than a 197 (which will need boost or similar to make it as quick and then you open it up to mega bills on repairs)

of course, the best choice is a mark 1 as everyone knows they're the fastest.....but you cant get them anymore pretty much :tonguewink:

E46 M3, Clio 182
With your budget, I'd personally be looking for a 172/182 with some track orientated parts, which can be had for around 2.5K/3K. You can then spend the remaining budget making the car how you want it, whether that would be more extreme coil overs or performance mods! :up:

A quick question, i thought i'd add in here rather than a new post. How strong are the 1*2 engines? What kind of power can you take them up to before things start to go?

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
A quick question, i thought i'd add in here rather than a new post. How strong are the 1*2 engines? What kind of power can you take them up to before things start to go?

Have a look through some peoples build threads, especially NorthloopCup's. It can be done but it aint cheap.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Highly strung out the box. Unless large money don't bother.

With cams and manifold. 200bhp ish and will run fine if mapped correctly.

Turbo clios are ace, mega quick but in my experience albeit not owning one, a pain in the ass. Healthy engine with a few choice mods, exhaust, decat, filter etc will be great.

Suspension, brakes and tyres are their strong points