ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

***Tyre Poll***

what do you use/recommend and why?

• toyo proxies

Votes: 627 25.1%
  • eagle F1 gsd's

Votes: 390 15.6%
  • bridgestone potenza re720

Votes: 45 1.8%
  • dunlop sp sport

Votes: 44 1.8%
  • michelin pilot exalto

Votes: 809 32.3%
  • yoko A539's

Votes: 108 4.3%
  • kumho ecsta 712

Votes: 53 2.1%
  • other please state...

Votes: 426 17.0%

• Total voters
  clio mk2 1.4 16v
Hi mates, another tyre question:)

I am looking for a 195/45 R16 summer tyre. They should be the best at dry and average on wet.
I cant use 205/45 r16 (local law stuff).

I am looking at Yokohama S.drive or Michelin Pilot Sport 3.

They don't have to last forever as i don't drive the 172 daily and going to change them after 3-4 years anyway. I might attend two-three track days this year, but i never been at track and don't plan to break the time records, just have fun. And for track i have a set of 15" Ultraleggeras with some Toyo T-1R Proxes that have some thread left for a few laps.

I like more tyres with stiffer sidewalls, so if anyone has experience with these two, len me know pls.

thanks

Get some Yokohama Parada Spec 2s, much better than the t-1r in the dry and they have lasted me twice as long too. They aren't the greatest in the wet but their sidewalls are relatively stiff too.

PB172,dci100,dci65
I dont see them available in 195/45 R16, but thanks for the tip anyway. Will consider when looking to replace the Toyos on the 15"

Clio 172
Hopefully this will help someone. :) Kumho Ecsta HM KH31 review.

I have used the Kumho Ecsta KU31 on my previous 106's and Saxos and been very happy with them in the past. I then got a new car and fitted Avons because that's what was fitted in the first place. After recently getting the Clio 172, I carried out a lot of research before deciding to go back to the Kumho. Unfortunatly, it's become really hard to get the KU31's so ended up taking a punt on the KH31's because of my previous experience with the brand. Personally, I think these are a superb tires overall and offer brilliant value for money.

They are in the mid table of the tyre leauges, but perform far better than the price would have you believe. I paid £65 a corner fitted and balanced with new valves. Grip is excellent in both the wet and dry and is hard to unstick, especially compared to the previous set of toyo t1-r's that were fitted when I purchased the car.

I can't comment too much on the wear of the KH31 as they have been on for approx 3000 miles but they seem to be wearing very evenly and at a slow pace at the moment as last measurement was between 6.5-7mm all around. I got around 10-12k from a set of the KU31s in the past and I have friends who have had Kumho's fitted on their daily drives for a couple of years with a mix of road and track driving and still have life left in them. So hopefully these will be good for around 10k or more! With the Clio being a small car, it will probably be more forgiving on the tires wear!

I would thoroughly recommend these tires to anyone looking for a good all around tyre on a budget. They performs well when giving them some stick, hold well in the wet and aren't very noisy either for every day driving. Worth considering if you're in the market!

Jack

Exclusive no. 144
Just fitted 4 Uniroyal RainSport 3 tyres (15") to the Exclusive. Finally got to test them in the wet today- superb! Apparently the new non-directional tread design also eliminates the excessive road noise of the RainSport 2 tyres as they wear... Got 4 fitted for £200 (camskills). Bargain!

Renault Clio RS Ph1
I have Kumho Ecsta's on all wheels on my 172, bought it with the same wheels for my Honda Civic about a year ago. Did make a huge difference on the (completely original, no VTEC :sleepy:) Civic, but I think the Kumho's with the power of the Clio makes the handling unclear. The rear never breaks away and a good line between grip and understeer is absent in my opinion. I drove with my buddy in his Ford Fiesta Metal from 2011 fitted with Bridgestone Potenza's and those tyres feel much more predictable. Maybe I'll fit my Clio with those when the time comes.

Swift Sport
Has anyone had experience with the following as a road and track tyre...? (15")

- Hankook S1 EVO
- Nankang NS-2
- Yokohama Parada Spec-2
- Uniroyal Rainsport 3
- Michelin Pilot Sport PS3

I'm after a replacement for my T1-R's that were fine on road but way too soft on track, but don't want track specific tyres. My local tyre fitter sells all of the above at a very reasonable price, so what would you go for?

Swift Sport
Off to the tyre fitters tomorrow, and I've still got to choose from the above. Up to yet I'm going to go for the Hankooks, but thought I'd post one more time before I commit.

Any other preferences?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I've had some Uniroyal Rainsport 3's on for just over a week now , with 250 miles under their belt . I was impressed with the old Rainsport 2's i had taken off , and these are equally impressive , especially in the wet .

mk1 Octavia VRS
Off to the tyre fitters tomorrow, and I've still got to choose from the above. Up to yet I'm going to go for the Hankooks, but thought I'd post one more time before I commit.

Any other preferences?

Did you go for the Hankooks? How are you finding them?
I have them in 195/45/16 on the front of my Clio and they are great for the road. In my opinion the sidewall seems like it would be a bit too soft for track, but then I use 15" AD08Rs on track.

Swift Sport
Did you go for the Hankooks? How are you finding them?
I have them in 195/45/16 on the front of my Clio and they are great for the road. In my opinion the sidewall seems like it would be a bit too soft for track, but then I use 15" AD08Rs on track.
Yeah I've got Hankooks but haven't 'tested' them yet. Road comfort is better than the T1-R which would suggest that the sidewalks are soft. I'm doing Donington on the 9th so I'll see how they get on there :)

.Joe

ClioSport Club Member
  Mini Clubman
i've just got myself a set of the syron street race, superb value for money, 60 a tyre on 16's, havent tested them yet, but should hopefully soon

Currently.. Pirelli P4000's up front & Avon ZT5's at the rear..

Might switch to Firestone F590's though?

Goodyear UltraGrip 8's for winter...

(Michelin Primacy HP's all round on my scooby.. Like Pilot's just better!)

Last edited:
  Arctic 182FF
Could anyone suggest which tyres are best out of the following? I'm looking for good wet and dry performance and tread wear rates are also a factor. The tyres are all very similarly priced so that's not really a factor.

Pirelli Pzero GT
Continental Premium Contact 2
Michelin Pilot Sport 3

Cheers

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Could anyone suggest which tyres are best out of the following? I'm looking for good wet and dry performance and tread wear rates are also a factor. The tyres are all very similarly priced so that's not really a factor.

Pirelli Pzero GT
Continental Premium Contact 2
Michelin Pilot Sport 3

Cheers

General consensus on here would be to go with the Michelins.

'20 Zoe, '09 V70
What'd be the best tyre for general day to day pottering around with a little bit of motorway? I don't do track days etc - it's literally just a run-around for me.

Reckon the current set I've got on have about 5k left in them so not desperate for them right now but still, good to know. Preferably not mega expensive either.

'20 Zoe, '09 V70
My Hankook Ventus V12 Evos (205/45/16) would suit you perfectly.

Reviews say they're quite noisy - would you say they are? While I don't do mega miles on a motorway I still don't want a noisy ride. :down: Proper grates on me.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Whats the biggest tyre to fit on Turinis?

I wanted to get some Bridgestone A001 all seasons but they only do 205/55/16's lol

clio 182 trophy
Hankook Ventus V12 Evo 2 K120 - got a pair fitted for £75 each today. Seemed like a deal too good to turn down as the older tyre was rated quite highly. Also I saved £15 over blackcircles, which was great as their prices are very good usually. Anyone run these? I know they are new but don't know exactly how new.

I'm looking for some tyres for summer road use and trackday wets. With this in mind I'd like curcumferential tread bands as opposed to V-tread which rules out the GSD3 and Rainsports.
I run eagle assymetrics on my daily and they're awesome, but not made in 195/50 15 sadly. I've tried Toyo Proxes in the past and wouldnt fit them on a wheelbarrow so the remaining options seem to be sportcontacts or pilot exaltos.
What would people recommend of those or any others I've not thought of?
Cheers