ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyres - just shat myself

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Just driving home from work, sunglasses on windows down listening to some tunes and BANG.

Thought someone had chucked a brick through my rear window the sound was that loud!

Steering went heavy so I pulled over, jumped out and my front near side tyre was flat.

Tried some tyre spunk in a can (2 cans in fact) and no joy :(

Queue a 5 mile walk home after limping the car 1/2 mile on its flat tyre to a garage forecourt.

Picked up one of my track wheels and the trolly jack and ponced a lift back to the car.

Seems the tyre had blown a 50p size hole in the inner edge, dread to think what could have happened if I was running up the dual carriage way when it blew!

Shocked me when it went, who would have though 30 odd PSI could have made such a noise, lucky I was only doing 30 odd MPH.

Sorry one of those 'cool story bro' posts ;)

PS: Anyone got a Single Turini they want to sell, I want a spare wheel ;)

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
Just driving home from work, sunglasses on windows down listening to some tunes and BANG.

Thought someone had chucked a brick through my rear window the sound was that loud!

Steering went heavy so I pulled over, jumped out and my front near side tyre was flat.

Tried some tyre spunk in a can (2 cans in fact) and no joy :(

Queue a 5 mile walk home after limping the car 1/2 mile on its flat tyre to a garage forecourt.

Picked up one of my track wheels and the trolly jack and ponced a lift back to the car.

Seems the tyre had blown a 50p size hole in the inner edge, dread to think what could have happened if I was running up the dual carriage way when it blew!

Shocked me when it went, who would have though 30 odd PSI could have made such a noise, lucky I was only doing 30 odd MPH.

Sorry one of those 'cool story bro' posts ;)

PS: Anyone got a Single Turini they want to sell, I want a spare wheel ;)
30psi is nothing mate. Been in a truck when it's had a blow out on the rear tyre running 100PSI. Took out the wing and bent the mounting bracket.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
I can imagine! Also, low car + flat = pain in the ass, bloody jack wouldn't fit under, thankfully a curb came to the rescue.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Ouch, unlucky mate. Any idea how it happened?

Nope none at all, was driving past local football club, can only guess there may have been a broken bottle or something I ran over.

Pair of new PS3 tyres going on tomorrow, £210 lighter wallet!

Clio 182
Nope none at all, was driving past local football club, can only guess there may have been a broken bottle or something I ran over.

That's very unlucky then, good excuse for some new tyres though :D

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
No real harm done, TBH its not like you dont need the exercise anyway mr Kettle.

Daily needs a spare really, pointless not having if you have space for one

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
No real harm done, TBH its not like you dont need the exercise anyway mr Kettle.

Daily needs a spare really, pointless not having if you have space for one

Pmsl, very true Mr Pot, I'm turning into you, bald and tubby lol

Thankfully it's only 7 miles each way to work so not a huge issue, but I think I'll pick up a spare Turini for the boot, lost my jack as well ( not that they are any cop getting the car off the floor )

RS6 C7
Iv'e seen a guy blown half way across a 30 foot unit after a tipper truck tyre blew out. Lucky to be alive to be honest.

My dad's whole wheel fell off at 60MPH a few year back, Mechanic hadn't tightened the nuts up. That was on a motorway so was very lucky. He just put the wheel back on and took and bolt from each wheel to get him back!.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member

Is that fitted? Where from?

I need some new rears, my original PE2's still have loads of tread but are starting to crack now :( Not done bad for 7 years and 43k miles though, really worth spending the extra on the Michelins!

PB Clio 172
This has happened to me at 90mph, very scary but lets remember its a very common thing to happen!

should always be in the back of our minds this....

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Back in 93 in a 1988 Astra 1.3, 100mph 5 up on the M1 from Alton Towers and the front left let go (I was a rear passenger).

Driver held it well because it tried it's hardest to get out of shape! Brakes and Tyres have to be the most important safety feature on a car.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Is that fitted? Where from?

I need some new rears, my original PE2's still have loads of tread but are starting to crack now :( Not done bad for 7 years and 43k miles though, really worth spending the extra on the Michelins!

Mytyres £206 fitted, just checked my invoice. Got just under £10 back from topcashback as well.

Ged

PD130 Peach
Had a friend in a wagon the other day. Driving through a local village. 115psi back tyre blew next to a bus shelter and buckeled and ripped of the steel sides of the bus shelter apart.

Air is powerfull stuff....

CursedTitanium 182FF
Tires can kill, a worker on my cousins farm was inflating a rear tractor tire & he left it to go answer the phone, came back to it a few minutes later, as he was just getting next to it BANG! killed him outright.

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
Tires can kill, a worker on my cousins farm was inflating a rear tractor tire & he left it to go answer the phone, came back to it a few minutes later, as he was just getting next to it BANG! killed him outright.
I will always remember being shown a picture at college of the indentation in the roof of a guy that had been standing over a massive tyre as it went bang.