ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Used canon 400D...

An orange one
Hi guys, completely new to cameras with the exception of my average point and shoot, and my iphone 5S.

A friend is selling a 3-4 year old Canon 400D in excellent condition, with a Canon 18-55mm lens, case, box, instructions etc.

Its silver (would much prefer black) and he's after around £180, would this still make a decent first DSLR or is it getting on a bit now?

Id quite like a 70D but I'm worried at spending £1000 and getting bored and hardly using it!

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
It will be a decent enough camera for you to test the water with.
Looking on eBay, the price seems about right too.

An orange one
what kind of lens would you reccomend mate?

Is it worth shelling out more for a 550D or newer?

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
There's nothing wrong with a kit lens for starting out with.
Don't bother spending money on lenses before you've even taken a picture with it. Once you've decided what you want to be taking pictures of, then look at a more suitable lens imo.

An orange one
Hi Colin, shameless plug but im selling my 400D on ebay at the min with a Tamron 70-300mm lens. Its been a brilliant camera and I bought it for the same reason as you, just trying to get into photography. Im only selling mine as I got an upgrade for xmas

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301074223002?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 :p

Hi mate

I'll certainly keep an eye on yours, so is the 70-300mm lens better for more zoom? or better for close up?

WR1 impreza
Most definitely zoom. Bought it to use on our honeymoon on a cruise and it was awesome. Could do with a lens between the two to be honest as you feel like your forever swapping between lenses just to get the right shot. Was never quite sure why I bought the filter either. Don't know what it does and never read up on the fact either lol

An orange one
Cameras for sale left right and centre all of a sudden lol :)

Wick yours sounds cool too, what is the advantages of the 450 over the 400? What is involved in a contact clean?

Not a bad package tbh

To be honest mate, the 70-300 I'm effectively just chucking in lol.

The contact between the camera and the lens (metal connection pick up) has been a bit temperamental recently. Sometimes it's fine, sometime the camera body chucks up an error saying the lens hasn't connected. Not looked into it at all really as I haven't used the camera in few months. It's only that lens, the other two work faultlessly.

RE: 450D, it's the DLSR I was recommended by few of the camera guru's on here as a cheap starter camera. It's served me very well and taught me all the basics I need.

RE: 450D vs 400D, the 450D is just an all round newer model... Faster, quicker, better performance, lighter, screen size, dark condition handling etc... Good comparison here, scroll down for full details:

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EOS_400D-vs-Canon_EOS_450D

Just shout if you want any more info.