Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walkie Talkies

Discussion in 'Local Meetings' started by McGherkin, Mar 22, 2016.

1. McGherkin

McGherkin ClioSport Club Member

Car:
    Boostvagn.
    Hi folks.

Summer is coming which means there will be lots of meets going on, and where there are meets, there are convoys!

One of the main problems with convoys is communication. I think we've all been in the situation where we're screaming out the window on the motorway trying to tell someone that we need fuel/a piss/a rest, or been in the second half of a convoy that's been unceremoniously cut in half by a set of traffic lights.

How would CS feel about everyone plumping for a particular brand/model of walkie talkie, to use at local and national meets?

I'd imagine they'd be a right riot at CSF and would allow multi-region convoys to all talk to each other, as well as obviously being invaluable at local meets.

For example, Motorola's TLKR T40 walkie talkies have a 4km range, run on AAAs, and can be had for as little as £11 apiece.

I'm thinking that at first we could organise a group buy of these walkie talkies, and then maybe even stock them in the CS store for new joiners to buy. Area reps could also maybe keep a couple of spares, again in case new joiners need them.

Are any regions currently extensively using walkie talkies, that the rest of us could look at adopting? Otherwise we have a pretty clean sheet to start from.

2. Filters

Filters Wales - South ClioSport Area Rep

Car:
    172 cup
    +1 for this...cracking idea.

3. James

James ClioSport Moderator

Car:
    E46 M3
    As a radio communications engineer, you'll not get 4km range car to car. Maybe in a 4km open flat field

4. McGherkin

Car:
    Boostvagn.
    Yeah, it'll never be the full 4km, but easily enough to go from one end of the convoy to the other.

James likes this.
  5. Mikeyjp

Mikeyjp

Car:
    Clio Trophy
    i hope they will be hands free... :tonguewink::smile:

6. Knuckles

Knuckles ClioSport Admin

Car:
    LY r27
    Cracking idea.

A few people around here have them and I've really wanted one to join in. At CSS last year, ash and Tom had Wilkie talkies and I had to (hands free) conference call them. It was s**t lol

Cheap as chips.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ANG0M0E/?tag=cliospnet01-21

Do these work with any old Walkie talkie? I don't actually know how these work, do you need the same models or just the same frequency?

7. McGherkin

Car:
    Boostvagn.
    Walkie talkies don't actually come under the same legislation as mobile phones, in fact as long as they're not connected to a communications network they're fine.

8. Filters

Filters Wales - South ClioSport Area Rep

Car:
    172 cup
    Coming from a bike back ground, they've always been a little bit vital for meets as everyone rode at a different pace. The front runner (as I found out by taking the bike on a cs meet) can end up a fair few miles in front. Handy for keeping people up dated to any issues on route as they could relay it to the middle and back runners.

9. McGherkin

Car:
    Boostvagn.
    This I don't know. I was under the impression that they were different for different models.