ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Web site restoring help

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
my host contacted me saying he was changing servers so need to grab a copy of my web site, which I did. so I used the backup feature and have a copy.

servers have been changed over and I'm now trying to get my site back up and running but I'm struggling.

took all the files under public_html and copied them onto the new servers and put them in the same public_html folder. I thought everything I needed for my site was under public_html

but I just get this - www.laser-man.co.uk

what have I done wrong?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
my host contacted me saying he was changing servers so need to grab a copy of my web site, which I did. so I used the backup feature and have a copy.

servers have been changed over and I'm now trying to get my site back up and running but I'm struggling.

took all the files under public_html and copied them onto the new servers and put them in the same public_html folder. I thought everything I needed for my site was under public_html

but I just get this - www.laser-man.co.uk

what have I done wrong?
New host got php capability?

182 T
Create an info php page like 'info.php' and put this in it

<?php
php info();
?>

Put it in your public html folder and browse to it, see if it gives you a php info page.

Did you install Joomla with a script or do it yourself? I would also suggest getting your host (or editing your php.ini if you access) to turn off strict error reporting.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Create an info php page like 'info.php' and put this in it

<?php
php info();
?>

Put it in your public html folder and browse to it, see if it gives you a php info page.

Did you install Joomla with a script or do it yourself? I would also suggest getting your host (or editing your php.ini if you access) to turn off strict error reporting.
could I not just upload the entire backup file via ftp to the new hosting? would that work?

err on the old servers I installed joomla

182 T
Yea but the errors reporting on your page from what i can publically see is php strict errors (so turn off strict php error reporting) and databae connection errors which suggest the sql db isnt there or isnt in the same location it was.

Creating a php info page would prove php was working properly and what version and kind of setup is running

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
pfff ok, but ive not got a clue what to do.

any use? if not then ive not got a clue???

Untitled_zps8imdslua.png

I've never known a host to change servers without migrating their users' files. Very poor.

The only thing you should have done is change your nameservers (depending on who you own the domain through). I'm assuming the host is a 'mate' rather than an actual company?

Yeah that is piss poor.

They have likely changed PHP version, or changed the modules loaded, which is giving your site some grief as some rules seem to have changed (all the JLoader issues).

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I've never known a host to change servers without migrating their users' files. Very poor.

The only thing you should have done is change your nameservers (depending on who you own the domain through). I'm assuming the host is a 'mate' rather than an actual company?

Not a mate but dare I say an ebay purchase. Although I have been with him for like 8 years

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Yeah that is piss poor.

They have likely changed PHP version, or changed the modules loaded, which is giving your site some grief as some rules seem to have changed (all the JLoader issues).

Anyone offering to sort it out for me, it would seem I'm clueless :-(

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
um, I did a full backup. not sure what that means but in my head that means everything. in the backup folder there is stuff like MySQL and bits, so I'm assuming I have everything

not sure they/he has a number to phone.

When you backed up, did you backup the database as well?

I'd give them a ring, the support they've provided is piss poor, and if you haven't backed up the DB then it's new install time 😧 (at least content-wise).