ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Weekend car - Accidental....

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
New exhaust trial fitted. Looks and sounds good!

CE15EA6C-B9AC-4A5C-8B31-8AA20F268220.jpg

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
This weekend it was back to being a t**t.

First off I decided to look into why when on the move it won't hold coolant temp. After a strip down (which was a massive ballache due to the location of the coolant rail bolts) it turns out the last owner had drilled 4 big holes in the thermostat. This is common place on K series to make them run a bit cooler. Sadly 4 was over kill.

I've swapped it out for a OEM stat with a single hole drilled. It now holds a happy 85deg all the time.

Then on the test run I lost the clutch. Luckily the a straight cut box is quite nice to use with no clutch!

Got home to find this:

04C36441-6DCA-4A01-A88D-4B749153FA2B.jpg

Slight lack of any clutch fluid. Sadly the slave cylinder is hidden under the scuttle. Out came the hammer and angle grinder.

B64FC457-BF71-4860-8FFA-2349E10E1458.jpg

DF21A961-CA8F-4184-94FF-CDA53542AF80.jpg

Slave cylinder is now out and the trans tunnel is cleaned up. Had to spend an hour on the net identifying the slave cylinder. Seems it is off a classic mini which is good as a slave cylinder is only £20!

Should be here next week. Forgot how much love these things need.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
LOL @ this pro-ject, Stephen.

Top marks for getting stuck right in though.
Its really enjoyable.

I would have built one if the IVA test wasn't so expensive now.

I was out bid on a set of Jenvey's for this at the last minute last night. I think that will be the route I go down next.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...es-from-1-october-2014#iva-passenger-vehicles
Same as theyve been for ages. it's not the test fee itself that would put me off, its the faff of fitting loads of stuff you dont want or need to tow it there, inevitably fail on a technicality, drag it home, sort it out, wait to resubmit and then get it home passed and swap all the parts you wanted in the first place. The total 'cost' will wind up around £1500.

That said, its a small part of the total cost of building one of these from a new kit! I suspect if people were honest with themselves, a decent one is 20k.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...es-from-1-october-2014#iva-passenger-vehicles
Same as theyve been for ages. it's not the test fee itself that would put me off, its the faff of fitting loads of stuff you dont want or need to tow it there, inevitably fail on a technicality, drag it home, sort it out, wait to resubmit and then get it home passed and swap all the parts you wanted in the first place. The total 'cost' will wind up around £1500.

That said, its a small part of the total cost of building one of these from a new kit! I suspect if people were honest with themselves, a decent one is 20k.
I could build a car to the spec of mine for £10000.

BUT the faff around it would probs cost £2000 on top which you can't really budget for.

Last I looked, the kit parts were around 6k and left you needing engine, gearbox, diff and a multitude of other bits.

And of course you then dont build to the spec of what you bought, you fit nice wheels and seats and a cage like you're doing now along with the inevitable damper upgrade, throttle bodies etc.

I'm sure you could do one for ten like you say, but no one does.

I speced a build to the spec of my old car last year for someone

35k ish , just in kit and parts .

I'd go back to a caterham

@Waitey I was the man behind the caged cages when Phil and I first sorted them

Lots of bitching at the time within wscc about it and Westfield themselves , then caterham got arsey

That's why the top bars are curved ones caterham and triangulated on the Westfield version

They are a cracking cage , but then you need the fluke caterham aeroscreen

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
I speced a build to the spec of my old car last year for someone

35k ish , just in kit and parts .

I'd go back to a caterham

@Waitey I was the man behind the caged cages when Phil and I first sorted them

Lots of bitching at the time within wscc about it and Westfield themselves , then caterham got arsey

That's why the top bars are curved ones caterham and triangulated on the Westfield version

They are a cracking cage , but then you need the fluke caterham aeroscreen

I never knew Caged has gone under.

Cage should be delivered tomorrow. Will keep the screen for now and look to change in the future.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Cage was delivered by its old owner today.... from Scotland! Sod that. Didn't want any money for delivery either.

876FDB16-67C2-4DAB-A7E0-CF8B4DFB53E8.jpg

Set about fitting which is a scuttle off job.

26F88570-61B4-44C3-995C-2D3A1BE34E3E.jpg

D9622C11-6A29-4D5B-9235-2A2E93E50E2C.jpg

Everyone says its a two man job. Pfft one man and some straps...

A127A7A0-CB7E-42D7-93C3-4C9F1AF75CAB.jpg

On/In and looking awesome!

DD977F30-A605-4CBC-904F-4545684BAD80.jpg

429CCCDF-4F71-4B84-84C3-12D26BBFEA64.jpg

@Waitey

When it's in can you do me a favour and take off what looks like pipe lagging and fit proper FIA density foam.

You have no idea helmet or not how bad just having pipe lagging is.
Having seen the damage to a skull I'd feel happier .

A length of the right stuff will cost you 20 quid

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Nice post Harv :up:

That original .. hoop ? What's the fcuking point. Looks like it will just fold like a soggy newspaper in the event of an upside down.

Caterham ones at least have a pair of bars going backwards off the hoop to suggest some level of a) thought and b) triangulation.

Cage is win tho. Nice one Wait-ey.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Nice post Harv :up:

That original .. hoop ? What's the fcuking point. Looks like it will just fold like a soggy newspaper in the event of an upside down.

Caterham ones at least have a pair of bars going backwards off the hoop to suggest some level of a) thought and b) triangulation.

Cage is win tho. Nice one Wait-ey.
The original hoop did have rear bars, I'd already taken them off in that photo. It was an MSA spec rear roll bar.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
@Waitey

When it's in can you do me a favour and take off what looks like pipe lagging and fit proper FIA density foam.

You have no idea helmet or not how bad just having pipe lagging is.
Having seen the damage to a skull I'd feel happier .

A length of the right stuff will cost you 20 quid

It is old cage foam. It's done 7 years of sprint comps in Scotland.

Its all coming off when I paint the cage.

Looks very soft in the the cable ties have pulled it in , seriously the right stuff is very dense

@Waitey you get two types of cage padding, the soft stuff you have is for around door openings and stuff to save you banging your knee etc as you get in (low speed impact) and the stuff @harvsurrey is referring to is a really dense hard foam which is designed to spread the load of high speed impact between your helmet and the cage bars. At low speeds getting in and out of the car it won't feel much different to banging your head on the cage!
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motor...mon-tweeks-flame-retardant-roll-bar-padding-2

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/roll-bar-padding/omp-fia-approved-roll-bar-padding-2

The above is spot on.

You only need 3 lengths , the 2 outside bars and the rear inner triangulation (1 piece cut in half does both sides.

You can see them in the below pics

Also the half doors I had made a huge difference from wind buffeting and getting crap off the road into your lap

d51dd0ef3e95a36490c8c24ab7489943.jpg
02891a5793d7056a889d7bc79fef204d.jpg

BMW M4; S1000 RR
CS101: How to have a debate over some foam on someone else's car...

Am I being dense, or have you not got bigger problems if your head is moving upward 30cm in a crash situations than hitting a metal bar?

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
f**king hell CS. I've already said I'm changing it! I can't help what it arrived with.

I've got Carbon side door being made along with some carbon cycle wings.

CS101: How to have a debate over some foam on someone else's car...

Am I being dense, or have you not got bigger problems if your head is moving upward 30cm in a crash situations than hitting a metal bar?
You will be amazed how much you can move and from memory isn't waitey reasonably tall

Look at this pic , you can get closer than you think

And it's not a debate it was some friendly advice to help stop someone getting a brain injury

For 30 or 40 quid I'd rather someone told me (my cage builder did hence I know)
d43adb7f972b4d146985981185a6de11.jpg

f**king hell CS. I've already said I'm changing it! I can't help what it arrived with.

I've got Carbon side door being made along with some carbon cycle wings.
Whose making those ? The doors make a big difference

Downside is having to look like a hero, as you drop from the top getting in

Rather than trying side entry