ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Weld in/ Bolt in harness bar

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Hi guys hopefully a few of you have done this, or have a good idea where is strong enough

I've got some fixed buckets for the car and will eventually fit some harnesses once it stops being used pretty much daily.

So whilst I save for a roll cage wondering if any of you lot have weld in or bolt in harness bars in your clios? And if so post some pics? Obviously needs to be somewhere solid, I know the omp ones use the shock tops, can't see these being anywhere near strong enough

Thanks in advance [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E46 M3, Clio 182
An option would be to have the necessary harness bars incorporated into the roll cage? Don't have any pictures, but believe this is quite common.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Don't use the shock tops...

Get some 3mm steel plate 3in x 3in minimum and weld it to the body inline with the shocks, then get some cage tubing welded to that.

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
I have a CDS tube harness bar for sale, pm me. Its a bolt in type that I had made. Angles much better than bolted to the floor.

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
15801971391_8b8d5dd63c_c.jpg
clio-2014-11-update-1
by Adam Lister, on Flickr

This was my setup on the old Cup. Had spreader plates either side; if that makes sense.

It meant I could hide the harnesses away when I wasn't using them.

That's exactly the thing I'm thinking of, what did you do weld in spreader plates inside and outside the strut towers? You any pics without inside trim?

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
The car is long since sold, and I've never held a welder in my life.

But, I'm seeing the guy who did the work tonight so I'll ask him. :up:

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Don't use the shock tops...

Get some 3mm steel plate 3in x 3in minimum and weld it to the body inline with the shocks, then get some cage tubing welded to that.

Exactly what I'm thinking of doing, can get steel from work so the materials aren't going to cost me, I just want to see examples of people's what they've done and where they've had them welded in etc for inspiration [emoji106]

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Exactly what I'm thinking of doing, can get steel from work so the materials aren't going to cost me, I just want to see examples of people's what they've done and where they've had them welded in etc for inspiration [emoji106]

Pretty much what @adamlstr had done, although a tiny bit more towards the rear and inline with the shock strut. It's a bit flatter there although you will have to curve the plate slightly still.

M235i / 172
I made this before I put a cage in. Well actually I still use it just with the harness run over the bars in the cage for the best angle.

It's fish plated through the strut, and also mounted down to the original belt anchor points and all fully tig welded.

Attachments

• IMG_1659.JPG
    IMG_1659.JPG
    435.3 KB · Views: 241

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Aren't harnesses meant to be mounted at shoulder level +/- a few degrees?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I always thought having them mounted lower than shoulder height can properly damage you in the event of a crash?

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
IMG_0557.JPG

Welded in by a guy near Basingstoke who does roll cages for a lot of race cars, can't remember his name but he's on the Basingstoke to Reading road.