ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What shall I do? Repair or Reshell?

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Hi all,

03 plate 172 ph2, gone fairly heavily down the track car route and have just had a cage fitted (welded in bases etc.) and plenty of modifications. It was always meant to be a cheap-ish project.

The shell is far from mint, which doesnt bother me, but recently I have found some bad rust. The sills need replacing, they have currently been patched (hole around 6 inches long either side!).

Before I go further (front half of the cage, roof scoop etc.), do I bother repairing the sills, or reshell, or just leave it and kick its head in for a few years?

Im just worried I will be driving round in a rotbox and its pointless spending on it either way! Thoughts?

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Just get them fixed as it sounds like you already have a decent amount of time and money invested in it. Picture of the rust would be helpful though..

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Pics below. These have been plated but the sill will need doing, about half on each side along with the rear arch/sill/inner quarter junction.

IMG_7928.JPG
IMG_7757.JPG

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
Repair for me, the cill panels aren't expensive. Plus a lot of shells will have the same issue so once you have repaired you know its solid

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
What sort of time frame are we talking for this to be a major repair? Its only used on track and driving to and from, would it last another year or so?

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
Depends if your paying a body shop to do it or doing it yourseLf, it would last another few years dependent on passing an MOT

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
I cant weld, im willing to learn but I think its quite a challenging repair. Il probably leave it for a few years and see how its fared.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Just get it fixed, nip it in the bud before it set's in. They are under the skirts anyway so whatever body shop you get to do it can just blow it in now problem. I would be surprised if it cost you more than £3-400.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
doesn't look too bad tbh chap, repair i'd say. can you poke a hole in any of the problem areas with a screwdriver? if not and its still solid enough it'll be fine for a year or so i'd say.

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Yeah. In talks getting it done with the rest of the cage.

Fuel filler cap is starting but hoping i can treat that.

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
doesn't look too bad tbh chap, repair i'd say. can you poke a hole in any of the problem areas with a screwdriver? if not and its still solid enough it'll be fine for a year or so i'd say.

I could do, used a crowbar and didnt take much effort.

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
where are you located? Seeing as its hidden behind the sideslirts I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just get a mobile welder to do the welding then paint them up.

that's what I would do personally

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
mmmm, maybe its worse than pics show then! either way still reckon patch it up, gonna be easier than a full reshell