ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What trolley jack does everyone use?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I'm after a trolley jack and was wondering what everyone is using?
Don't want to be spending hundreds, but after something that is fairly robust and won't collapse during use.
Would a low profile one be the way to go? I dont have any plans on going super low with the 182 but if they're more handy?

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
This massive bulky s**t thing which barely fits under my car.

IMG_6329.PNG

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M4; S1000 RR
Arcan 2 tonne one from Costco.

Much more solid than my old halfords on, takes less pumps too lift the car and it only cost 80 or 90 quid

This one.

I know people that have used it in a workshop and on a racing team. Very powerful and built to last.

Literally the reason I signed up to Costco tbh (you can just buy it from the website instead for a little extra cash)

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I'd looked at those, but read the reviews and they weren't so promising. Obviously axle stands would be used too, but having a jack that slowly drops doesn't sound great. Have you noticed that before?
Seen this and it looks half decent,
http://www.sgs-engineering.com/garage-equipment/trolley-jacks/tjl2-2-tonne-low-profile-trolley-jack
Cheap too, but the cheapness puts me off!

That looks like a halfords on (same design). I'd get something substantial. Like the one i suggested lol

http://www.costco.co.uk/view/p/arcan-2000kg-aluminiumsteel-service-jack-model-hj2000eu-900930

I also have the halfords kit poste above. Everything is still going strong 6-7 years on

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I have this one from costco bud, I use it loads from jacking up my car, van and the wife's Volvo S60.

I think know it was about £90, great bit of kit imo.

f52e2b493a5bf26a4c457817b4769b7f.jpg
Does look really robust! What sort of size is it? Only thinking as it'd be sat in my room with the rest of my tools until I move out of student letting.

I'd looked at those, but read the reviews and they weren't so promising. Obviously axle stands would be used too, but having a jack that slowly drops doesn't sound great. Have you noticed that before?

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/garage-equipment/trolley-jacks/tjl2-2-tonne-low-profile-trolley-jack

I have the SGS one, it's great for the money. Comes in a nice carry box etc. Been in use for a year and a bit never let me down at all!

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Hmmm it's like a proper one.

Weights 40kg I think.

This is what puts me off for the time being. If I had by own garage it'd be great, but lugging it up and down a flight of stairs doesn't sound fun.

I have the SGS one, it's great for the money. Comes in a nice carry box etc. Been in use for a year and a bit never let me down at all!

Ahh that's good to hear! Did you pay more for the jack case and jacking pad or was it the same one i linked to?

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
If you can get away with storing it then the arcan one is brilliant for the money. The handle splits into 2 pieces to make it a bit better.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
The Arcan jack is back breakingly heavy to carry. Don't get it if you're going to be moving it up and down stairs!! If it's just in and out of a house then yes. I carry mine from the garage to the road sometimes.

But it is a monster.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
The Arcan jack is back breakingly heavy to carry. Don't get it if you're going to be moving it up and down stairs!! If it's just in and out of a house then yes. I carry mine from the garage to the road sometimes.

But it is a monster.

Haha, okay cheers! Seems this doesn't really fit my bill (for now anyway). Think I might take a punt at the SGS one, and see how it holds up. Hoping to get a house with a garage when i finish uni and I can contemplate something more substantial then. Can't complain for £25 really.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)

Had one, didn't last that long tbh. If I was to buy another I'd be getting the Costco or similar

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Go for that one then mate.
What went wrong with it mate? Was it after many uses it broke? Not wanting to go against peoples experiences as that'd just be a pointless thread then! Rather know and maybe get something better (But not as huge as the costco one!).

I've had this for a few years and it's still working great, lifts the Clio with ease. It's also lifted my 1700kg Mazda 6 MPS and Volvo S60 tank. Not once has it let me down nor gone down whilst lifting. I got this with carry case, 2 x axel stands and lifting pad. All still going strong but the pad can slip on the narrow chassis beams of the Clio so I just use a small rectangular piece of wood on the cradle to lift as using the cradle alone tears at the underseal.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
What went wrong with it mate? Was it after many uses it broke? Not wanting to go against peoples experiences as that'd just be a pointless thread then! Rather know and maybe get something better (But not as huge as the costco one!).

I didn't use it a massive amount, partners brother used it a few times. It just wouldn't lift anymore. Was right before our house move so just left it. Took enough time time to lift and felt cheap which it is. For the money it's okay and others like it. But I would buy a better one next time around.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I didn't use it a massive amount, partners brother used it a few times. It just wouldn't lift anymore. Was right before our house move so just left it. Took enough time time to lift and felt cheap which it is. For the money it's okay and others like it. But I would buy a better one next time around.
That's odd, almost like it was just not pressurising? I'll give it a shot as others have had good experiences with SGS, and if it's crap i'll return it.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Where's the most suitable jacking points then? Mine appear to have been bent in during it's past life, and even if I bent them back out I don't think i'd trust them! Seen people suggesting using the chassis boxed parts underneath but they don't look too strong! Where would axle stands be best suited when it's front/back?

Where's the most suitable jacking points then? Mine appear to have been bent in during it's past life, and even if I bent them back out I don't think i'd trust them! Seen people suggesting using the chassis boxed parts underneath but they don't look too strong! Where would axle stands be best suited when it's front/back?
Chassis beams front to rear, just make sure the front ones are places as far forward as possible as the rear can lift if you place them to far back, I actually caught mine as it started to lift when removing the rear interior then rear wheels.