ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What trolley jack does everyone use?

I have 2 low level alloy jack's

2 ton rapid lift , light to chuck in the car for track days and super low

Had em 10 years or more and only paid 30 quid for each

Everyone and his dog sells them these days

682a0ee4891fd1ad20b4239f6d67a04c.jpg

I'd recommend this for value for money

http://www.screwfix.com/p/hilka-pro...T12RcP_DT5RXG8jMV_i9lf8c5r7cTOFoichoCTILw_wcB

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Do bother pissing about with one of them small jacks with the tiny cup, get a proper one unless you need to take it up at down stairs/transport it around.

I've had a big Sealey one for ages now and it's still going strong. Heavy as f**k, struggle to lift it but all I have to do is wheel it in and out of the garage. Was about £100 but definitely worth the money.

Only problem is, my car is quite low so I need to drive onto a bit of wood to jack up from the rail behind sill but no biggy.

obcuz

ClioSport Club Member
I've got a SGS low profile trolley jack, I find the pivoting handle REALLY useful in confined spaces (inside a small narrow garage), cup is small though - though this is sometimes an advantage.
Even though low profile - this only applies to lifting arm, the reach is not that good for lowered cars and I usually have to use a scissor to start lift.
Would recommend value for money.

Clio 197
I've got a SGS low profile trolley jack, I find the pivoting handle REALLY useful in confined spaces (inside a small narrow garage), cup is small though - though this is sometimes an advantage.
Even though low profile - this only applies to lifting arm, the reach is not that good for lowered cars and I usually have to use a scissor to start lift.
Would recommend value for money.
I'd agree with this. The reach on it isn't that great. I have to use the sill jacking points and put the axle stands under the subframe however this is only on the front. However for the money I can't complaint

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Well my SGS one is getting delivered on monday, and for the £35 posted I can't complain. Storage and transportation up and down stairs were my main concerns but in the future i'll invest in a bigger one. Will update when I get it if people want? Can never have enough tools!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Only say that as when I was looking for one ages ago some said they were all the same but different prices etc.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
I had one of the small ones fail on me quite a few years ago when I was jacking up my 1.2 Clio, safe to say I needed to change my pants and then went and bought the big Sealey one.

Christopher.

South Central-South Coast
ClioSport Area Rep
Another SGS. Managed to order the wrong one mind :) Got the 2.5Tonne low profile...... Its massive.

Also had a SGS Eng engine stand. There stuff is top quality. If i had space id have the tool box they do as well.

I've got the orange Halfords 2 tonne one. If I was buying again I'd go for something else. It's slow to jack up, doesn't always jack high enough (I tend to use it with a block of wood to spread the weight and get more height) and one of the front wheel bolts actually unscrewed from too much back and forth movement. It is light enough to carry though and won't break the bank.

BMW 320d SE
I have an Arcan 3 tonne low entry trolley jack that I picked up in Costco a couple of years ago. It's brilliant but it is back-breakingly heavy to lift. Costco now only seem to sell the aluminium lightweight Arcan. Still lifts 2 tonnes or so. I wish I had room for two as I'd get that one as well!

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Well the SGS one arrived today and it seems to be decent quality! Not yet tried it as it's wet outside but for the price it's looking pretty good. Was quite interesting they suggest servicing of it every month and topping up with oil, how many people do that with their trolley jacks?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Well the SGS one arrived today and it seems to be decent quality! Not yet tried it as it's wet outside but for the price it's looking pretty good. Was quite interesting they suggest servicing of it every month and topping up with oil, how many people do that with their trolley jacks?

That won't be needed unless you're using it all day every day.

Once a year i do/check mine.

FF Racing Blue 182
I bought this jack for £15 unused. It's mercedes stamped, but it's mass produced. I used it to change discs and pads on my 182. It lifted the back fine, but the front it felt like it was struggling and took a bit of force to get it up. It has a swivel handle and the cup is quite small which could be bigger imo.

Still, it's better than nothing.
imaedwwxyheuzgzv_56729e296f532._autostark-2-ton-hydraulic-trolley-jack-for-mercedes-c-class-old.jpg

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Unless of course it fails when you use it. Then it's completely useless
If it does fail the damage should be fairly minimal as all the wheels are still on though? Unless you do work with a trolley jack and no axle stands which is a bit silly.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
If I was say changing a wheel or fooking about there's plenty of times I've not used axle stands. The only time I personally would use them if both front wheels were off the ground.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
I used stands all the time, no matter how small/quick the job is.

f**k getting crushed by my own car.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
But all you have to do is slide an axle stand under, you dont even have to move the jack. Not worth the risk IMHO. (Obviously different if repairing a flat at the side of the road though).

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
If I'm changing a wheel and it's only going to take a few mins I'll just put one under the cill slightly lower than the jack height so if it does slip or fail then at least it'll hit onto that rather then me/the floor.

I am a bit paranoid of jacks failing after that small cheapo one failed on me

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
f**k doing anything on a car unless it's under stands. I always have the thought of the car landing on me and not being able to say bye to my loved ones along with them finding my dead body under the car, it well upsets me. Happy weekend everyone

Thread revival, after recommending the SGS that I have...
It stopped lifting the car the day before I went to the ring, not ideal. Had 2 years use out of it, but it has lived outside to be fair.

Looking to replace it but want something that can reach to the subframe as the sills on my 182 aren't the best.