ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What V8???

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
i want a v8 engine and manual gearbox.

I want it cheap as possible and as powerful as possible. It needs to sound epic too!

What are my options?

Reactions: Ben

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I just want the engine and box to drop into something stupid, however, if I have to buy a car to do that then so be it hence no budget.

As cheap as possible means just that. Best bang for my buck.

Been looking at E38's for roughly £1500

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Jaguar S-Type R = 4.2 Supercharged V8 [emoji1]

Shame they only come as an auto... [emoji30]

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I do like the merc engines however they're pretty exclusively auto when it comes to boxes are they not?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
There was a 3k s4 for sale a while back that needed a bit of engine work.

But as the engine would be coming out that wouldn't be a problem for you and you could probably make money back breaking the rest of it. Can't for the life of me find the advert though

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah been looking at cars but it's easier to find engines.

I'd also rather not have the car hanging about, then again it might be handy for parts lol.

The trouble with audi's is they are fairly modern engines which cost more to buy and for parts.

BMW's seem to be the middle ground then you have the American ones which are cheap as chips unless they have the word "hotrod" in the advert in which case the costs tripples. And I imagine parts would be a little difficult to get hold of

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
My mate just sold a 3.7 V8 (iirc?) Audi A8 for £600.
Might be worth seeing if a manual box is able to go on?

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
What about an E39 5-Series didn't they do a 540i?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Think it's the same 4.2 as the e38 mentioned earlier. They seem to be winning so far because they're cheapest lol.

Those 7 series have a v12 too lol

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
It has crossed my mind, I want a rwd v8.

Unfortunately the steering rack is in the way so something else...maybe

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I used to work with a guy who was into his drifting. He put a Lexus LS400 engine into his 200SX. It mated up to the Nissan gearbox with a bit of fettling. The BMW 4.4 V8 is also popular.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah the BMW v8 is winning so far.

I want to avoid f**king about with mating gearboxes to engines they don't belong on tbh.

Had enough grief with the French POS in the garage when it comes to that s**t

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I want something light and not currently rwd lol.

Make my life difficult!

Think v8 in something like a Clio, or mk1 focus or something daft

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Because the Megane is done and I'm not spending any money!

And this would be just a quick and dirty project to keep me busy on the weekend that sounds like a v8

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Think it's the same 4.2 as the e38 mentioned earlier. They seem to be winning so far because they're cheapest lol.

Those 7 series have a v12 too lol

Good idea!

Chip this fella (or any other with a cheapish s6/8 of this age) then look for a b6 s4/c6 a6 v8 manual gearbox?

Might be a pain to do that way but could work out cheaper than a full engine and box

There are no good options.

BMW V8s are fine, but the manual boxes are V8 specific because the v8 sits upright and the I6 inclined so the bellhousing is aligned differently. Good luck finding a V8 box. Adaptors to the common and cheap 6 cyl boxes are available, but then you need a flywheel and clutch to replace the flex plate. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-V8-M6...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Audi V8s are also great, and audi manual boxes fit, which is great if you want a longitudinal mid rear layout, and useless for anything else.

Rover V8s dont make the power and the box of choice is a T5 and the price of those has gone through the roof.

Jag made some decent engines, but sadly all auto only.

Mercedes is the same story

The Lexus 1UZFE is a decent strong engine for buttons, but no manual option. People use the supra box with an off the shelf adaptor, but as a result, the cost of the boxes has gone through the roof.

American stuff is fine, but whereas a 5.3 vortec is ~$1000 and an 6.0 LS is ~$3000 over there, by the time you get them here, thats £3500 and £4000 so you may as well have the larger alloy unit, and then you want to find a T56 box and so on. You wont have it in the car for less than 5k. The older stuff like the SBC is also great and rebuild parts are cheap, but the current exchange rate and import duty means its actually not.

B9 Audi A4 Sport
As said above, E39 540i is the best bet if specifically wanting a manual only. You could also look at the 535i, which is also a V8, but has less power. There seems to be more of them about when i've looked but general consensus dictates that the 540i is the best one to have. Just be prepared to spend a fair bit on the upkeep and maintenance. The engine is, pretty much, bulletproof if looked after properly.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
@Jaff.

a0ee00c29e9db0652d6abe3c2608e037.jpg

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I was going to say it seems a waste to rip that apart Daniel.

I suppose I'm asking a lot to find one that's riddled with rust with a good engine and a manual gearbox lol