ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whats this noise?

clio 182
Hello, ive been looking at clio's 172/182 for the past couple of weeks now mainly as a track car for the summer. Im in no rush so taking my time an im hoping to get a nice bargain. Ive come across a totally standard 172 which has been stood for over a year an ive been offered it for peanuts. Bodywork needs some work an a few niggly issues which doesn't bother me at all really. The seller seems to be very honest an has said the engine sounds a little tappety but he said it drives fine an pulls like it should. He said the noise is there from cold start up and increases with the throttle being pressed. He sent me a video which i have posted below. Please have a look guys an let me know if the engine is dead or im hoping maybe a good service will sort it out. Thanks

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Can't watch the video but a ticking/tapping sound could be the carbon cannister. If it was this, it'd be louder down by the drivers side wheel arch.

Obviously if it's coming from the engine itself it won't be this.

oVerboost.

South West
ClioSport Area Rep
  Clio 182 LY
If it's been sat for a year the first port of call would be fresh fluids and to check all your belts and pulleys regardless of history.

It does sound like a pulley of some kind that's running dry, you may have to get the long screwdriver out and do some stethoscope diagnostics to pin-point the area of the fault.