ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

When classic games begin to fade away.....

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Well, I'm still reinstalling the occasional game on the new i7 system and this weekend, I got around to Battlefield 2142.

As a few people may know from other threads & posts - I really do hold this game in very high regard indeed. It maybe from 2006, but the balance of map design, units and gameplay is just spot on, imo.

Fired it up with all the patches and the Northern Strike add-on applied, and did a search for online servers. The grand total? 57.

I was a little gutted, tbh. The last time I had this installed, there were triple figures (easy) in terms of servers hosting games. I looked through some of the server listings and some were knife-only (idiots) and thankfully only a few had infantry-only set as their preference - another dislike of mine.

I'm a little over 280 hours into it now in terms of recorded online time. I'll hope that the number of servers online enables me to reach a nice, round figure of 300 hours - at which point, I'll probably retire from BF2142 gracefully. Maybe. ;)

It's been an epic game for me - easily pushing aside any other FPS game that I have tried to this very day. It's also in a unique genre, being probably one of the last PC-only FPS titles of worthy note. Not even Crysis can retain that title any more - with the upcoming sequel being made for the consoles too.

I always look forward to the future releases of games. But every now and then a true gem stands out, makes its mark and naturally over time is superseded by other titles. BF2142 is one of those games. If only they made Titan Mode available for single-player - I'd still be playing this game to death! :cool:

D.

Titanium 182
Didn't like it that much, the online mode where you have to fly onto their ship was cool though.

DMS

A thirsty 172
I fired up Unreal Tournament GOTY Edition a few weeks ago and was astounded to find over 400 servers still online.
I immediately proceeded to join an Instagib deathmatch with a load of Norwegians who I'm ashamed to say were much better than I was. Epic game though.

Nippy white cup
I never got 2142 but I played 1942 (and more so desert combat or what ever it was) to death and I thought it was amazing. It used to suck time away at an alarming rate tho!

Chris

DMS

A thirsty 172
Another good one I intend to install and play soon - Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 :cool:

E46 M3
Hell yeah, instagib CTF, your running toward your flag with flashes of orange all around praying you dont get hit :cool: I got it on the PS3 but its just not the same using a pad (I know you can use mouse and keyboard but its a bit hard sitting on a bed!)

I fired up Unreal Tournament GOTY Edition a few weeks ago and was astounded to find over 400 servers still online.
I immediately proceeded to join an Instagib deathmatch with a load of Norwegians who I'm ashamed to say were much better than I was. Epic game though.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Didn't like it that much, the online mode where you have to fly onto their ship was cool though.

That be Titan Mode. The best game mode on it, imo. :)

Im sorry 2142 is rubbish. :(

Wash your bloody mouth out! :rasp:

Tbf, I didn't see what all the fuss was about on its release. I was a BF1942, then BF2 player before it and 2142 just appeared to be a bit chaotic and frustrating at the same time. You got about about 20% of people knowing what they needed to do and the other 80% running around like headless chickens.

I left it and returned a few months later to see that the player base had both wised up and matured enough to make it a worthwhile game to play. From that point I was hooked.

I try every mainstream FPS that's released - on the hope that it has that '2142 factor' that I'm so eagerly craving. At the moment, it's like being addicted to lard and deep fried food and being given a salad instead (albeit a very nice salad indeed. ;))

PMSL! Really? I loved UT - we used to have a quick LAN session here at work before we left on Friday evenings. Obviously, everyone was running a legit copy of UT in the process... ;)

I never got 2142 but I played 1942 (and more so desert combat or what ever it was) to death and I thought it was amazing. It used to suck time away at an alarming rate tho!

Chris

Yep - BF1942 was where it shook up the genre of recent times and set the template for how future FPS's should be, I reckon. Five minutes into that Tobruk demo, I knew 1942 was something really special. Then like you say Chris, Desert Combat just added to that - and for free too!

D.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182

Awesome game, was the second game I started playing online after the original Unreal :) Loving multiplayer 56k gaming back then lol

Goliath I
I see what your saying in regards to classic games.

GTR 2, ive get to find a gamein my opinion which matches its gameplayability. It plays just as well today as it did when it was released a few years back.

A red missile
Another good one I intend to install and play soon - Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 :cool:

Meh, best bit is it installs and runs fawlessly with windows 7, no arseing around with compatibility, cd in, few clicks and before you know it it's 'unit reporting' blasting out of the speakers :) Still a great game after all these years.

Prism tanks FTW!!!!

Meh, best bit is it installs and runs fawlessly with windows 7, no arseing around with compatibility, cd in, few clicks and before you know it it's 'unit reporting' blasting out of the speakers :) Still a great game after all these years.

Prism tanks FTW!!!!

Hell March!