ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Where to go racing

Clio 182
Hi

I'm looking to go racing next year with my clio 182 and looking for some advice on which series is going to be best for me.
Here's my thread for my motor, there's been a bit of work already done to it but I expect I'll need to do a lot more.
http://www.cliosport.net/threads/clio-182-track-car.797222/
So the main factors in the selection of the series to take part in
- cost - as low as possible right now but if there's the ability to spend more down the line and move up to another series that'd be an advange
- location - I'm based in Leeds, so a series more towards the north is better for me
- mechanical skill - my father is good with that side but there's a good chance he'll work away from the UK for long periods and my skill is low (although I'm keen to learn) so better that it involves minimal complex upgrades

The three series I'm aware of (and a little opinion I've got - correct me if I'm wrong) are:
- Tricolore Trophy (seems very high spec and therefore cost, also a lot of races are far down south)
- Tricolore Trophy Production Plus (seems like the most accessible in terms of cost)
- 182 Cup 750 (also seems a good option but I see a few negative posts around quality of racing)

What's peoples thoughts, by all means direct me to posts that cover this already

WRX
Tricolore Prod or Prod Plus or CTCRC Pre 05. The CTCRC one is halfway between the two Tricolore Classes. My car will be for sale very soon and is a front runner/potential winner in Pre 05. Also won in Tricolore Production Class before minor upgrades, could easily be downgraded again in a day.

Clio 182
cheers @Adam G so there's a 4th option which is the CTCRC Pre 05, I'll look in to that. I'm not interested in buying ur car as I have one, but if you have a thread which shows it, I'd be keen to take a look.

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
@David Garthwaite
Hi David
I am going into Tricolore Trophy for the end of this season I can give you an update on that (Production Plus class) which is standard engine but all other mods are free
I have also looked at the possibility of 750 motor club 'hot hatch' it has a much more mix of cars and 3 classes 150bhp per tonne, 200bhp per tonne and 260bhp per tonne

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
What's the series ktek supply the parts.
Was at Donington watching the racing & the clios looked tight.
An awful lot of engine problems at dinner time?

WRX
What's the series ktek supply the parts.
Was at Donington watching the racing & the clios looked tight.
An awful lot of engine problems at dinner time?
That's the 750 MC 182 Championship Steve. They seem to have got a bit more boystrous recently. Rubbin isn't racin but barging through is iirc.

Clio 182
@David Garthwaite
Hi David
I am going into Tricolore Trophy for the end of this season I can give you an update on that (Production Plus class) which is standard engine but all other mods are free
I have also looked at the possibility of 750 motor club 'hot hatch' it has a much more mix of cars and 3 classes 150bhp per tonne, 200bhp per tonne and 260bhp per tonne

Yeah that'd be really helpful thanks, I might go down myself as it's just over 2 hours away but I cant make the 182 finale at rockingham

I looked in to travel times from leeds and the 182 Cup is 10 hours less driving time than the Tri Trophy, which is a lot but I'm not ruling out the Tri Trophy on that, for 3 reasons
- This years calendar has a lot of places I'd love to go and race
- The calendar looks to change yearly so next year they may be more even
- There seems to be more affection for the Tri Trophy on these forums

WRX
Definitely for a good budget friendly race series, good friendly bunch of racers who will help you out. I only moved over to Pre 05 because I could be a front runner with only a little more outlay. It's good that we have these choices. My next progression would have probably been into Prod Plus, back in Tricolore but that would have meant spending perhaps another 2k. Then obviously the car would have been that bit quicker/lighter.

Clio 182
Definitely for a good budget friendly race series, good friendly bunch of racers who will help you out. I only moved over to Pre 05 because I could be a front runner with only a little more outlay. It's good that we have these choices. My next progression would have probably been into Prod Plus, back in Tricolore but that would have meant spending perhaps another 2k. Then obviously the car would have been that bit quicker/lighter.
@Adam G I'm liking the sound of it and have kept the weekend free to go down and see the last race. I looked on their facebook at the last race results and it looked like only one Class E (Production) in the race, is this typical? Although part of it is the race it'd be good to be able to work towards winning something against others at the same level.

bob the builder

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
yep there is 3 sometimes 4 in production class but you also get to battle the prodution plus boys.
also when we have mixed grids we race against mr2 mx5 civcs which certainly increases the fun factor.
class f is production, class e is prodution plus.
which race you looking at coming to?

Clio 182
yep there is 3 sometimes 4 in production class but you also get to battle the prodution plus boys.
also when we have mixed grids we race against mr2 mx5 civcs which certainly increases the fun factor.
class f is production, class e is prodution plus.
which race you looking at coming to?

Malford Park

182cup & 172 racecar
Yes David, anything you need to know, then please ask.
I am the Tricolore Trophy rep.

The good thing with it being a series is, you don't have to do every race, as no points are accumulated. The racing is close but fair, there is the odd little mishap, but overall, damage is fround apon.

182, 205gti mk2 golf
Id recommend the 750 Motor club 182 championship as you have a grid of 20+ Identical cars as all the parts are controlled. Keeps the field close and costs down rather than who has the fastest car :) Everyone is friendly and will help as best they can in my experience.

182cup & 172 racecar
Have you seen the amount of damage that's been cause in the last few races?
I couldn't afford the body panels and reshell.

Clio 182
Yes David, anything you need to know, then please ask.
I am the Tricolore Trophy rep.

The good thing with it being a series is, you don't have to do every race, as no points are accumulated. The racing is close but fair, there is the odd little mishap, but overall, damage is fround apon.
@Tony Hunter
I was down at Mallory last weekend, my phone didnt have data otherwise I'd have seen you were there and come over for a chat, racing looked good though and and I'm now working out what I need to join the 2017 series. I've read the regs and the blue book so think I've got a good idea but I've got questions, hope you can help.

Here's a list of things I think I need and potential costs
In date driver seat - ~ £200
Harness, thinking 6 point - ~£130
Racing Helmet - ~£170
Race suit - ~£300
(I have some gloves and boots, dont think these need to be to a standard?)
I had a chat with someone who told me that I need a HANS device, but can't find it mentioned in the regs, can you advise?
External cut off switch, not sure on price but can't see it being that much
Rear high vis light
Fire Extingusher - ~£??
I need some new tyres for the dry, whats the best to go for?

I'm currently on coil overs, I think I need to switch back to the original?
My battery is currently in the back of the car, so think I need to put some kind of Leak proof container around it.

Finally the class rules confuse me a little, reading through the rules they make sense until I get to rules 17 for production plus (Which I think is closest to my car?) which says "Allowed all mods as per class A save for limits on engines see 8" but I cant see any rules that are specific for Class A on the page (link below), can you clear it up?
http://www.trackattackraceclub.com/downloads/regulations/2016-tricoloretrophy-technical.pdf

Again, thanks for your help

WRX
David I can answer those for you...
Seat doesn't have to be "In date" for just UK MSA events, only if an FIA event which you'll only really get abroad.
Helmet has to be Snell approved with Hans posts as you do need a HANS device as per blue book. So that is really £400 + for both together.
Gloves and boots do have to be to 8856-2000 Spec so proper racewear.
External cutoff is from about £15
Standard fogs are acceptable for your rain light.
Fire extinguisher is from about £120
Dunlop DZ03G is the popular dry choice tyre
Production plus can use coilivers, production cannot. Engines in prod or prod plus have to be standard apart from air filter and exhaust. If battery is inside then has to be boxed yes.