ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Xenon washers failed MOT?

Hey guys, doing a search now, but not returned much so far!

I haven't seen any cars recently fail on this, and as far as I'm aware they didn't need to be physically working just there (maybe this a new thing I don't know?)

Anyway - both my Nearside and Offside headlamp washers failed due to being "inoperative" - any guidance as how to fix it? :)

It's the only thing (apart from me forgetting to change my number plate back), much appreciated!

There fails are written as:

002 Nearside Headlamp cleaning device inoperative [1.7.2]
003 Offside Headlamp cleaning device inoperative [1.7.2]

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Opposite mate, if they are there, they NEED to work, if they don't just blank them off they cannot be tested.
Personally I don't get it I thought all Xenons had to have washers and would fail if not but hey.

does the pump work? if it's working then just remove and flush the pipes out, if they are not making the usual noise then may need new ones.

Not to slate anyone but they were checked properly, like lights on to manual and then engaged?

Hmm - but is it also the case that if you have Xenons you HAVE to have the washers, or as you say above can I blank them? They said I have up to a week to fix it, but the MOT runs out on the 20th so need to sort it asap!

iirc the washer blanks are expensive aren't they?

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Hmm - but is it also the case that if you have Xenons you HAVE to have the washers, or as you say above can I blank them? They said I have up to a week to fix it, but the MOT runs out on the 20th so need to sort it asap!

iirc the washer blanks are expensive aren't they?

People on here have said to have blanked them and passed, guess it depends on the station they go to.

One story I read on here they just taped it off flush with the bumper and passed, seeing as you get free re-tests just try and wing it with that and sort it later.

People on here have said to have blanked them and passed, guess it depends on the station they go to.

One story I read on here they just taped it off flush with the bumper and passed, seeing as you get free re-tests just try and wing it with that and sort it later.

Tbh I doubt i'll get away with it as it's failed on it, especially as it's a Renault garage!

I'll go have a look outside and see if I can see anything, had a quick search on the forum and don't see much apart from changing the motors out!

Ok right just did a test - filled up the washer bottle with just water for now, held on the wipers for a while. the Offside started just kinda slowly coming out but just in a drizzle, nothing on the Nearside.

However, after stopping the wipers, its continuing to spew out of the offside one - does that sound like a bust valve/pump ?

PB Clio 172
its very rare I would say to fail an MOT for that, bit petty

mine has passed 2 years running and my washers don't work

jakeg

ClioSport Club Member
  Rs Clio 172
Mine failed its mot 2 weeks ago for headlight washers not working, replaced motor and it working (connectors were a little bent so took some forcing)

jakeg

ClioSport Club Member
  Rs Clio 172
Yes just 1, and separate motor for windscreen washer, £12 sounds about right, there not expensive

Just took a look now, managed to get to the pipes through the archliner, the Offside is just continually pissing, so I'll get a one-way valve for that - any idea which one it is from Halfords? I saw an old post but the link just goes to Halfords homepage now.

I also disconnected the nearside, and put the wipers on again - nothing was coming out at all - there is water in there but it's not moving - so I presume it's definitely a faulty pump!

Mine passed but was told that they should have washers, but because they are not there to test he won't fail it.

Matt why have you took it to renault for an mot??? Stuff that.

Mine passed but was told that they should have washers, but because they are not there to test he won't fail it.

Matt why have you took it to renault for an mot??? Stuff that.

Just always have, now im not sure what to do =D

I presume if I took it elsewhere it would show these items up and they'd just do the same thing?

megane 285 sport
Stupid question but not many people know, but have you turned the headlights on when testing them, has they only work when the headlights are on.

Sorry for another bump - now onto the quest to buy a replacement motor - definitely not working - I saw somewhere there was a Laguna replacement on euro car parts or somewhere, is that the correct one?

From what I gather the difference between them is how they connect to the washer bottle (one connector being rounded and the other one square)?

Gonna get it all out tomorrow, and I'll hopefully replace it at the same time! Going to look now, but any links much appreciated!

Small update - may be of interest to others:

Rang up this morning and asked if I removed the headlight washers, will it pass, as if they're not there they cannot be checked - they said yes though it was a bit of a grey area (Renault Worcester).

So hey presto, 1 hour later after removing them, fresh MOT.

​Now to fix it properly, in my own time.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, if they're not there, it'll pass. Mainly due to the legacy thing where you have cars which came as standard without washers/levelling. Testers can't be reasonably expected to know an exact list of every car which fits that so they are told to only fail if they are present but not operational.