ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Xenons again

182 ff
a few weeks ago i posted saying one of the xenons had gone out

although booked in for a service next month id like to get to the bottom of this fault before i go in there eg time and money etc

now i have noticed when the car is very cold the light will come on and stay on only if i turn the engine off and back on again after the car ha warmed up it wont come on

i was thinking maybe the element or something is shorting out once it hits a certain temp

any ideas people

mark

RB 200 Cup!
sounds very strange - im sure someone can shed some light (lol)on this before reno charge the earth to find the fault

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R
Yeah mine did the same... intermitten fault turned out to be the ballast unit.

Changed HID bulb to no avail so swapped the ballast and it worked!!!.. £270 though!!!...

Chris

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
if i turn mine off then on again quickly only one comes on. have to leave it off for 15 mis or so

182 ff
so no easy way of fixing this i mean when a ballast goes on a floursecent fitting all we do is change it lol piece of piss

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R
so no easy way of fixing this i mean when a ballast goes on a floursecent fitting all we do is change it lol piece of piss

I changed my bulb originally, tried it and blew a fuse. I tracked the problem down to the headlight unit (whole thing), got a new one £200 ish from Renault, changed that still nothing so by rule of elimination it had to be the ballast however my headlight unit was corroded and in a bad way as it had been leaking so needed a new one anyway...

All in all I spent about £500 just on a f*****g light!!!.... couldnt find one anywhere on e-bay or scrappy's..

But by the sounds of it yours is the ballast!.... you might have another few months with it but it will eventually pack in!!..

Easy enough to change once you have removed the bumper!...

Chris

MINI Cooper S
It will be the ballast unit that is faulty... when the lamps get hot, the resistance of the lamp increases, because the resistance increases you need a higher voltage to strike the arc that creates the light, some ballasts go faulty and cant create the high voltages needed to strike up a warm lamp.

Clio Sport 182
had this happen on mine, check the rubber cover is on tight on the light cluster, ther was water in myn n it made it go out n now iv put the rubber back on tightly and its fine