ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Xenons blowing both fuses, help?

So my drivers Xenon had never worked and it's Mot time, thought it must be the bulb, nope, ignigter nope, so must be the ballast, so changed them around and on turning the lights on its blows both headlight fuses. Put new fuses in and changed around the ballasts as they where and the passenger Xenon works as it did.

Done it again and switched the ballasts around and it blew both fuses again.

Surely its a dodgy ballast? What gets me is why when swapping them does it blow?

Also can some confirm that standard mk2 Clio halogen headlights fit the 182 as I might just go the scrappy and get a pair...

Thanks in advance.

PH2 172
Cheers mate, is there any difference between black and grey inserts with the Xenons?
172 (Black) bulb held in place by spring clip,182 (Grey) by a twist in ring.
The thought occurs that you have a bulb that is a direct short AND a faulty ballast.

The connectors are the same.

You know what I didn't do stupidly was just plug the working passenger headlight into the drivers side. If it doesn't work then I'd know it's something to do with the loom to the headlight, saying that surely the indicator and side light wouldn't work if it was the loom? Gotta be the ballast!

PH2 172
You know what I didn't do stupidly was just plug the working passenger headlight into the drivers side. If it doesn't work then I'd know it's something to do with the loom to the headlight, saying that surely the indicator and side light wouldn't work if it was the loom? Gotta be the ballast!

Loom has to ok as fuses only blow when components changed, unless you can spot a flaw in this reasoning.
A little alarm bell says that left & right plugs are handed, but that may be a distant memory from another vehicle.
Give it a go.