ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Yet another tyre thread.

03 clio 172
Right I know this keeps getting asked and I have searched but the the answer is not that clear. Im after 4 new tyres for the 172 and I have narrowed it down to 4 different tyres. Out of the 4 listed below what is the opinion on them.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Continental/Sport-Contact-3.htm

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Uniroyal/Rainsport-2.htm

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Vredestein/Sportrac-3.htm

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Michelin/Pilot-Exalto.htm

Oh and my tyre size is 195/45 R16

From the tyres I want both excellent dry grip and good wet grip. I have cheap crap on there at the moment and all they want to do is try and kill me when its wet :mad:

If anyone has any other suggestions and why that wouls be appreciated.

Cheers Mat

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Can't bilieve you haven't found the answer with a search, there was a massive thread with a poll, did you find that?

The Mich Exaltos would probably be best, but are the most expensive,

03 clio 172
Yeah looked at that but 3 of the above tyres are not listed and wanted to know what people thought of them. I know the exaltos are very good but as you said they are expensive.

Hankook Ventus V12 Evos ;) Go onto black circles and there £335 for 4 including delivery with the Cliosport discount. There 205/45/16 though but perform really well in dry/wet conditions and have pretty strong sidewalls so they feel well planted when driving enthusiatically.

Another +1 For the Hankook V12 Evo's,

Warren reccomended them for me in my thread and im glad he did ! in the wet they are good, Im just too scared to see how good. But in the dry ! i can corner very will on standard suspesnsion and the grip is very good.

RS mk2 172
Believe it or not I found Quick fit the cheapest for Exaltos as I got 2 fitted for £200 on 205/45/16. Check their site for 4 as they are doing special on them.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Not bad tyres, but wore out pretty quickly. In the Hankook as a comparison, i've done a 1000 miles so far and they haven't even been touched and when you drive hard they feel more planted than the previous 195/45/16 GSD3's I had.

I've had my Goodyears on for couple of months now and they dint look like they have worn at all yet.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
No no no. Don't get rs2's for daily use. They don't cope with standing water. V12 hankook's for a daily car, rs2'for track. And you can't get rs2 from camskill at the moment.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

They are like hens teeth to get hold of unfortunately. I waited months for them and as my fronts had got to sub-legal levels, I had to change to something else.

I picked Dunlop SP Sport Maxx's and I have to say, they have been brilliant. Not the cheapest, but I'd certainly consider getting another set of them when needed.

D.

No no no. Don't get rs2's for daily use. They don't cope with standing water. V12 hankook's for a daily car, rs2'for track. And you can't get rs2 from camskill at the moment.

YES YES YES sorry but I have been driving these everyday and I choose to disagree with you they are fine.

You've hardly driven with yours on so please stop telling me my tyres cannot cope with standing water.

Unless where you live is made up of lakes your misinformed about this.

:)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Plenty agree Matt. I do lots of miles, I've already covered 900 miles in poor weather on them. The aquaplane at far lower speeds than road tyres. They are a track tyre, it's unreasonable to expect otherwise. Just looking at the tyre compared to a normal road tyre will show you that they aren't going to disperse standing water as well. But then you like parada's, ergo, opinion void;).

Plenty agree Matt. I do lots of miles, I've already covered 900 miles in poor weather on them. The aquaplane at far lower speeds than road tyres. They are a track tyre, it's unreasonable to expect otherwise. Just looking at the tyre compared to a normal road tyre will show you that they aren't going to disperse standing water as well. But then you like parada's, ergo, opinion void;).

Sorry but you can't tell me what tyres are right for me your just expressing an opinion as am I and mine is that there fine for everyday use.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
YES YES YES sorry but I have been driving these everyday and I choose to disagree with you they are fine.

You've hardly driven with yours on so please stop telling me my tyres cannot cope with standing water.

Unless where you live is made up of lakes your misinformed about this.

Did you have these on for the Goodwood to Bracknell run? If so they're definitely good enough in the wet.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Sorry but you can't tell me what tyres are right for me your just expressing an opinion as am I and mine is that there fine for everyday use.

I agree completely, if you look above, you made an issue of my opinion, not the otherway around. My initial post was for the OP.
To the OP, the only place that has RS2's readily available is mytyres, but they are overpriced compared to camskill.

2008 Clio 1.4 Dynamique
To the OP, I have Continental SportContact 2 tyres and find them excellent. They have very good performance in both wet and dry conditions and handle standing water quite well, even at motorway speeds. They probably dont offer quite the same level of grip as the SC3 but they are very good. Im sure you know that the SC3 is standard fit on the 197!

As for the others, I wouldnt touch another Vredestein tyre again after the muck that I put on my old Mk1 Megane back in the day. Absolutely terrible tyres, poor grip, even in the dry, could feel the treadblocks move even in a 1.6 Megane saloon. And the sidewalls were ridiculously soft.

For my money it would be either the contis or the Michelins.