ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

You can repair your electronic window mechanism.

Nicolasticity

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172+MG+SAAB++
Since I coughed up over a £100 for a genuine window mechanism some 4 years ago it failed. Having had a review of forums I decided to repair it and I also now understand what made it fail in the first place.

The mechanism has a motor, gearbox, spool for the wires, tensioners, two cables a metal bar with a carrier that locates to the window and two pawls that guide the wire onto the bar and have two rubber end stops to limit window movemen and allow the wires to tense and provide a soft stop. At the end of the wire are two pieces that locate in the carrier.

Normally failure is caused by excessive tension and a pawl snaps, wire gets caught and the widow locks or drops.

My top pawl burst. Reason is that at Renault the part got knocked and the lie of the metalbar was affected and the window was stiff as a result.

First pic shows the bits fixed. I discovered that the pawls have enough material to clue them back on. Its also possible to bolt them but stay clear of the cable and ensure that the window carrier can run to the buffers. I used epoxy glue to put the pawl back (3rd 4th pics). When the cables are connected you have to remove the tensioners at the motor end but ensure that the top wire is long enough when you slot them back so the outer cable is not too tight.

When I fitted it I removed the bar from the door and could see that because the bar has been distorted the window rubbed up against the top pawl whic I dressed back.

Now it all works fine - Ive saved £50 for a pattern part and all is well.

Attachments

• Clio win 006.jpg
    Clio win 006.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 75
  • Clio win 002.jpg
    Clio win 002.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 81
  • Clio win 007.jpg
    Clio win 007.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 70
  • Clio win 005.jpg
    Clio win 005.jpg