ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

16V to Williams, Worth it

190 BHP Willy 2

Has anybody made the move to williams from a 16v, and is it really worthwhile for what is essentially the same car?

Cheers.

Polo GTi

I did big difference, lot more presence on the road, the 16v is good on corners but the Willy is better, and a noticable difference in power I reckon, not massive, but definatly noticable.

Id say if you can get a good one go for it, if you can afford it.

Best thing to do is test drive one properly, I reckon you wont want to go back once you have.

TT 225

Quote: Originally posted by big hp on 31 August 2004

for what is essentially the same car?

If you have driven a Williams and still think its the same car, then no - dont waste your cash on one, let someone else who knows what they are buying have it.

190 BHP Willy 2

I know the differances between the cars Kelly, its not that. Its just looking at the same dash board, and the day to day driving is similar. Ive had my 16v for 3 1/2yrs now and I like the willies but am not sure if theres enough of a differance to keep me happy. I seem to have a fast 16v and have raced 2/3 willies round my way and have kept up with them. This is what makes me wonder if its a worthwhile change. Moneys not a issue as I can afford to buy a mint williams 2/3 which is what I would go for given a choice.

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

I have been thinking the same thing big hp. I was infact going to buy one of the willys in the for sale forum on the wkend, however i have done a lot of work to the 16v already and know its pretty much perfect and has new uprated parts (suspension/brakes/etc.) which would be an added cost to a new williams.

In terms of similarity between the 16v and williams....YES they are similar.

I raced one round brands and with my uprated suspension and keeping in it in the high revs, i managed to keep with it quite happily, infact there was little difference. Standard V Standard the willy would be faster full stop. In a straight line 0-120mph there is also very little difference, proved on many accasions against my good out of the box 16v engine.

However saying all this, if you are going to modify your engine, then you might as well go for a willy engine as a starting block due to the slightly higher bhp, this is what im doing in the next couple of months...... i hope to god it will be slightly faster than my current 1.816v or i will ba a very unhappy bunny lol

But a williams is a williams, and most people buy one cos they are a limited classic.

190 BHP Willy 2

I agree, with the williams you get the status of classic all round hot hatch.

Im of the same thinking as you aaronc. If I was to get a williams id hope it was as fast, as mine seems to be a fairly quick 16v also. On a performance meter I got a 0-60 time 0f 7.6 cant remember what the 1/4 was of the top of my head.

I was thinking about dropping a 2.0 lump in my 16v but I havnt got uprated suspension etc so buying a williams would offer the wider track etc saving me all the extra costs. Plus with the price of willies at the moment ,by the time youve got all the bits you might as well buy one.

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

Yes the wider track is a bonus but unless your on the limit i cant believe it makes much or any difference at all. And yes the price of willys does make you think you might as well get a williams instead of buying a 2 ltr willy lump.

My 16v engine achieved a 7.3seconds to 60mph (timed professional in 30degrees heat) and done a 15.6s 1/4 mile, so is a williams engine with decat gonna beat these sorta times? ............ if it doesnt i would be sorta unhappy as it should be faster being a 2ltr with all that extra torque.

Rob I agree with what your saying but wasnt the valver you owned a poor one, or am I thinking of someone else?

I think if you get a valver that it a good and fast one and a not so good willy that isnt really up to scratch then there is not loads of difference. I think the main things you notice with the willys is the low down torque, they pull so well from anywhere in the rev range, so in the speeds higher up the gears they are a lot faster. Where as the 0-60 of the 2 is very similar if not hundreds of a second in it.

Ive had a few comparrison tests with different kinds of willys, 1s, 2s and 3s, in all different kinds of conditions, from fairly standard to highly tuned. In my personal opinion Id say a good valver vs a good willy then the difference is noticiable but not like from a valver to say a completely different car because in essence they are the same car, the williams was based on the valver!

However, I think to own a williams is more of a status as aaronc saids they were limited and so become even more appreciated!

If I were you I would possibly move onto another car, experience that for a while and maybe go back to the williams after, as I know its a car one day I want to own, just to see the major differences for myself and say Ive owned one!

Danny

williams and trophy

if ur valver is staying with williams mate its got a 2.0 in already.....no bones about it........unles the willy were poorly driven

a good willy will leave a valver, even if it is a good un..over a second to hundred from standstill.....mite not sound a lot..but wen u the 1 thats a second behind its a fukkin load

on th bends there isnt that much difrence.....but u cant really compare std vs tweaked.......tweak the willy susp same as a valver then the gap becomes larger again........

all in all the wilno problemsly really IS that much more car whether it be in a straight line, on the corners, round atrack, top speed.......a gud un will eat a good valver in all above comparisons.........no problems

Polo GTi

Yeah Danny mine was a bad un, untill I had the engine rebuilt and a new bottom end, so it went a lot better but I still reckon the difference in noticeable.

You got a better start on me at York sunday, but I still managed to reel you in and pass you, not by much I agree.

m8, id say its defo worthwhile!

Unfortunately i cant comment on engine differences given that ive never really driven a williams but when i had the wider track fitted to my car it made it fee totally different...far superior. I can only imagine the other uprated components the willy has over a 16v will increase this feel and ultimately performance. In short, go for it!

Quote: Originally posted by aaronc on 31 August 2004

Yes the wider track is a bonus but unless your on the limit i cant believe it makes much or any difference at all.
It does IMO, the wider track makes a more stable car, regardless of whether youre on the limit or cruising down a country lane.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

So would a chipped, filtered, and exhausted valver be about standard willy pace in a straight line?

I can agree with that Rob, that proves even though I had a better start you did pull all that way back, that just proves my fact about how much more torque they seem to have, as you get into 3rd and 4th you really notice the difference!

And like everyone says because of the wider track they do feel a lot more stable round the bends, think thats why martins pushed it slightly past the limit a couple of times but still managed to regain it, they seem to be very forgiving!

Danny

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Look at it this way, it might not be hugely faster than a valver but it has 85% of all its power at 2,500 rpms.

The valver is a chore to drive as you HAVE to keep it around the 4k mark to keep it quick.

Obviously a different car but my MR2 makes aprox 137bhp at below 2,000 rpms and fcuk me does it feel better when you can pull away at such a low rpm band.

Should imagine the Williams has the same benefits compared to the Valver.

I own a Valver as well at present so I know!

Quote: Originally posted by Tom16v on 31 August 2004

So would a chipped, filtered, and exhausted valver be about standard willy pace in a straight line?
prolly be similar from standing, but the 2.0 generates a lot more low down torque, so day to day driving and accelerating in gear the Williams will munch it IMO.

Massey6465 & saxo1.1

Ive owned both(valver a few years ago now though)My 16v had chip,boost valve de-cat+full exhaust and filter and it made 147bhp when rolling roaded.Was quicker than standard but still not as quick as my current willy imo.Maybe downhill there wouldent be much init,but anything uphill the difference would be considerable,the pick up is sooo much different and the 2.0 doesent need to be screamed 2 7k.But for me the williams aint about that.People are allways making comments bout it and want a look/spin in it.Good investment 2!