ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 = Rubbish

190 BHP Willy 2

I went out and test drove a 182 this morning and from all the hype banded about them, I have to say I was totally disappointed. My Valver is so much better to drive. Driving position is all wrong, seemed sluggish etc etc. I wont be ordering one. Going to have a look at the new golf gti and civic type r again. IMHO these are far superior in the short test drives I had in them. Unless the clio comes with rose tinted glasses there wont be one on my driveway.

The renault wont shine on a short test drive.

You need to take it on some country roads and give it death. Youll then see its a lot better handling than the Bread Van and the GTI.

The Jinx

New Golf will set you back a small fortune though. By the time its specced you could have a brand new V6 255.

And the CTR aint all that, youd be better off in an ITR.

190 BHP Willy 2

Gti and Type R will hold there money unlike a clio. only got to look at how the arse has fallen out of the 172 market. Next year that will happen to 182s as well.

Drove a few 172s and the only one I liked was the mk1.

The Jinx

Will golfs really hold their value? Theyre going to flood the market with them as company cars so I cant see they will hold up that well TBH. And they really do cost about £25k when specced.

dk

911 GTS Cab

thats a fair enough point, not everyone can like them, just like if I drove a valver I would probably hate it.

The fact that you are in the minority means that you either drove a bad one or had a really bad test drive or that you like your older cars too much and maybe arent suited to the best hot hatch on sale today.

Good luck with your search.

LY 200

I quite like the Type R but i think id prefer the 182 after seeing one close up the other day!!!

Why would a 172 be different to a 182 tho???

Why did you prefer the mk1 172 out of all 3 bar the fact theyre alot cheaper???

yeh remeber that you can get a new clio for 11k, the golf is 20k and the bread van is 16k, and alot more if you want aircon, they therfore should be alot better than the clio (unfortunately in my opinion there not):)

Ive owned a few cars including a valver and my 172 mk2 is miles better i cant see how a standard 182 cant be a better car. I know where i would rather be sat. But like lee said we would all be boring if we liked the same things.

The Jinx

Theyre easily mistaken for a Be-Bop or the like, so you couldve accidentally driven the 1.2.

Trouble these days is they dont distinguish the hot ones as much by putting on cheesy but cool additions like wildly flared arched front AND back and bonnet vents etc.;)

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by KDF on 21 January 2005
Personally I find the doors on williams clios easier to open James.

Provided the hinges still have some solid bodywork to attach to. :p

190 BHP Willy 2

Quote: Originally posted by James on 21 January 2005

Did you manage to get the door of the 182 open ;)
Just managed it. LOL

The clio i test drove had 2k miles and the lad with me was egging me on, he then had to ask me to slow down. Seemed quick but not as fast as I expected, not for 182 bhp anyway. Was just disappointed all round really.

The mk1 172 seemed a lot rawer if you know what I mean.

11k 16k 20k what does it matter, i can afford a speced up golf so price doesnt bother me. And GTIs have always held there price. Plus the golf has got plenty of power in there to be extracted and quite easily.

Another thing that puts me off is all the problems people are having with them. There also very soon to be replaced with a new model so the prices will drop. Plus around Aylesbury 172/182s are all over the place.

VW Potato

i have a test drive with the new Golf GTi next weekend. It should help to put the Clio (which I like a lot) into perspective and indeed to see whether the new Golf is as good as they say it is. Comments to follow after the test drive.

g

190 BHP Willy 2

Quote: Originally posted by James on 21 January 2005

I have a similar problem here in Essex. Bits of williams all over the place.
LOL I dont have a williams :confused:

You say that but there was a 182 in for a new tailgate at the dealers. There was rust on the tailgate, like little pin pricks all over it.

James,

Mine was a real test drive. What you saying?

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by Scudetto on 21 January 2005
i have a test drive with the new Golf GTi next weekend. It should help to put the Clio (which I like a lot) into perspective and indeed to see whether the new Golf is as good as they say it is. Comments to follow after the test drive.g

Will be interesting to hear what you think. I really like the look of it and its being well received. Pity I couldnt afford one in the spec Id want.

Quote: Originally posted by big hp on 21 January 2005

Plus around Aylesbury 172/182s are all over the place.

In 6 months the new golf GTI is going to be a common as!

Dont get me wrong the new golf GTI is a cracking car, it just annoys me how you can give a blunt statement of 182 = rubbish. Everyone elso on this forum would disagree, so does every car magazine - i seem to remember the quote best hot hatch ever being mentioned more than once!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

They do indeed look like a nice car now, but for me its the cost issue, I just couldnt justify spending 20K on it. Way overpriced.

The Jinx

Different strokes for different folks eh?

From what Ive read the Clio would still be the best for old skool driving ethic, but the leaon/Golf etc are a different beast.

Clio v6

Without wanting to encourage going off topic, I must admit I like the look of those new blue jelly babies.

Quote: Originally posted by big hp on 21 January 2005Quote: Originally posted by James on 21 January 2005 I have a similar problem here in Essex. Bits of williams all over the place.

LOL I dont have a williams :confused:You say that but there was a 182 in for a new tailgate at the dealers. There was rust on the tailgate, like little pin pricks all over it.James,Mine was a real test drive. What you saying?

that is fallout not actual panel corrosion, happens on alot of new cars, it will be iron filings from a nearby railway line wherre the car has been stored either at the dealer or possibly when imported over. easily sorted with a clay bar. we used to have the same with BMWs where i used to work.

that is fallout not actual panel corrosion, happens on alot of new cars, it will be iron filings from a nearby railway line wherre the car has been stored either at the dealer or possibly when imported over. easily sorted with a clay bar. we used to have the same with BMWs where i used to work.

golf and CTR are not only the next class up in terms of size but aslo considerably more expensive. you might as well say "i went for a drive in the new c2 vtr it was sh*t i can afford a 182 and im going to get one of them becasue i can afford it and its alot better". Ive driven the CTR loads of time as my dad has one IMO they are both very capable cars but they deliver similar performance in very different ways and in a very different package. My renault 5 turbo was a great laugh and felt faster than my 172 when i 1st bought it but this was mainly due to the seat being lower the flimsy build and it being alot noisier when hammered, the 172 was faster and handled better even though the 5 felt more go-kart like. how do i know ? i sold the 5 to a mate and we put both cars against each other numerous times to compare. Everyone will like different things but to dismiss it as rubbish when it has received so many good reviews is a little harsh its just a case that YOU personally dont like it.

u cant sl*g off the 182 here, thats sacrilege.

youre obviously a racist against all things french, cant think of any other reason for not liking it

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Seconded(loonys post), it is of course obvious that you dont like 182s dont know why people are getting so annoyed. Are you really not going to sleep tonight beacuse someone said they were rubbish? Of course not.

Nice thread, very well done im sure many more people will rush and bite.

Ahh good old cs dunno why people say its changed.

Vee dub

I was in the 182 (cup packs) that my friend test drove last week.

He didnt really give it much stick, but it felt quick. I defo agree with the driving position comment, I totally prefer the valver to be in, feels a bit more raw if that makes sense. But all the reviews the 182 have been getting, it must be good!

But not for everyone eh....

Tom

VW Potato

Indeed, the Golf is pricey. But it is well specced and kit-wise it has all that I need. Id like the leather, but Im not paying £1,600 notes for it. The Xenon lights (£700) are just not worth it IMHO, based on experience with the renos lights, the sat nav i dont need (i never go anywhere), the bigger wheels will trash the ride, the six stack CD Ive never used in the reno and that came for free so Im not paying more for it as an option. Id like to try the DSG gear box, but would like to see it prove itself over time first. The other options are neither here nor there for me.

Red GTi, standard, 3dr, out of the box. Thatll do me. :)

g

LY 200

Lol

The guy only said he test drove one and thought it was cack!!!

I cant see it imo but id like to test drive one myself to find out!!!