ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

33.5 MPG... can’t be right!!

Been to Birmingham today so filled up with petrol before i went. Did a round trip of 320 miles and it used a whole tank of petrol!!! the whole journey was on the motorway doing 70-100 mph so u would think fuel consumption would be good...... i only have a 1.4 16v Alize.

What do u guys get out of ur 1.4 16v engines, as ive worked my MPG to be 33.5mpg, and thats on the motorway!! cant be right surely!

any help appreciated!

:eek: is that standard cos i havent modded my engine at all!! just think it should be more as Reno say it should be 43mpg!!

Quote: Originally posted by Milf Hunter on 16 April 2004

i didnt know a little 1.4 would go that fast !
oi !! i got 120mph out of it actually!!!!! most of the journey was a steady 80mph tho, which is why im baffled by my MPG. :confused:

*UPDATE* i forgot to say, there were 4 of us in the car... but still.... should be better than 33.5mpg surely!?

Quote: Originally posted by telford_mike on 16 April 2004

I would get better than that. Dirty air filter?
dunno the first thing about engines so i really wouldnt know. Would appreciate any help and suggestions as to what is causing the lack of miles

E36 323i coupe

I get an average of 43-46mpg on the motorway at a steady 70-80mph in the Cup (I do have an Ecotek and it did do less before - but even then it was around 39mpg).

33.5mpg does seem a little sh*te for a 1.4. No idea why... unless you had a heavy foot a little more often than you think. I mean, in the Cup when you go over 100mph you can watch the fuel guage dropping, and it was even worse in the 1.2 I had before.

count yourself lucky. I get 28.2mpg. Anyone would have thought that i have a v6 or summat. Yeah, ive been upto 126mph on the speedo and not hit the limiter, so god knows what its actual top speed is.

i think that it really shocking!!! how can it be that low!!? (im referring to the mpg not the speed!! ;))

i really think the little 1.4 16v engines are better than most people think!

so getting 320 miles out of a tank is good then!?

maybe at speed, but not on the good old mpg. when you go over, 120 the car seems to become unstable. yes they are faster than what people think but is nothing compared to an rs 2.0 or williams.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

It depends how often you are accelerating. If you stay at a steady 80 youll use a lot less than going 70-100 for a whole journey. I usually have to fill up not too long after 300 miles and thats a lot of mixed journeys.

Quote: Originally posted by fUbAr on 16 April 2004

*UPDATE* i forgot to say, there were 4 of us in the car... but still.... should be better than 33.5mpg surely!?
ok i drive from bournemouth to torquay reg thats 110miles roughly.

last trip i was carying 4 alloys in the back and i noticed big different in mpg, coz normally the only wait my lil 1.4 carries is me.

ok peeps... that makes me feel a lot better!! :) at least its not just mine then!

KingJimBob... im from Christchurch!! describe ur car and ill keep an eye out, u got a sticker?

Peddled device

Easy one this....

More weight = more fuel

More speed = more fuel

more weight and more speed = lots more fuel

If you want good MPG stick to around 60mph on a run regardless of weight.Dont have the windows open/air-con on/blower on full/heated rear screen on....etc etc.Simple equation to look at.....

Draw power from battery means battery draws power from the engine means engine uses more fuel.

d/b>d/e>d/mpg=£££

No such thing as free energy. But the fun factor makes up for it;)

erm... think i got all that :confused:

lol, cheers fella... (mental note to self..... slow down, kick my mates out the car, freeze my knackers off, drive like a granny) ;)

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro

my 1.4 16v is only 1800miles old, and i noticed a considerable drop in mpg wen i put the filter on. contrary to popular belief the 1.4 is quite a little runner! im not saying that 172 owners shud beware, but its a completely diff car to the 1.2 16v.. differences being heavier steering/clutch, firmer suspension, MUCH longer throw 2nd gear. i had a 1.2 16v for the evening b4 i got my 1.4 and i kept saying this is fine, id b happy with this... but wen i got in the 1.4, after crunching the gearbox a few times in 2nd gear, i thought, actually no, this is quite a bit quicker! 1.6 wud have been good but ins group is so much higher :(

ANYWAY, yeh my fuel consumtion is wack, mainly bcoz of the k&n and coz i rag it alot of the time just to hear it! i usually get about 70miles on £10/13litres!!!!

Quote: Originally posted by fUbAr on 16 April 2004

ok peeps... that makes me feel a lot better!! :) at least its not just mine then!

KingJimBob... im from Christchurch!! describe ur car and ill keep an eye out, u got a sticker?
i think ive told ya before mate :cool:

5 door, crystal green/silver (not sure colour) mark 1 phase 1 1.4RT, 15" wheels, lowered 30/40 mm. other than that pretty much standard for now. awiting sticker in post :D

Quote: Originally posted by S2 PTH on 17 April 2004

my 1.4 16v is only 1800miles old, and i noticed a considerable drop in mpg wen i put the filter on. contrary to popular belief the 1.4 is quite a little runner! im not saying that 172 owners shud beware, but its a completely diff car to the 1.2 16v.. differences being heavier steering/clutch, firmer suspension, MUCH longer throw 2nd gear. i had a 1.2 16v for the evening b4 i got my 1.4 and i kept saying this is fine, id b happy with this... but wen i got in the 1.4, after crunching the gearbox a few times in 2nd gear, i thought, actually no, this is quite a bit quicker! 1.6 wud have been good but ins group is so much higher :(

ANYWAY, yeh my fuel consumtion is wack, mainly bcoz of the k&n and coz i rag it alot of the time just to hear it! i usually get about 70miles on £10/13litres!!!!
Yes, the second gear is something like 60mph which can help in a race! yeah the steering is f**king heavy! esp when your ragging it and vairable power steering makes it worse. Nice to know other peoples it like that. One worrying thing tho is when you go over 120mph and brake - it slides to the side a bit.

Depends..

In my 1.2 8v I got an average of 36mpg.. mixed driving.. thrashing quite a bit.

Williams, I can get anywhere between 25mpg - 36mpg average. I got 32mpg driving roughly the same as my 1.2 where I got 36mpg..

Its hard to compare.. my 1.2 8v needs to be thrashed to get anywhere really.. whereas the Williams doesnt. In my 1.2, I find my foot was on the floor quite a bit.. which isnt good for fuel.

33.5mpg seems ok.. if you are going between 70 - 100.. then Im guessing you give it odd blasts.. its the accelerating which drinks it!

172, Tiguan

4 people in the car at a steady average of say 85 mph would be working the thing quite hard, 33.5 sounds about right for the situation.

BTW my 1.4 16v i had did !26 (indicated) on the limiter in top.

33.5 is actually pretty good for the 1.4 16v with 4 people in it - I struggled to get 33 with only 1 person in mine.

The best I ever had from mine was 38mpg when I was driving about like a nun, usually averaged about 29 and would drop to low 20s when driven hard.

The 1.4 16v are really bad for using fuel - would be better off with a 2.0!

blimey, and theres me thinking mine was bad...! yeah theyre certainly not bad angines the little 1.4 16vs. I would get a 172/182 but cant afford the cost of the car :(

so for now, ill happily be doin !20mph in my alize :D

Mazda MX5 1.8

my 1.6 does about that doing 100 - we need a 6 gear gearbox!

its annoying cos doing 60-75odd will do loads more mpg but its sooooooooooo slow and boring

Quote: Originally posted by clio__chris on 18 April 2004

my 1.6 does about that doing 100 - we need a 6 gear gearbox!

its annoying cos doing 60-75odd will do loads more mpg but its sooooooooooo slow and boring
i know what u mean... cant stand doing 60-70 and having old astras and fords flying by! Bring on the 6 speed box!!!

Ford Fiesta

take it you arnt using the dash mpg reading on the computer? i used that on my dynamique and worst i saw was 47.8mpg on the 1149 16V. are u doing it by calculating it from fuel put into tank at the pumps?

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro

actually, funny u shud say that (about ure car sliding all over the place wen braking at !20) coz lnite wen i had to cut between two valvers on our mini wales cruise i slammed the brakes on at about !05 and the car wobbled big time. not sure wot it was but i didnt like it one bit! (nor did moggs coz i cut him up big style! sorrryyyy, but i was tryin to catch u guys and then got in a race with a nissan primera and won then went past u guys then saw pete indicating to go off and i was like O OHH! lol)

-phil-

Nippy white cup

My Cup gets about 30mpg average although I reset my comp at Curborough and got 11.5mpg!

Chris

p.s. I think this was after Nic had razzed round!;)