ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AC Cobra 427 Evocation

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Rangie Sport, Alpina
So I posted in the cars I'm looking at today thread, that I missed having something mad. I was looking at all sorts, Caterham's, Atoms, Cayman GT4's, GT3's and even a Macca 570s in one of my weaker moments.

None of them though really got me going. The Caterhams were too samey when compared to what I had before and the Porkers were too much like 'normal' cars.

Then the Mrs chimed in with why don't you get something you've always though was cool, and literally the first thing that came to mind was a Cobra.

I've always loved them since been little. I've been around kit cars since I was 16 so know them inside out, whats good, what isn't, whats correct etc.

So I set about looking, with my criteria list:

As close to period correct visibly as possible
Flat dash
Offset shifter
Open inner doors
15's with bubble tyres
Correct riveted bonnet and hood scoop
Correct body shape at the rear and front
Side pipes
And most importantly a Ford derived 427ci motor (7litre)

Annoyingly wanting all of the above basically throws out all the UK made reps, bar the £125k ali bodied ones. Even AC's own repos all use LS motors now.

The likes of Dax, AK and Pilgrim all have a design at the rear where it falls away too quickly compared to the real car, and the pilgrim especially has an odd front end.

The UK ones also have really odd interiors and generally chevy 305ci's in them, as they are cheap and plentiful. As well as hateful 17" wheels!

So I was only really left with the American made reps (well the shells are done in South Africa). The two companies making these been Superformance and Backdraft.

Superformance are very nice cars, but the suspension design is of their own making and can be err a little interesting. Backdraft basically ripped the geo from a E36 M3 and used that on their own chassis. I'd have happily had either, LHD wasn't a problem for me.

Now the search was a tough one, very few of these cars are in the UK, and when they get offered through a dealer, they end up being a huge price. Then you can add in the fact its impossible to see one atm and it made it stressful.

Then I randomly found on on car and classic, which was local but had no price. Spoke to the owner, he said all the right things (sadly he got clobbered by Covid, has a heartattack and has no has lost his licence on medical grounds), so I've bought it unseen. Hopefully collect it this week!

Short spec:
Backdraft Cobra 427 SC
Imported 2017
5000 miles since it was built
Period correct bright work
Extra passenger roll hoop
Painted stripes
Stainless side pipers
15" magnesium wheels
Smeading Performance 427 V8. (Stroked Ford Windsor from 351ci to 427ci) 65kg lighter than a big block
500bhp/500lbft
Built Tremec T500 gearbox
Custom independent rear suspension with Torsen LSD.

IMG_0605.JPG
IMG_0582.JPG
IMG_1056.JPG

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
apart from LH drive, has to be one of the coolest cars on here..... :cool:

I have my fingers crossed you get some decent weather mate.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Has he only just bought it?? My mate sold an identical car not long ago.

as others have already said, and as you know, it’s cool as f**k!! Great purchase.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Rangie Sport, Alpina
Has he only just bought it?? My mate sold an identical car not long ago.

as others have already said, and as you know, it’s cool as f**k!! Great purchase.
No he imported it in 2017 himself. I think I was offered the one your mate sold by a dealer though!

McGherkin

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve had the pleasure of being in a Pilgrim Sumo several times, and that was such a cool experience even though it was a Rover V8. A proper, decent one with a 427 must be bloody biblical.

Sign me the f**k up for updates on this one.

EDIT: Yeah I was a bit younger then 😂😂😂😂
16BDB2D3-6184-4531-BAC6-3BD7CE0361E5.png

TomSx

ClioSport Club Member
Cool car.

Shouldn't have AC in the title though. :LOL: Who knew a car which started in Bristol could end up so cool.

Last edited:

Flat Eric

ClioSport Club Member
  182, Ecoboost Fez
That's wicked! Can't wait to see you upload some vids and more pics of it.

I know its early doors but what plans do you have for it?

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Rangie Sport, Alpina
That's wicked! Can't wait to see you upload some vids and more pics of it.

I know its early doors but what plans do you have for it?
Make the interior look more original but upgrade the harness' to modern ones.

New tyres all round. Avon make them in the correct size.

Check it over for bushings etc etc

Its covered in stickers on the sides, those will be the first to come off.

The originals had mild steel painted (black, white or grey) side exhausts, I'd be tempted to have these zirco coated to make them look more period.

massivewangers

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Looks lovely that. A very accurate Cobra rep is right up there on my list of dream cars.

I saw a genuine 427 at a dealer a few weeks ago. A thing of beauty.

Porl

ClioSport Club Member
Epic purchase. Cobra and C3 Vette are my childhood dream cars, I'm very jealous. Looking forward to hearing a vid of it 😂.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Rangie Sport, Alpina
Cracking purchase that Stephen. Bravo.

Only thing I couldn’t live with is the wrong side drive element. Keep this well updated, be nice to see it develop.
After studying all the photo's I think I could convert it to RHD, if I used a standalone pedal box. Maybe a task for a winter.

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
How far away is it? any further than 100 miles and you are going to need at least 2 petrol stations along the way.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Rangie Sport, Alpina
How far away is it? any further than 100 miles and you are going to need at least 2 petrol stations along the way.
40 miles. Its coming back on a trailer.

I bet the Aplina towing it will do better mpg than actually driving it.

thecrim22

ClioSport Club Member
  various
How the hell has this thread not been flagged as nsfw?!?!?!?!? Has to be the most filth in a thread on here ever!!! Love a cobra personally i prefer blue but still stunning hole you drive the arse off it when you get it

Dr Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I worked at Dax for 8/9 years. Did my work experience with them and carried on once I left school, so cobras have always been a big appeal to me.

This looks a beauty.