ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AC Cobra 427 Evocation

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Shopping car.

54666931-585F-4AFD-AE9B-6D1A05B86445.jpeg

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
And thats with manual steering? You are crazy to of even considered pas! 😄 I can only turn the wheel of my clio at about 1/10 of that speed stationary.
The new top mounts made it 500% better. Turns out if they are locked solid, turning is hard lol.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Seriously Amazon!

90142AA7-9A69-43D5-B27D-F4E9FB58B1E1.jpeg

Ordered the socket at 3pm yesterday and the adapter at 11.30pm lol

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
The 'arriving today by 10pm' delivery update usually means (where I live) that Karen will delivery it. In her 2007 Micra, approximately 8pm after wandering aimlessly up and down the street 3 times. Despite having delivered there dozens of times.
The other status updates usually mean it's semi-professional (e.g using an actual van, even if it's fckd) or the Prime van itself and a mystery Polski. You only find this out after clicking buy now :(

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Socket arrived.

Bearing seemed to pull off nicely, till I saw the inner race was still on the stub.

Had to take the grinder to my small pulley puller, to make it pointy-er. Then with some cable ties and mole grips the inner race came off.

New bearing on, went on lovely.

Brakes all back together.

Took the studs out of the old hub and they were copper greased in! Cleaned all that s**t off and re fitted them in the new hub with some loctite.

Hopefully give it a drive this week to see if it’s all fixed.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Nice, have been looking recently and I like the form factor of the Sony more than the GoPro - lots to choose from these days.
Yeah the fact its the 'other way on' helps a lot with mounting sometimes.

A lot of the car guys on youtube use them, for external shots. They can also accept and power a decent microphone.

Grier

ClioSport Club Member
  A clio...
Waiting for Amazon to turn up with my 46mm socket.

View attachment 1542031
makes the 8 million pound a month i pay renting a mk8 golf r seem absurd,........the things a brief mate, people commenting saying do this and do that to it don't have it...... so pay no attention to it, its a belter end of, well played

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
So onto the final steps of making this as good as it can be.

My wiring for the ECU was very much a 'lets see if it works' attempt rather than a neat one! So with that in mind I'm going to take most of it off and redo/reroute it.

I also need to get the O2 sensor moved from the cyl 1 manifold runner to after the collector on the drivers side, this should give the ECU I better idea of whats going on as well at taking the wiring away from the rest of loom on the top of the engine.

There's also a bit of looseness between the steering wheel and the rack. There are only two u bolts and bearings and one UJ so it should be easy to sort.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Found the looseness.

The steering wheel can move 1mm in all directions. So there’s a bush at the dash end that is dead.

Apparently it’s a collar with an insert and over time the insert pops out. So the fix is press it in with some super glue lol.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
After a quick look it’s 100% a Triumph bushing.

Uprated ones are £18 and you can use the old British Leyland trick of hammering the old one out of the way with the new one.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Had an idea for the steering.

Rather than use a s**t flexible bush I could use a needle bearing and an inner race.

Inner column is 1” od and the surround is 1.5” id.

So think I’ll use a 1 - 1.25” inner race and an 1.25” - 1.5” needle bearing.

That would take all the slack out of it.

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
If there’s enough room, a ball or tapered roller bearing would probably be better.

They’re actually designed to take radial and thrust loads

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
If there’s enough room, a ball or tapered roller bearing would probably be better.

They’re actually designed to take radial and thrust loads
Just isn't the space sadly.

There's a collar at the end of the shaft I can use to take the thrust load towards the rack, but after that it'll all be friction.

The only other bearings I can find which are the right size are old BMW ones from E46's but they are ball bearings in a plastic race, which will just get minced in a none assisted set up.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
My bearings came. They don’t fit though. Neither the column or the surround is round, so unless I epoxy them in, it isn’t happening. Will have a rethink.

282BB5B2-D1A8-4FF4-94FB-86401929DD06.jpeg

Lovely welding on my O2 sensor mount though.

That’s all on and wired up.

114DEF5C-8946-499E-A072-716504E8442A.jpeg