ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AC Cobra 427 Evocation

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Turns out knowingly running a wideband in a stupid place makes your plugs look like this…

6AD03BE0-D36B-49C5-B822-994C8B8C840A.jpeg

Now in a much more suitable place, along with a good measure of muscle BHP golding going on with the headers!

D944F0C8-7C23-440F-9495-846F9D87C629.jpeg

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Kinda fugly having it sticking out like that tho, couldn't get it on the inside so it was less noticeable?
Has to be after the collector and 10 deg above the 90deg point so condensation comes off them and not into the sensor.

Fig5-AFR-sensor-location-02.jpg

So didn't really have a choice and I want it to work right....

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Struggling to get this running spot on. Seems to struggle with AFR's at idle and just after idle once hot.

So took the tune off it along with a data log from a good 30 min drive.

Everything looks fine bar not wanting to meet AFR targets.

So I go through all my individual parameters. Only one doesn't make sense. This thing makes a lot of vacuum. Way more than it should with the cam its got.

In the engine bay, off the brake booster, to the TB another little line disappears off into the car. After a lot of pissing about, I follow it through to the rear.

Guess what there is......

A bloody vacuum pump, fine on a carb, but will totally f**k with a ECU which relies on a accurate MAP signal.

Stripped it all out.

Junked the old map out of the ECU as the pump will have wrecked the calibration.

Just on with making a new base map now.

Sniper.jpg

Last edited:

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Wasn’t the lambda sensor location after all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the sniper one after the collector now and another AEM one in where it sniper was temporarily.

The logs on both are pretty similar, but there is a lot more 'noise' where the AEM one currently is. I assume from the facts its seeing 4x less exhaust pluses.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
I have the sniper one after the collector now and another AEM one in where it sniper was temporarily.

The logs on both are pretty similar, but there is a lot more 'noise' where the AEM one currently is. I assume from the facts its seeing 4x less exhaust pluses.

I’ve found some of the sensors cause that noise. I’ve got the mini set up with two widebands as well. One for the ECU and one for the AEM gauge. One of the sensors was a cheap copy and would fluctuate between lean and rich at idle or when the loads were changing. Would only give an accurate reading when at constant load.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
I’ve found some of the sensors cause that noise. I’ve got the mini set up with two widebands as well. One for the ECU and one for the AEM gauge. One of the sensors was a cheap copy and would fluctuate between lean and rich at idle or when the loads were changing. Would only give an accurate reading when at constant load.

True I've got a Bosch sensor for the ECU and an AEM Chinese one for the gauge!

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Struggling to get this running spot on. Seems to struggle with AFR's at idle and just after idle once hot.

So took the tune off it along with a data log from a good 30 min drive.

Everything looks fine bar not wanting to meet AFR targets.

So I go through all my individual parameters. Only one doesn't make sense. This thing makes a lot of vacuum. Way more than it should with the cam its got.

In the engine bay, off the brake booster, to the TB another little line disappears off into the car. After a lot of pissing about, I follow it through to the rear.

Guess what there is......

A bloody vacuum pump, fine on a carb, but will totally f**k with a ECU which relies on a accurate MAP signal.

Stripped it all out.

Junked the old map out of the ECU as the pump will have wrecked the calibration.

Just on with making a new base map now.

View attachment 1545428
200.gif

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Since I now have a bigger lack of trust in all the work done in the past to this car, after the brake issues and hidden vacuum pump fun, I decided to check even the most basic of basic stuff with this..

Today task was timing. Since I'm relatively young.. timing to me, is cam and crank sensors and pressing page up on a ECU table to change it.

Dizzy's and timing lights are new to me.

So I bought one!

41WE1ZS87XL._AC_SY355_.jpg

Ford Windsors have an odd firing order

main-qimg-f59b0063c6a229886d1c98540f8113bb.jpg

Which is what gives them their destinctive sound.

Anyway, I watched a youtube video of setting timing on a Ford Windsor then set about checking and changing mine.

I spoke to Smeding Performance who built the engine and they recommend 16deg static timing advancing to 32deg.

And.....

Mine was set to 25deg static, over 40(!)deg advance.

Timing was easy to reset though and it runs far better!

Usr117063

ClioSport Club Member
Why are you doing all of this? You should of just drove it like you stole it from day 1! Better to have a rather dangerous car broke down on the side of the road instead of making it safer and better to drive IMO 😄

R3k1355

ClioSport Club Member
Well I'd imagine the engine is abit pricey to replace if he shoots a hole in the piston cos the timing is bad.

Usr117063

ClioSport Club Member
"Better to have a rather dangerous car broke down on the side of the road instead of making it safer and better to drive"

Perhaps I wasnt sarcastic enough 😁

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Question:

Do I put Cobra badges on it?

419C0EE0-5556-4FC3-A964-AB67929123DD.jpeg

I feel mine looks a little bare.

I could always take them off if I didn’t like them.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Also with it all timed and set up perfectly, it’ll start after half a crank. Which is mad compared to how it was!