ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AC Cobra 427 Evocation

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Grey, black or a light blue.

Most got swapped for all sorts though.
Another option might be to just buy some new fancy rocker covers and stick yours on the shelf incase you have a change of heart?

Black and silver (but metal silver not nail varnish)

1629064868388.png

There are some Shelby ones too which look quite special.

Just incase you haven't hit this months spent target.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Last pieces of the steering puzzle arrived from a USA, a Borgeson vibration suppressing UJ and a custom made Woodward lower UJ with zero lash bearings for fitment of my DD shaft to the Toyota rack.

7DEB0F87-E6BA-40AC-86C7-4EA91A2F0ED6.jpeg

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Much better. Ive used samco classic boost hoses as well.

To be honest I would stop spending money there. I think the black parts have toned it down enough and the chrome rocker covers look good now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Much better. Ive used samco classic boost hoses as well.

To be honest I would stop spending money there. I think the black parts have toned it down enough and the chrome rocker covers look good now.

Still 3 more red hoses to change, but I was holding off till I'd seen how the classic hoses looked. I do like them though, so I'll order some more.

There are some OEM rocker covers available in the standard silver, I might have a go at getting those, then keep both sets.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Took it for a little drive yesterday.

Still have a vibration at big speeds. So today it was time to find why..

Ive always assumed that if you had wheels made for a car, then well, theyd be the right spec. On measuring though, the centre bore is 75.1mm and the BMW hubs are 72.6mm.

So the vibration is come from misalignment on tightening.

Weird that its never had spigots though, best look at the old spacers it had, so see if they were actually 75mm.

2C00BDCE-1455-4F8D-8D8B-B9F0B15DD617.jpeg

Ah hello mr spigot ring

Bell end.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Ive always found it weird that my classic mini doesnt have them. Or any classic mini for that fact.

They rattle like a junkie walking through a chemist. Ive got a bad vibration on mine and really want to do something about it. But sure its just the wheels.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Ive always found it weird that my classic mini doesnt have them. Or any classic mini for that fact.

They rattle like a junkie walking through a chemist. Ive got a bad vibration on mine and really want to do something about it. But sure its just the wheels.

What rattles? Don't need spigot rings if the wheels are the right size to begin with, mist mini fitment wheels seem to be correct out the box.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
What rattles? Don't need spigot rings if the wheels are the right size to begin with, mist mini fitment wheels seem to be correct out the box.

Everything. Its a mini.

But I want to do something about the steering wheel vibration at cruising speeds.

Its not that the wheels are the wrong centre bore. Its that the drive flange on classic minis dont have a hub centre for a wheel to locate on. Its just centred by the wheel studs.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
On my last test drive the alt belt was still a bit squeal'y on accel.

So I bought myself a set square and actually measured the alignment properly.

The alternator pully was 2.1mm too far forward. So with a bit of massaging of the mounts with a bench grinder, they now are bang on.

Hopefully this cures it for once!

Also I've ordered some period correct 1964 'B' number plates. 64 was a bit of a cross over, with black and silver, black and white and flat plates going about. Up north though most were black and white with raised letters in the 60's font. So that's what I've gone for.

Should look like this:

White Digits Close.png

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Another random issue I have is fuel slosh showing up on the gauge. Acceleration can take it from half full to empty etc. Round abouts cause it to dip by 1/4 of a tank.

So to get around it I've bought one of these:

Its a little box that will match the sender and the gauge more closely. As well as acting as a damper for the movement.

Pretty cool. Saw it on a US forum but is actually made in the UK.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
So took it to the garage with it showing just over 1/4 tank, I got 27 litres in it... Filled it to a point where it blowing fuel back out but it was only just showing over 3/4 or a tank. So I'll have to see if I can get more in it another time. The tank should be 70litres, so 27 wouldn't be far off the half it went up.

Then there's the vibration. I've reduced it by a good 90% which is great but not perfect.

Only thing it can be is the tyres now. I took the wheels to a local place which can check the 'roundness' of a rotating body and the result is, that the front tyres are really out of round. Sadly it looks like it sitting for the last 4 years have killed the tyres.

So that leads me to finding new ones, I want some Avon CR6ZZ's as they are best ones but they are 瞿1400 a set. A quick google finds that Lotus Historic was selling some rears that had done 400 miles for 瞿450. I made a cheeky offer of 瞿200 and it was accepted. So we'll see if they are fucked when I collect them on Saturday.

I just need to order the fronts now.

Pumba

ClioSport Club Member
Whats the approx. cumulative cost to date since purchase? Seems like your always doing stuff to it which I guess is like a hobby but Id just wanna be thraping its tits off!

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Whats the approx. cumulative cost to date since purchase? Seems like your always doing stuff to it which I guess is like a hobby but Id just wanna be thraping its tits off!
Total spend so far is about 瞿3800 ish.

Buy I've sold 瞿500 worth of stuff off it. So 瞿3200 in.

Just been trying to find some other V rated 245/60/15 and I find a thread from the US using these:

They are chinese.... so yeah, but for 瞿130 each, a full set of these would be cheaper than a pair of Avon fronts. Worth a try, if they are s**t I'll just ebay them....

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Went to collect the tyres I thought Id bought from Lotus Historic.. well it was the right industrial estate, Id actually bought them from AC cars haha.

So these had come off a test Cobra for the Superblower one they now sell.

They were used on it in September 2019 and did the grand total of 453 miles, before been swapped for some custom 325 width ones.

So for 瞿100 each Im well happy, considering these are 瞿420 each normally!

Tread wear 80 though so cant see them lasting long!

BC811B55-00DD-4039-B43B-DEC2D7D32B49.jpeg

6D942E58-18C0-496A-B053-92DF62AAF63D.jpeg

Last edited: