ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AC Cobra 427 Evocation

TomSx

ClioSport Club Member
Spotted this yesterday which looked and sounded awesome.

7B8A978D-B568-4782-8764-258EF050A124.jpeg

Not sure what it was..reg was B75 YOU and was def a V8.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Ordered some front tyres to match the rears I got - £668 delivered. That hurt the Yorkshire man in me.

Then got onto addressing the front brakes. Currently it was 300mm discs on the front from a E46. Which technically with the calliper carrier give me a -2mm clearance to the wheels. Which is why the calliper is ground down and why I can’t run any balancing weights where it actually needs them. (You can get them balanced cleanly but with weights in the wheel spoke face, which I hate!.)

So I’ve got some 286mm discs and calliper carriers coming, which will nicely clear the wheels and wheel weights. They use the same calliper so will be an easy swap.

Calliper carriers were £20 and new Brembo discs were £50 from ECP.

RyG

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Ordered some front tyres to match the rears I got - £668 delivered. That hurt the Yorkshire man in me.

Then got onto addressing the front brakes. Currently it was 300mm discs on the front from a E46. Which technically with the calliper carrier give me a -2mm clearance to the wheels. Which is why the calliper is ground down and why I can’t run any balancing weights where it actually needs them. (You can get them balanced cleanly but with weights in the wheel spoke face, which I hate!.)

So I’ve got some 286mm discs and calliper carriers coming, which will nicely clear the wheels and wheel weights. They use the same calliper so will be an easy swap.

Calliper carriers were £20 and new Brembo discs were £50 from ECP.

You have a Yorkshire man in you?

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
This damn car.

Got the tyres swapped over and balanced properly.

With wheel weights in the proper places the rear wheel also catch on the calliper on the car too!

So some smaller discs for the back have been ordered and I’ll have to go to the local breaker yard to see if I can find some calliper carriers off a E46 with the middle size rear vented rotas.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Successful trip to the breakers. One thing of note is how few E46’s are left in breakers yards. There was only two and about 50 E90’s.

Anyway, found a 320i that looked like it lived under the sea, but it had all four carriers I needed.

Part way through a clean up:

F9BFA222-65B4-46E4-88AA-A3E8AD939344.jpeg

Fitted after a lick of paint along with the new discs.

6F12196B-E68D-4F54-B1D7-AB971EA83BA2.jpeg

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Hurt my back on Saturday so not much has happened with this today. Although I did finally confirm that it’s the China rails on the top of the engine that are causing my oil leak.

E05FD85B-41AD-47F3-827B-A92A6C262C59.jpeg

I cleaned all that area up last month and it’s back to been an oily mess.

R3k1355

ClioSport Club Member
Yea go the whole-hog with the silicone see if it seals.

Have you done the inlet dry-fit? It might tell you why you are having problems
Get it into place with the bolts, to see the relative fitment to the heads and the block. If they've machined that Ford block, fit of the heads and manifold will be different.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Yea go the whole-hog with the silicone see if it seals.

Have you done the inlet dry-fit? It might tell you why you are having problems
Get it into place with the bolts, to see the relative fitment to the heads and the block. If they've machined that Ford block, fit of the heads and manifold will be different.

Yeah that’s my issue, the Boss blocks are light weight (for iron blocks) so my China rails are really thin.

This time I’m going to put a missive bead on it, using a few bolts with the heads cut off for alignment.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Timing.

Or control of timing.

Always the big weak point on old stuff. You either have set timing, vacuum advance (and hope it works) or a box like I have, MSD 6AL, which basically says, you aren’t idling anymore, here’s 20deg extra timing.

I was going to buy all the Holley Hyperspark gear to make my car have the ability to use the Holley Sniper ECU to control timing. All the gear is about another £600.

When someone said on a US forum, Holley own MSD, so all your current gear will work, just get a adjustable rotor for the distributer.

So £50 on eBay later, I have a new rotor coming. After that it’s literally, 4 wires to fit and my distributer to lock out and phase and I’ll be good to go.

Having some timing control will be great for totally nailing the idle stability along with being able to lean the cruise out even more for a bit better drivability.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Did a thing.

Took all the gear to advance the timing out of the distributer.

576C11C7-15CA-499B-8DF4-E6823C868129.jpeg

Locked it out, phased the timing to 45deg before tdc.

593767E9-2CAB-43F1-8DCF-6E077ED25516.jpeg

And f**k me it works, the ECU now controls my timing too! All for £50 and some wiring.

Timing table is taking some time though.

5ED19489-EC35-4082-B805-540E60A0ABE0.jpeg