ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AC Cobra 427 Evocation

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
I’ve got the weird urge to convert this to power steering now. No idea why. Just like the idea of the project.

Pretty sure I just need a LHD BMW rack and a little saxo/106 electric pump.

Usr117063

ClioSport Club Member
Dont do it, Im sure its lovely and direct as is.

Id only do it with proper parts if I really had to, krc pump and woodward rack specified for the car weight, tyre size, suspension geometry..

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
The stud is here so I can actually secure the air filter on... the place that sells this stuff in the UK only does Royal Mail 2nd class for postage, so everything takes ages!

Stupid American thread pitch. 1/4in 20. Felt like tapping the t**t to M5.

F8CD42C3-9806-49E4-8854-16CE71217EC2.jpeg

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
This car is testing my love...

Finished work early, weather was sunny, let’s take it out...

Fit the new airfilter and it’s securing stud. Set the ECU to relearn so it doesn’t s**t itself after the filet change.

Crank, nothing, crank fires and dies.

Do this a lot. Get annoyed.

Got into the ECU live feed and there’s no rpm signal. So redo the wiring to that and it starts, but I’d fouled the plugs with fuel, so it ran like a bag of s**t for the first few miles.

Put some fuel in, it starts first time, happy days.

Drive around a bit, give it some and the fan belt starts squealing and doesn’t stop (it’s the original 2004 belt and I have it as tight as I dare).

Then the front left starts squealing too, ffs!

Drive home. Switch it off, and find fuel leaking from the filter again!

Cut the fan belt off, which goes with a proper bang. Then sit and call it a c**t.

Where the f**k do I get a new one for a 1969 Ford Windsor..... measure it, then search and search and search, it’s the same as some s**t Citroen thing, bonus, £8 from eurocarparts for a contitech one.

I’ll fit that and attempt again at fixing my leaky fuel filter. Might just order all new AN fittings to be on the safe side.

As for the front wheel which squeals when you go right, I have no idea. The brakes are greased to death.

Only thing I can think to do is fit new top mounts and ball joints.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
I think I’ve found the cause of my squeal.

Ordered some top mounts, started with the one from the noisy side.

Well.....

There’s no grease in the baring, only sand.... that California life! The baring doesn’t even spin!!

New one on, will do the other side tomorrow too.

New above, old one below.

A177316A-D2E7-483C-B29F-60BD632D3F2D.jpeg

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
New belt on, you have to be really strong for that job. Zero give in it.

AEFEC9E9-0589-48B4-A260-43CE313C2834.jpeg

Then while dicking about I notice the throttle pedal didn’t want to return very well.

I’ve known for a while the cable outlet needed re aligning, it was one of those CBA jobs.

Looks like it was fair hammering the cable!

ECDD6497-58A9-4BBD-947E-A64D4B41D675.jpeg

New cable on and routing sorted and all is well.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Soooooo the fun continues.

Go out for a little blast while the Mrs is on call annnnnnnd

Ping noise and now I have no speedo...

Cable is still fitted on both ends so it looks like I’ve snapped it. Check the big book of cobra bits to find out what cable I need and I find out that in 5800 miles it’s had 6 cables..

So, the issue is the routing at the gearbox end, which I can’t change, so I have a few options:

Import a $100 custom cable for it to break in 1000 miles ish.

Take the feed from a VSS sensor on the diff, like a E36 would, run it through a $300 converter and woo sorted.

Buy a $360 GPS converter (not strictly legal in the uk) and never have an issue again

Or spend $300 on a new electronic gauge which won’t match the others and hope it works with a BMW vss sensor.

Leaning to option 3 atm.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
New (to me) Smiths reverse sweep Cobra speedo is here.

I’ve rigged it up to work from a 12v plug supply as I have a little project I want to try with it.

77246251-A371-4A3D-B83A-173455231512.jpeg

As you can see it’s on 1547 miles. My Cobra is on 5900ish.

I want the mileage on the new speedo to match. Smiths in all sensibleness make them neigh on impossible to manipulate the mileage (for good reason).

So I need to think laterally. Each mile requires 16000 pulses to the speedo. If I set it to a feed at 761hz using an Adrino I’ve programmed it should set/run the speedo to 170mph... the stepper motor will have a fit if I set it to over 180mph, so 170 has a bit of safety built in.

I need to add 4350ish miles to it, so it’ll have to run for 25 and a bit hours.

In that time it’ll deliver 69,600,000 pulses and bobs your uncle the mileage will be correct on the new gauge.

Should be fun.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
New (to me) Smiths reverse sweep Cobra speedo is here.

I’ve rigged it up to work from a 12v plug supply as I have a little project I want to try with it.

View attachment 1539639

As you can see it’s on 1547 miles. My Cobra is on 5900ish.

I want the mileage on the new speedo to match. Smiths in all sensibleness make them neigh on impossible to manipulate the mileage (for good reason).

So I need to think laterally. Each mile requires 16000 pulses to the speedo. If I set it to a feed at 761hz using an Adrino I’ve programmed it should set/run the speedo to 170mph... the stepper motor will have a fit if I set it to over 180mph, so 170 has a bit of safety built in.

I need to add 4350ish miles to it, so it’ll have to run for 25 and a bit hours.

In that time it’ll deliver 69,600,000 pulses and bobs your uncle the mileage will be correct on the new gauge.

Should be fun.

I will LOL so hard when you forget about it and end up having to go round the clock to get the correct miles (thats nearly a month of arduino hahaha).

Don't rely on the arduino for that many hours to stop at the correct number of pulses, if you don't take care with counters you'll probably overflow and never stop so you'll be back at the month in a draw again :)

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Just a thought - you might want to keep an eye on the temperature of the motor - they are only diddy steppers and I guess there is a return spring somewhere so motor current might rise with speed, if thats the case Smiths might not have designed it expecting the normal user to be at 170mph for 24 hours.....

Im sure its probably fine (especially if there is no return spring as current will be the same at every speed then) in reality but wouldn't want you to burn the driver or motor out etc (y)

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Just a thought - you might want to keep an eye on the temperature of the motor - they are only diddy steppers and I guess there is a return spring somewhere so motor current might rise with speed, if thats the case Smiths might not have designed it expecting the normal user to be at 170mph for 24 hours.....

Im sure its probably fine (especially if there is no return spring as current will be the same at every speed then) in reality but wouldn't want you to burn the driver or motor out etc (y)
YOLO

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra

In all seriousness its still only drawing less than 0.3amp's so I don't think there is a spring.

I'd set the timer on the plug to the gauge too, so it'll turn off in 24 hours too.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
I’ll be here tomorrow to see if you managed to set the milage correct.

Are you going with a mechanical to electric speedo drive? It was my immediate thought when you mentioned the kind in the speedo drive cable.

I seen these around classic minis for years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member

Are you going with a mechanical to electric speedo drive? It was my immediate thought when you mentioned the kind in the speedo drive cable.

E36's have a toothed wheel in the diff I think so already have place for a pickup so can be straight electronic.

DCi
ahhh love to see this.

when i was a kid my dad was 'this' close to building a cobra but he got a ginetta instead - cool to see and also cool to see the work put in to a great looking car :D

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra

I’m going to run it from a GPS sensor.

16000 pulses per mile. 10hz resolution.

No more drive cables or actual cables running everywhere in the car.