ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Age old cleaning question.

Afternoon people,

Im getting rather fed up now of my car always being covered in sh*te coz of the dirt at this time of year, and as ive finished my bottle of meguires (sp) Gold class shampoo i can clean it very well.

So before i order some more meguires is there any other make/product i should give a try?? I was pretty impressed with Gold class as it gave a very nice crisp shine.

Cheers For your input and Merry Christmas Everyone

Phil

I use Williams F1 stuff from halfords, not used it for weeks thou and the b**ch is filthy (cars dirty too)

I have been using the NXT from meguiars, and dont really find it any better than triplewax shampoo, just a lot more expensive.

If you like the gold class stick to it.

MERRY CHRISTMAS BACK AT YA

A silver Honda

Quote: Originally posted by docter fox on 23 December 2004
fairy liquid and a pressure washer! :D

Ive heard mixing a small amount of fairy liquid is good for removing old wax from the paint and allowing new wax to be put on.

True or BS?

Quote: Originally posted by Darth Oli on 23 December 2004
Quote: Originally posted by docter fox on 23 December 2004fairy liquid and a pressure washer! :D

Ive heard mixing a small amount of fairy liquid is good for removing old wax from the paint and allowing new wax to be put on.

True or BS?

True.

But dont do it often, and make sure you give it a good rinse and wash again with car shampoo.

silver valver/hybrid

washing up liquid is a mild abrasive, so if you are not careful you could create swirl marks in the paint work.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

I use auto glym and a cap full of MER! Then Quick wax spray stuff...Jus cause zymol makes me a lazy man!

RB182cup&golf gti

dont use fairy liquid on the CAR, fairy liquid contains SALT and SALT is bad for the CAR - hahaha wise words from some old geezer that have stuck

ive heard bleach is good.......for cleaning the toilet

turtle wax zip wax does the trick mate

Take these wise words from someone who knows!

There are many car washes in the market place and tbh thet are are all the same in terms of how they clean. Your typical halfords wash will however strip more of your wax than say a meguiars wash.

The most important thing is to not use a sponge (use a deep pile wash mitt) and to use the two bucket method (pm me!) Start at the top and work your way to the dirty bits at the bottom. But most importantly regular waxing with a hard wax or something like meguiars NXT will simply sheet water off your car.

Using washing up liquid in warm water is ace at stripping of old wax but dont do too often.

Below cup was washed in washing up liquid, clayed, body scrubbed, glazed and waxed with NXT, tell me can you get much better? :D

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1102419898__CScup1.jpg

Quote: Originally posted by derv on 23 December 2004

washing up liquid is a mild abrasive, so if you are not careful you could create swirl marks in the paint work.
its not so much an abrasive ,its just full of salt and will damage your paintwork, so dont ever put it on your car unless you know what your doing(its not something you should put regulaly on your car)

Quote: Originally posted by 182blue on 23 December 2004

its not so much an abrasive ,its just full of salt and will damage your paintwork, so never ever put washing up liquid on your car

Whilst I wouldnpt recommend using it more than say 1-2 x a year its no more full of salt than a drive to the sea side or allowing your caro not be washed for some time and accumulating road salts!

yeh but if you tell people to wash there car with washing up liquid they will do it every week, which will knacker there paint, and if they dont use proper products after then there paint will be shagged

a good quality shampoo like gold class is fine, i use zymol clear and sometimes autoglym wash, but this time of year whatever you use it wont last more than a day and it will be completely covered again, just try to keep the crap of it as often as you can,i wax mine with mothers car wax, i have tried all the best stuff (zymol etc) and i find this the cheapest and best, mine seems to look ok and washes up good and clean

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1101761006__DSCF0322.jpg

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1084393199__nn1.jpg

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1084393078__DSCF0179.jpg

Ive got some zymol that I will try when the weather becomes warmer, but for now a good sealant or NXT wax is great!

i seriously recomend mothers wax products, although zymol clear (shampoo) is very good but expensive at £18.50 for a small bottle

A lot of blokes on the meguiars forum recommend p21 s which seems to be a pure yellow carnuba wax.

I can pop a link to aweb site if peeps are interested

GR7

Shiny red R32

Washing-up liquid also has salt in it, which is really bad for the paintwork but good for getting grease off dishes!! :cry:

I think too many people are geting uptight about the occasional splash of washing up liquid when the absolute worst thing you can do to your paintwork is wash it with a sponge and most peeps on here probably do that all the time!

106 GTi

P21s Wax is a fantastic product. Wipes on off with so much ease. Best wax I have ever used. Best off using it over a sealant such as NXT or Autoglym Extra gloss at this time of year though as Carnuba isnt that durable.

I use a meguiars lambswool mit (NOT A SPONGE :sick:) with Zymol shampoo every week. Also use 2 buckets, one with the shampoo and another for rinsing the mit - youd be amazed how filthy the water can get and its better being in the rinsing water rather than the soapy water............

Claybar and Zymol HD cleanse twice a year

Zymol wax once per month