ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alarm - Central locking problem

Hi, just an inquiry to pick your brains concerning a problem with my car alarm.

After purchasing an imported 172 I decided that it would be best to fit a Cat 1 alarm to ensure compliance with my insurance. I chose to have a Toad AI606 fitted with an optional tilt sensor as I only heard good reports on their reliability.

From day 1 the central locking of the car has been repeatably going out of sync with the alarms key fob. Sometimes it works perfectly, sometimes I cant lock or unlock the car with the alarm fob and have to resort to the key fob, Ive also noticed that the lock button on the centre console also seems to be intermitently working and not working. The alarm company says the problem is linked to the fact that new clios use a synchronous lock and unlock wire, but they go on to say they have not had this problem with other installations.

Is this a problem with the alarm, the car or the installation, help?

Clio V6 255

Got exactly the same setup as you, cant say ive had that problem. I was told never to use the renault key fob as you dont need it, and it may confuse the system. Sounds like a dodgy installation to me. The guys who did mine said it was the first new clio they did, and when they phoned up renault for a wiring diagram they were told that they could not fit it to a clio due to the complex locking mechanism. They thought sod that and fitted it anyway, and it works fine.

Ask them to check the wiring, as it is probably them who have screwed the wiring up.

Thanks,

I also believe that there has been a mistake with the wiring.

I was also told not to use the Renault fob for wiring, however I park my car in a Railway car park and I tend to always check the handle to see if the car is locked. A number of times the alarm locking has been working perfectly when all of a sudden it decides not to lock the car door. Given a choice of walking away with an unlocked door or locking it with the Renault fob I choose the latter.

I have an imported clio 172 mk2 which does not have an alarm fitted at the moment, although Iintend to have one fitted soon.

My local Renault dealer can fit an alarm for £400.00, would it be cheaper to go elseware? Also at the moment I have to be within three feet of the car to lock/unlock using the key remote, the dealer says this is normal as the frequencies have been changed by Renault.

Anyone got any suggestions.

Clio V6 255

£400 is a bit excessive, and with a new alarm you wont have the distance problem.

I really like the Toad AI606, and would recommend it (although some people seem to think it is now discontinued??? i dont know) but make sure you get it fitted by a professional accredited fitter so that you can reduce your insurance!.

I was under the impression that as the UK spec 172 had a Thatcham Cat 1 fitted as standard, it was necessary to fit one in order to get the standard insurance. I decided to fit one purely because it would avoid questions if my car was stolen.

The Toad AI606 is a great alarm, if your installers are better than mine. I paid 239 for the alarm and 50 for the additional tilt sensor.

Ford Fiesta

£400? nope the cat 1 upgrade to work off original fob key is £300 fitted and tested. Both of my local Renault dealors quoted this. Renault Gold Shield 2 alarm. its on my car