ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alfa 156 v6 (10 years off the road) project

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
My old man bought this 5 years ago, it had been sat for 5 years before that. He was going to do it up, in retirement but is bored on furlough.
It was his next door neighbours. I can't remember why they laid it up, but I remember the day we dragged it round to his house, because it burnt the clutch out on my Vectra VXR at the time.
Tomorrow, we are going to try and get it started.

I don't know a great deal about it, other than its a 2.5 v6. The engine looks like a work of art.
The interior is tan leather, which is an unusual choice with todays standards. Inside, it looks in good order, just needs scrubbing back to life.

Outside, it has been sat in the elements for 10 years, so it's going to need some/much paint. Possibly a bit of welding, I can't remember. Will take some more pictures as he gets going with it. I think many seals may need to be refreshed, around the windows, doors etc.

The spoiler is almost Impreza spec. Wheels look mega as well.

alfa1.jpg

alfa5.jpg

alfa2.jpg

alfa3.jpg

alfa4.jpg

Not his engine, but it looks a grubby version of this:

alfa-romeo-156-sportwagon-close-up-italienska-fordonstraffen-krapperup-2015-1-74634.jpg

In the time this car has been sat outside:

I got married
I've had two kids (oldest is 9!)
Moved house
Had 3 jobs
Had many cars
@leeds_182 has had 1,000 cars
2 recessions

Google street view has it on my mums neighbours drive in 2009 (The year before it was off the road)

2009.JPG

It's then at my mums in 2016 (so maybe 50 years in 6 years + my clutch)

2016.JPG

And it's still there in 2020.

Will update tomorrow, if we have any success.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Not teaching you how to suck eggs mate but make sure you check double check and triple check the stage of the cambelt and tensioners before you start it.
If that snaps, it’s written off. And I don’t want to see that happen because that car is the SEX!
The interval on them is 5yrs 70k but they were prone for failing way before the intervals.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Not teaching you how to suck eggs mate but make sure you check double check and triple check the stage of the cambelt and tensioners before you start it.
If that snaps, it’s written off. And I don’t want to see that happen because that car is the SEX!
The interval on them is 5yrs 70k but they were prone for failing way before the intervals.

No that's great advice mate cheers.

Monaro is another in the old man's collection. It's the VXR one with the 5.7, a pretty rare thing. Or so he has said for the past decade.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
No that's great advice mate cheers.

Monaro is another in the old man's collection. It's the VXR one with the 5.7, a pretty rare thing. Or so he has said for the past decade.
I have an LS2 VXR8.
Which to be honest, I thought your Dads was an LS2 as it has a 6.0 bonnet??
Cool as f**k either way. I like your dads taste in cars!! 👍

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
I have an LS2 VXR8.
Which to be honest, I thought your Dads was an LS2 as it has a 6.0 bonnet??
Cool as f**k either way. I like your dads taste in cars!! 👍

He's got a couple more cars he might let me showcase on here later.

The Monaro is the 2005 reg but a 2004 VXR model year. The one that had the large boot and bonnet vents, but retained the LS1 but with 380bhp.
He used to say there were only 55 of them in the UK. Not sure how to validate that now.

You getting the bumper done on the 8?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
He's got a couple more cars he might let me showcase on here later.

The Monaro is the 2005 reg but a 2004 VXR model year. The one that had the large boot and bonnet vents, but retained the LS1 but with 380bhp.
He used to say there were only 55 of them in the UK. Not sure how to validate that now.

You getting the bumper done on the 8?
Never knew that! Thought all 5.7’s had a flat bonnet.
With regards to the bumper; No.

I’ll get it done when I sell it. No point in getting it done now, I’m doing 60+ miles a day in it so it will only get chipped right up.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Some progress was made.

It wouldn't fire, with a fresh battery. Throttle body clicking like mad + engine management light flashing. Would crank over but not fire.
Disconnected throttle body, it fires up and dies instantly. As it's fly by wire, there are no secondary controls for the throttle plate control, it just firing is a good sign.

alfa6.jpg

Used my 1980's snap-on red brick to diagnose some OBD codes, which obviously came back with throttle position sensor etc.

alfa7.jpg

Quick google says the engine ECU has an issue with a capacitor. It needs soldering properly onto the PCB. Common fault.

My old man removed the ECU and it's cover to find, that the board has no solder at all. It's just conductive glue holding the components together. He removed the glue around the capacitor too aggressively and some of the gold circuitry has come away :( Apparently this is a massive no no. The ECU is likely goosed. I forged ahead with the soldering anyway.

alfa8.jpg

However, when re-insterting the ECU (pre & post soldering) the EML doesn't illuminate - not a good sign. The car then cranks but will not fire.

So it likely needs an ECU kit. Immobiliser, Engine ECU, transponder and key fob. Not particularly easy to source.

Clio Williams 3
Good luck with this. Once/if you do get it running it will be worth the effort. That engine is just sublime and those 156's do drive really well! I have 3 alfas myself!

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTI, Jap Tank.
I paid £330 for a 2.0 Twin Spark one. It was epic, I adored that thing and despite the reputation, took all sorts of abuse. Only time it let me down was when the battery died. New battery on it, perfect.

They do rust, and they go through suspension bushes.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Ordered this, from a breakers in Holland!

ECU.jpg

ECU kit (engine side), for 150euros delivered. The next best was £400, so it was a steal really.
Turned up in two days as well.

Old fella fitted it today - turns the key.... and...

It even moves..

He's given it a clean and we did a mock MoT. Everything works, which is madness.
However it's not been in the air, so need to check the chassis out, before maybe putting a new radiator in + some brakes.

alfa.jpg

He paid £300 for it 5 years ago.
Has £450 in it now.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
@Donny_Dog

I know exactly where that is, I used to live at the back of those houses in Blackthorn Close.

Does your dad still have the Monaro?

Next street to where I live currently. Small world it seems. What cars did you have when you lived in Blackthorn, I might remember, when walking through.

Yeah he still has it, he's not sure for how much longer. He fancied a 4 series in retirement and it would probably fund that.

Strangely this Alfa, he's on about using it as a daily run about, with a straight pipe from the cat back. Lolz.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Then this piece of s**t for the remaining 18months, which should show you which house I lived at.

An older couple live there now, with a very old dog, I think.

Good job you don't live there now, there's a yob who lives in the next street.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Since getting him the ECU and stuff to get the car going, it has lit some enthusiasm in the old man.
He's fleeced my gas bottle for the welder and cracked on.

Needed a small piece here at the bottom of the wing.

alfa1.jpg

He's wire-wheeled the sills and covered with stone chip or something. They're covered by the side skirts anyway.

alfa.jpg

I adjusted the brightness, but the photo is still poo. The spare wheel tub had rotten, so He's formed some sheet and redone that.

It's been up on the 2-post lift and isn't bad underneath at all.

Needs a radiator, brake refurb, belt doing and a general service before attempting the MOT.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
I ordered some stuff for the old boy, from Autodoc and he's nearly there, to try for an MOT!

New brakes and flexi's

brakes.jpg

brakes1.jpg

New rad

rad.jpg

Along with a new set of belts, tensioners and idlers - it was a pig of a job, no wonder they charge so much for them doing.
Another not easy job, was just changing the oil filter, which is at the back of the engine and properly nested. He wasn't happy about doing it.

The oil cost £13.90!

oil.jpg

The HUGE air filter cost £15.

filter.jpg

New battery was £50. Wipers were £15.

BWWARRRRRP

Needs a set of tyres and the drivers side brake pipes need replacing on the front and back. Then an MOT attempt.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
It's finished. Mainly because my old man took retirement and that gave him time to do the final bits.
It has 12 months mot. The exhaust was the only issue. Which has been replaced with new. They passed it with that, being the only advisory.

The MOT history has a 10 year gap! LOL. He also undersealed it after the MOT was done as well.

I've been in it and it makes a great noise. The interior is awesome. No rattles, knocks or anything as well. He's using it as his run around, but he's going to move it on, now that he has retired.

The bodywork is probably the least desirable element of the car. It's great in places and the odd scrape or ding in others. The engine bay could do with polishing as well.

Off the top of my head, the main positive bits: Cambelt + service done, new radiator, new brakes all round, new brake lines, new exhaust, undersealed.

What do you think an 80k 2.5 v6 should be listed for?

Alfa_done.jpg

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I’d be putting that on collecting cars if it’s as nice as it looks.
its a rare old thing now with those miles.

Clio Williams 3
The 156 GTAs go for around £10k if its a good one. Not sure with this. The engine makes it more valuable than a t-spark or diesel though. I think I would be asking £3-4k if I was you