ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alpina D3 Bi Turbo F31 Touring

JayA

ClioSport Club Member
  1.2 Dynamique
We’ll yes and no.

If you go back in here a bit. They filled it with water lol….

I drained a litre out and put some concentrate in it. It’s still apparently a bit weak. Did last winter without issue though.
Hang on, they gave you a new engine and put water instead of coolant in it?! That's hugely concerning if they thought that was ok!

340i
I think it’s safe to say that 99.9% of the customers we see that have this issue haven’t even driven past a track mate. From my experience the Goodyear’s either split on the inner edge, or bulge the sidewall at the slightest threat of a pot hole. They’re fuckin dire.

I had Goodyear RFT's on my F30, two sidewall bulges within 4K miles of fitting... Dreadful things!

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Brought it back home now.

Had to sign a bit of paper saying if I die I won't come after Sytner lol.

@NorthloopCup on the health check they've noted then one brake hose has a bulge (no biggie) but one of the metal brake lines also has a bulge. How does a metal one bulge?

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Ordered some parts since Autodoc had a flash 50% off.

In my 'inspection' the brake hoses and the front track control arms were highlighted.

So 4 new Febi brake hoses, 2 Lemforder track control arms and a ZF gearbox service kit came to £300. Bargain.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
Just read through this thread, I'd seen the JayEmm video and thought there can't be many D3's with mileage like that, was just on a different plate at the start of the thread. Great read and what a result with the new engine.
Does that cost p/m include the free motoring on the hire cars while the engine was swapped?

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Just read through this thread, I'd seen the JayEmm video and thought there can't be many D3's with mileage like that, was just on a different plate at the start of the thread. Great read and what a result with the new engine.
Does that cost p/m include the free motoring on the hire cars while the engine was swapped?
No there’s 13000 miles of free motoring I didn’t include!

Flat Eric

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I’ve got a retro fit kit for the new IDrive system with the large touch screen and CarPlay in my basket on eBay too. Can’t bring myself to press go though!
Is it much work to fit? I'd go for it.

Lack of car play/android auto is only thing what let's the infotainment down in mine I think.
Mines the large touch screen though, although I never use the touch screen

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Is it much work to fit? I'd go for it.

Lack of car play/android auto is only thing what let's the infotainment down in mine I think.
Mines the large touch screen though, although I never use the touch screen
This is the large large one (10.25” BMW X5/X6 screen).

Not much work to fit really, will come pre coded etc.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
I’ve got a retro fit kit for the new IDrive system with the large touch screen and CarPlay in my basket on eBay too. Can’t bring myself to press go though!

I'm half tempted for my E60. I miss being able to watch my YouTube playlists on the way to work, but I can't bring myself to spunk £400 on a screen. I think I want to upgrade the speaker system first. But I can't be arsed to do that either.

Sidnancy

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182 FF
Depending on the year, you can get some half decent looking MMI boxes for circa £200. Tempted by one myself. Got the wifi module so could have android auto which would be a god send as Waze has saved my life, license and arse multiple times.

TomSx

ClioSport Club Member
As above, the MMI boxes seem best imo. Retain the original screen but with Carplay.

@Flat Eric You can just have carplay coded on yours can't you? At your year I didnt think you needed any hardware.

Oh and waitey, you're finally doing a geabox service? Probably best not to now I'd have thought..

Flat Eric

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
As above, the MMI boxes seem best imo. Retain the original screen but with Carplay.

@Flat Eric You can just have carplay coded on yours can't you? At your year I didnt think you needed any hardware.

Oh and waitey, you're finally doing a geabox service? Probably best not to now I'd have thought..
Ye my mate said I can have it coded but didn't know how true it was?
Never looked into it.

There's a couple of bits I want coding now to be fair as it's out of warranty

Sidnancy

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182 FF
So, ive got a guy who is brilliant at coding. Always kept busy on the 135/140 forums by people wanting coding. Lives in Scotland but did mine remotely and was seamless. Not expensive either but I didnt have Carplay done. It can be done if youve got the right software and my mates looks really good. PM me if you want his deets :)

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra

MMI and those Android head units can’t handle called while CarPlay is active, which makes they useless for me!

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Will just be Carplay. Android Auto is a whole different pain in the butt.

@Waitey is that true about not being able to handle calls whilst having Android Auto/Carplay on? Never heard that before :rolleyes:
Yeah.

The proper CarPlay connection is WiFi/Cable not using Bluetooth.

The MMI boxes need the phone connected to BMW Bluetooth, this then falls over when you get a call, so you either lose the call or lose the music.

My MMI box lasted 3 days before it went into the bin.

Cribert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
I’m total shite with all the in car entertainment stuff. What would I need on mine for Apple car play?

2016 build just the standard screen, not the wide one