ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Any of the insurance guys know if you can insure against an excess ?

Now i need to explain specifics here , i know you can on a personal policy (how many realised that ? a way to reduce a premium by ramping up an excess and then re insuring that huh ? )

this is more specific can an employee insure against a large company vehicle excess (eg a policy not in their own name )

i assume you can insure anything given the right underwriter

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
A lot of people are doing it, as low as £50 per year but... you usually have to pay the excess first then claim it back. Read the small print. :)

Never knew about this. Even with having to pay for the excess, and then claiming it back, it seems good?

Surely too good to be true?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Not really, they like insurance are hoping you don't claim.

Yes, some insurers do offer this, I dont really see the point myself but google is your friend.

I tried Google ... but didn't come up with anything that was suitable for company car drivers ... our excess being 1k means it's worth covering . But anything I found said you had to be the policy holder which on company insurance you would not be

Ford Mustang 5.0
From what i understand Its called Excess Protection insurance, it would normally be a seperate insurance policy that runs alongside your stadard policy.....Then if a claim occurs you have to pay the excess up front and then claim it back from the secondary policy.

Seems like a good idea to essentially save some money if you are willing to do the sums.

Say ramping up your excess to £1000 on your car insurance saves you £200 on your premium, then excess insurance only costs £50 then you would still be £150 better off.

The only down side being that, in the event of an accident, you would lose £1000 until you could claim it back.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Seems like a good idea to essentially save some money if you are willing to do the sums.

Say ramping up your excess to £1000 on your car insurance saves you £200 on your premium, then excess insurance only costs £50 then you would still be £150 better off.

The only down side being that, in the event of an accident, you would lose £1000 until you could claim it back.

IF those were the numbers, and there were no other catches, then yes it would make sense.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
A company that specifically does this is www.insure4excess.com

We use these as an additional option to our tempoary policies, but I believe you can organise it for annual.

clio sold :(
My insurance company offer this and I have it ! my compulsory excess is 750 plus 250 voluntary so if I had a bump very expensive. They charge somthing like an extra £6 to cover it

however this will be on a policy my company has not me .... and that seems to be the sticking point

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Sorry Harv, didn't read that bit mate.

Just having a quick read of their site, it appears that they are an appointed representative of Towergate, so may be worth giving them a call.

Have rung a few now , and not had any luck .....

while i understand why we have ended up with this excess , and people need to think about driving their vehicles carefully they are like myself on the road a lot 50k a year mileage does raise the chances of having a prang .

Some of my staff earn under 25k per year (not by much) but a 1k lump is going to sting (it will sting me as i am in the same boat as its all drivers on our fleet )

was just looking at a way of helping them a little , and sods law says someone who has never had an accident in years is going to get caught out, and i can hear the phone ringing the next time the weather looks bad and people not wanting to go do their job .

a whole can of worms may well open .