ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

AWT inlet manifold group buy

Seeing as there is some interest ill see if a group buy can be arranged, however they are notoriously difficult to get the whole group together.

I offer 2 stages of manifold modification.

1) Mild rework. This involved more than your typical port match and is based around the redevelopment of the 180 degree bend. Manifold mating faces are matched with a 0.015" step DOWN (each step gets progressively larger) this is not large enough to effect flow, but it is significant in reducing flow reversal. The shape of the entire bend is altered, as is the entry angle into the cylinder head to reduce the losses associated with changed in velocity, pressure drops and direcitonal changes. Depending on the manifold from the factory, gains for this can range from 5-8bhp. Some manifolds arent too bad from the factory (in terms of matching) but this leaves very little meat for me to work with when it comes to altering the shape. The ones which tend to show the largest gains are the manifolds which are horrible from the factory. The large amount of material allows me to develop the shape better, so to an extent, it can be pot luck as to what components you are handed from the factory. 182 manifolds tend to be better selected.

2) full manifold rework. This involves the same work as above but with added work on the inside of the plenham (renault sport part). The manifold has the box section cut off and tig welding is used to build ally up around the entry to the runners. As std the entries are poor and restrictive, developing this releases the last part of the puzzle in terms of the std manifold. Its more expensive due to the added labour and use of consumables, and takes longer. Gains of about 8-12bhp are in order with an upper limit on the manifold i put around the 210-220bhp region (if you really push it).

Pricing

Mild rework - £126 fitted, this is 30% off retail!!!

Full rework - £256 fitted, 20% off retail due to consumables factoring in.

Andy @ GDI has offered a substantial reduction on his SMT6s in conjunction with this particular manifold mod. £495 + vat, opposed to £600 + vat, that is a massive saving!

FAQ

1) The manifold work will, technically void warrenty from the view of most dealers, that is the line i would approach it from. However, the mild rework is undetectable from the outside, and you would be hard pressed to spot it unless you were looking. If requested, i can shot blast the inside to make the texture look stock. But i am not advocating hiding it from ins or dealers.

2) Time. Mild rework will take a days work to remove, work and refit. Full rework will take over a week, and in which case, if there are enough people i will arrange an exchange system where i work the manifold before you come in. However, plenhams differ between phase 1 and 2 172s/182s.

3) Fueling with the full rework will have to be adjusted, if you do not want to, i cannot be held responsable. Mild level rework it is advisable to have fueling altered via a chip or remap. In some cases, if the manifold is one of the better ones out of the facotry, a remap isnt 100% neccesary......even the repalcement ECUs and chips will do a suitable job.

4) bhp gains, undoubtedly some will be happier than others, as outlined some manifolds are better than others, and this is the main cause when we see good ones or those cars that are just naturally faster than others. Weve seen occasional anomalies where massive gains are had, and others where gains arent as large as predicted, even with all the induction, manifold, exhaust, remap done. Everything is done to the best that can be done at the time and with the components at hand.

Any questions just ask

i will be offline for a while, but back this evening.

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

combined results however with bens work listed above and an SMT will smooth power delivery and make the car more drivable and response.

to date this is one of the most popular and effective moddifications.

Andy

Mondeo STTDCI

I want the chip and the mild rework. Keep me in mind when this kicks off. Can it all be done in a day?

Mondeo STTDCI

Quote: Originally posted by Andy GDI on 11 August 2005

we dont do the "chip" but with the remap... yes... if its the mild work!

Andy
By that I meant the SMT6 + the mild work. What COULD I expect from the SMT6, the mild work, ITG Maxogen or the like and exhaust (assuming Hayward and Scott did a good job?).

dont spose valvers/willys can be included can they? what will it run like on standard ECU? if answer is yes annd fine then ill have full rework without smt6

The valver/williams inlet manifold is a totally different matter. It cannot, or rather, there is no benefit in reworking it at all. It is snail shell shaped and you cannot get any tooling further than 6" up it. The runners are also so large that they do not pose a restriction, and actually mate up to the head very very well.

The best gains for the williams is a cam swap, i can offer a discount to those with MK1s who cant be included in this group buy.

Quote: Originally posted by hip_spasm on 11 August 2005

I want the chip and the mild rework. Keep me in mind when this kicks off. Can it all be done in a day?
Mild work i can do in a day, and andy can wire up the SMT in a day.........all goes swimmingly, a day is doable.

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

dont forget the smt allows remapping again after fitting to cover other changes like cams and headwork etc...

even covers fitting larger injectors should you get that far ahead.

remaps post the initial fitting and set up are £150...+ vat

Andy

Ahh man, I was saving (slowly...) for having it all done, + your pulleys + SMT...

Supersprint manifold is probably best idea then?

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

plattsy

its advisable with cams to get the fueling correct, although they do run quite well without....... oddly enough... doing myself out of some work....

however results have shows us that they do pick up smoothness and a few extra bhp with the mapping.

A.

Quote: Originally posted by Illusion on 11 August 2005

Ahh man, I was saving (slowly...) for having it all done, + your pulleys + SMT...

Supersprint manifold is probably best idea then?
use the valver manifold, i honestly dont think the supersprint is worth the dosh, does nothing at all.

Could the boys with the MK1s please email me.

And anybody wanting manifold work email me aswell, also include if you want the SMTs. I will keep tabs on the group buy and inform andy of who wants an SMT, rather than splitting up a single job and confusing issues.

mailto:Ben@angel-works.co.uk">Ben@angel-works.co.uk

Just so i cant sort out, firm people, with those asking questions.

If you are deciding to opt in, please make the subject Inlet manifold group buy.

Inside please put details of what you want, and when you are looking to have the work done.

I will respond with total price and assorted information.

172 mk2

if i had mild rework done would it be possible to have full rework completed at a later stage?

[Edited by howie p on 12 August 2005 at 10:24am]

is it possible to have a before + after RR to see gains, any disscount on these?

cheeky i know!! dont ask, dont get!!

Audi A6 (S3 on order)

Great deal this people !!!!

Get Andy and Ben on a good day and they will outperform any of the other tuning companies by such a large amount that youll feel silly for ever looking at anyone else.

I know of nobody else who id let work on my car other than these two.

Andy, Ben .... you finish mine first though eh !!

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner

If you were having the smt done aswell would you need 1 or 2 rr runs ? what is the cost of them ?

+ is the £126, £256 including VAT ?

Quote: Originally posted by mauricewt on 12 August 2005

If you were having the smt done aswell would you need 1 or 2 rr runs ? what is the cost of them ?

+ is the £126, £256 including VAT ?
one run to map.....included if your getting the SMT.

the £126 is full price, that is what you will pay including fitting.

Suzuki SV650

I just wrote a great big reply, but I f**king deleted it. f**ks sakes!!!

BenR you have mail anyhow!

Id prefer to have my car RRd before and after, I dont mind paying, but I dont want to pay thru the nose... If only to help show what gains have been made, I know there are more to cars than power graphs, but itd just be nice thats all! And I know a few people who may be sceptical about having this work done my change their minds after seeing a graph and maybe a vid of the work done.... Comments?

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

its only £25 extra to have the car on the rollers before, you obviously get RR graphs after with the SMT anyhow....

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

oh.. i have loads of graphs of these cars with different stuff.... and have posted them before..... over the last 2 yrs...

172 mk2

id also like a before and after RR if i did this.. all engines being different...

stevieP, gunna open another student account for this?!?!?! lol

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z

Quote: Originally posted by Andy GDI on 12 August 2005

its only £25 extra to have the car on the rollers before, you obviously get RR graphs after with the SMT anyhow....
Obviously ;) lol

To be honest i think its a good idea to do a before and after RR because its a known fact that every engines output is different (manufacturing tolerences/friday specials lol). Most people would hope their 182 to make 180bhp but in reallity its not always the case....therefore if RR runs are only carried out after and the car makes say 185bhp the assumption would be only a 5bhp gain...sparking thats not what you claimed blah blah reaction. But the case may have been the engine only made 175bhp from the factory so the claimed gains would have been correct. Eliminates accusations of BS bhp gain claims, anywho....all imo :-D

Im up for the full work on the manifold Ben (you should have head/inlet next week sometime) I doubt we will get enough ppl for a group buy, to many ppl are all talk;)