ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car’s to rival valvers

Ok then people. Im currently looking for a new car i like the valver alot but am wary of the repair costs as they always seem to be breaking down.

I need to think of some other options but im only 19 so they need to be about the same insurance group as the valver (no more then 13).

I have thought of a VTS but they are too comon and have too much of a boyracer image, the106gti but they seem to be too small inside and the pedals are in a wierd position. I will have a budget of £5K to buy the car as i will then need to insure it.

What other options are there and what would you lot recomend? maybe

Punto GT turbo

Civic Vtec

Audi A3??

Help me please as i cant decide.

Cheers Phil

You mad?

None of them would compete with a valver unless your talking about the CTR and the prices are way more than that of a decent valver so you could still save a packet and pay for any repairs. Besides at the side of those mentioned valvers are bomb proof. Elecrtics can be a bit twitchy and gearbox may throw the dif out if hamered off the line but essentilly bomb proof. If you can afford an A3 you should be buying a 172.

the three youve mentioned are above group 13 insurance as far as im aware VTS and the civic are 14 and the a3 is 14 or above i think

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3

i wouldnt say valver were bomb-proof! every one whos owned one has had problems i bet.

And the Punto GT DOES compete with a valver in a straight line, might struggle round corners, but much more tuneable...

I think you will find they are about the same 0-60 and valver has better top end and as you say puntos are not known for their cornering ability.

I have had a valver and only had trouble with clutch cable - wrong size.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3

er yeah that what i just said!

Ive had both and i had lots of probs with the valver and none with the punto!

Do you not have any other suggestions? and as for the A3 you can get them for about £5k on autotrader but with quite high mileage.

Also the VTS might be group 14 im not sure but the quotes are about the same as a valver, so i imagined it was about the same group.?.

my mate has a vts and its ok but tinny, my 16v i had years ago was much better, i had no problems with the valver apart from general servicing but that was a while back now, at least 6 years. Good motors but look carefully, too many been thrashed to f**k.

Defo a Punto GT!!;) I had one before the valver,Really good,quick cars and very,very tunable! Easily get 200bhp with a chip and hybrid.

Try and go for a GT3 tho, less problems with em! Think thats from a R reg onto a T reg. They go for about £3000-£5000.

Only down side is only 8valve so lacks top end, but on pull off very decent indeed with alot of torque, so many people underestimate em at the lights.

If ya feeling very brave drop in a 2L Coupe engine into it and ya f**kING laughing i tell ya! Try this website see what ya think some nice ones for sale on here.

http://http://www.puntoabarth.co.uk/phpBB2/index.phphttp://http://www.puntoabarth.co.uk/phpBB2/index.php

Ditto the Punto GT suggestion. Their handling isnt great (nowhere near Clio 16v as standard) but their straight line performance IS (to a point). In fact seeing as the Clio 16v is a pretty revvy car, the Punto could catch a 16v driver out with that strong turbo. Their torque figure is very similar to a 172s and produced about 2k rpm lower!

mmmm i do quite fancy a punto. Not too sure on the teeth on the front of that one mitsi but otherwise its pretty nice. Is that a gt3 mitsi?

Spec C 12.5@110 (345/355)

I think the last gen Civic VTEC(160 odd BHP) will be a very very good race with a 16V. Id opt for a Civic VTEC Jordon, to be a bit different.

The Jinx

Thisll make you laugh, but Im torn between it and the valver.

A Xsara VTS. Very similar performance, pretty reliable (Ive owned a 1.6i) actually rather decent build quality inside, despite what the critics say.

Very unique choice as well.

(ex-2.0 Hybrid)CorradoVR6

Umm if you look around and get a decent valver you should be trouble free. I ve only had wear and tear on mine just the usual and i only paid $450 for mine:D.

(ex-2.0 Hybrid)CorradoVR6

not alot, no tax, Needed a new clutch. And a few scraps and a patch of rust on the pass side. All sorted now though;)

Titanium 182

gt aint bad but cant stand puntos

and straight line is no fun really

id get a good valver and have some fun