ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CNC thread

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Struggling with solidworks cam to emco mill as unsure on the post processor to use and can't find anything online!

Anyone have any ideas? Takes the piss manually programming it. If anyone needs anything doing on solidworks let me know too.

Sj1782

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi s3 8p
Pffft who uses software? I program with just my amazing brain and a few fingers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Pffft who uses software? I program with just my amazing brain and a few fingers

Me too, and not all little shitty things either!
20180504_035930.jpg
20180515_013303.jpg

The planning for that just said 'bore'! It was planned for 70 hours machining and took over 200. Nice change from shitty cast iron or w**k fabrications we do.

Sj1782

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi s3 8p
Currently on the way down to haas to look at a few 5 axis machines! Should be a good day out

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Currently on the way down to haas to look at a few 5 axis machines! Should be a good day out

saw one of the haas 5 axis machines last year in person at a trade show, amazing bits of kit. shame its to big for my workshop.

Sj1782

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi s3 8p
any bigger and id need planning permission :(

make sure you get a video of it in action

Unfortunately not allowed phones! It was the haas f1 factory amazing place! kevin magnussen’s car was in! There 5 axis was amazing! Time to convince work to invest lol

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Unfortunately not allowed phones! It was the haas f1 factory amazing place! kevin magnussen’s car was in! There 5 axis was amazing! Time to convince work to invest lol

oh I see, nice.

406 V6, Race Buggy
Better with either a solid model or as above, 2d dimensioned drawing. an STL is just a hollow surface shell so can be tricky to work off if it's not perfect.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
We always do Engineering DWG'S and if the part is really complicated we just include some .step files.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
If a machine shop can't figure it out from a 2d drawing I wouldn't trust them with they job! I've had some really s**t and complicated multi page drawings to work from but always figured it out. Never thought a 3d model was necessary to get the job done.

Plenty of frustrating things from the other side of the fence. My two favourites will always be:

People who insist on having 2D in a PDF, only to spend their own time (and expect to amortise it into piece price) creating a dwg/dxf. Where do you think the PDF came from?!?! (if there was ever a time for the confused Jackie Chan meme...).

People who insist on doing stuff from 2D, but then ignore the stated tolerances.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
Does anyone use Hypermill?
We got it at work a while ago, only tried to use it today and find it really complicated I have done a 3 day course but it still don’t make much sense lol.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Does anyone use Hypermill?
We got it at work a while ago, only tried to use it today and find it really complicated I have done a 3 day course but it still don’t make much sense lol.
No, but I wish I did ?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
one thing I don't have and would love is a lathe.

anyone able to do me maybe 10-15 ally parts on a lathe? all the same and pretty simple nothing complex. also not very big, maybe 70-100mm dia

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
one thing I don't have and would love is a lathe.

anyone able to do me maybe 10-15 ally parts on a lathe? all the same and pretty simple nothing complex. also not very big, maybe 70-100mm dia

How accurate? I have a little lathe that should do something about 100mm failing that I do have access to a big one but that’s not as guaranteed but it will be far more accurate.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
How accurate? I have a little lathe that should do something about 100mm failing that I do have access to a big one but that’s not as guaranteed but it will be far more accurate.
not mega accurate, its only a ally cap to cover a plastic cap under the bonnet of a car.

internal dia needs to be roughly accurate so it fits over nicely, but outside doesn't matter

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
not mega accurate, its only a ally cap to cover a plastic cap under the bonnet of a car.

internal dia needs to be roughly accurate so it fits over nicely, but outside doesn't matter
Could quite easily do them depends if you want any fancy rounded edges or anything.

If they’re just straight alu cups then it shouldn’t be too difficult

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Could quite easily do them depends if you want any fancy rounded edges or anything.

If they’re just straight alu cups then it shouldn’t be too difficult
id like some form of none sharp edge, so either rounded or 45

Sj1782

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi s3 8p
Having a day out at mazak tomorrow to look at some fancy machinery!