ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CNC thread

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
it would seems from the what job do you do thread there is a lot of interest in CNC stuff.

ill be honest I'm somewhat obsessed with CNC mill, machines, lathes and routers. I love a good bit of cnc'ing.

I have a cnc mill, which has a 6 station atc, ruby tipped touch probe, z height setter and coolant flood. I also have a cnc router, nothing fancy though. sadly I have no qualifications in machining, when I was at school and you got careers advice it was all you would like to be a doctor, or policeman or maybe a fireman?

I youth of today don't know how lucky they are with the job options they have.

anyway time for some cnc p**n.

I have two kids, I don't need anymore. I probably give both nuts for a datron mill, just pure p**n. 60000rpm, it goes through ally like a hot knife through butter. the feed rates are mental.

the smallest one they do starts at about 60k and you don't get any extras for that.

this is there brand new model, the user interface is something else

love a good has machine, big strong solid machines

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
if you haven't seen titan before hes an American tit, but love his machining s**t

then we move into the real hard core cnc p**n, f**king love this s**t

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
some shoes id actually buy my wife

I could keep posting amazing video time after time, I cant get enough

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I'm just in the process of making my daughter a beauty and the beast wooden jewellery box like this one, out of American dark walnut.

375mm long by 190mm wide, so a big lump of nice wood.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I used to do a lot of inconell which is fun. Ceramics took all the time out of the job though!

We were using them on horizontal machines with no roof. 2 machines caught fire because the molten material would land on top of the column.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Place I worked at got one of those WFL machines and they had another at a plant in America. They were so unreliable they shipped the one from America over here so they could save on service engineer call outs.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I happened across this video this evening.

I have never been so squeamish watching any other video.

Awful. Lol

I expected to see injuries from your description. The milling ones don't bother me but the turning ones are scary as I've seen a tool post ripped off and jobs go flying across the workshop. I also know a guy who got dragged into a big lathe and ended up in a wheelchair.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I expected to see injuries from your description. The milling ones don't bother me but the turning ones are scary as I've seen a tool post ripped off and jobs go flying across the workshop. I also know a guy who got dragged into a big lathe and ended up in a wheelchair.

See, I'm weirdly ok with injuries, but there's something about letting a machine rapid into a chuck/the bed that I can't stand. And the anticipation of things flying out.

I despise noises at work too. Today I left the machine running to go to the toilet as someone slammed the back door. Bricks were shat lol

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I saw a guy mill his neck and collar bone when I was an apprentice, I was running an identical machine at the time! An apprentice on our machine at forge master's fell off the rotary table onto the slide cover. Good job he was a fatty as it was approx 4m he bounced down.
As for leaving the machine running that video shows how quickly things to to s**t. I've been here 5 years and the only tools they've bought have been replacement drills. Until this jan that is when they finally listened and bought us some boring bars. We've still not got any inserts for them mind!

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
I remember years ago a chap at work was drilling a hole about 40mm in a block about 400x400x200 with side clamps the drill picked up and when it retracted it pulled the job up with it and launched it when the drill snapped, it was lucky the doors were shut.
When you watch videos like this I would like to know what makes them think they are stronger than a machine

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I saw a guy mill his neck and collar bone when I was an apprentice, I was running an identical machine at the time! An apprentice on our machine at forge master's fell off the rotary table onto the slide cover. Good job he was a fatty as it was approx 4m he bounced down.
As for leaving the machine running that video shows how quickly things to to s**t. I've been here 5 years and the only tools they've bought have been replacement drills. Until this jan that is when they finally listened and bought us some boring bars. We've still not got any inserts for them mind!

f**k that.

Luckily the worst thing I've seen is someone almost lose the end of his finger.

How do you get your head under a moving cutter?!

I love that video of the r****d trying to hold back the lathe. They showed us that in college along with a few other turning mishaps.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
These machines are seriously powerful, some of these big machines have 10-15hp. That would rip your body in half

Makes a mockery of the manual lathes and mills we are being taught to use at my college evening classes haha! I called my lecturers out on it saying nobody uses manual stuff anymore but they just claimed I need to know the basics....yeh but I need to know the basics of CNC machine programming and CAD/CAM not manual stuff!

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
To be fair I started on a basic manual mill then moved to cnc. So glad I knew the basics as there's do much to go wrong.

I know someone who purchased a tormach cnc mill and had it shipped from USA. He had never used a mill in his life before and we'll struggled like you wouldn't believe.

Learning basics is the right wsy

To be fair I started on a basic manual mill then moved to cnc. So glad I knew the basics as there's do much to go wrong.

I know someone who purchased a tormach cnc mill and had it shipped from USA. He had never used a mill in his life before and we'll struggled like you wouldn't believe.

Learning basics is the right wsy
True but why not learn the basics on a CNC machine? I look at it light saying 'na you gotta learn to use a typewriter first, even though we haven't used them in years and it lacks the useful functionality before letting you loose on an electronic keyboard'

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
True but why not learn the basics on a CNC machine? I look at it light saying 'na you gotta learn to use a typewriter first, even though we haven't used them in years and it lacks the useful functionality before letting you loose on an electronic keyboard'
Any idiot can use cad-cam and produce a program, and any idiot can press go. That doesn't mean the two idiots can produce a component correctly, or know why or where it went tits up. If you're going to be at the sharp end of machining then experience of manual machining is thr best way to learn how s**t happens.
I've been at the sharp end of an idiots programs and trust me it's not fun. Scroll up and watch that crash video again, we had all that to avoid and 1" deep cuts at 15"/min. Reamers feeding at 1"/rev. 6mm gun drills retracting from the hole while still turning, one we never found and it was 2 foot long! All because our autocad genius didn't even know what a horizontal borer was when he started with us.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
How do you get your head under a moving cutter?!
It was one of these
775096386516285253ac43baff43fbca.jpg

The long lever on the right should engage the ram/head traverse but it never worked so the guy leaned over to use the one on the side of the machine. He then stretched down to the right to press the rapid traverse button but hit spindle not by mistake. Jog runs the spindle at full speed on those! The spindle was in the horizontal position with a big milling cutter in. He got away quite lightly really considering how it could have turned out.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Jesus. f**k that!

Lucky, lucky guy!
It was one of these

The long lever on the right should engage the ram/head traverse but it never worked so the guy leaned over to use the one on the side of the machine. He then stretched down to the right to press the rapid traverse button but hit spindle not by mistake. Jog runs the spindle at full speed on those! The spindle was in the horizontal position with a big milling cutter in. He got away quite lightly really considering how it could have turned out.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
um I look at it more like my 5 year old daughter who is in her first year of school. she is learning how to use a pen, write letters and words and will at some point move onto computers to learn typing.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
It was one of these

what a cracking bit of kit

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
If you like that, you'd love Mach at the NEC!! Southern Manufacturing is very much small fry in comparison.
I finance a fair bit of CNC software, but rarely get to see the machines in action - i find them mesmerising!
sadly there isn't a mach till 2018, so I plan to go next year. best I could find this year was southern manufacturing.

It was one of these

So the company were running defective machinery and the guy got hurt?

Where there's blame there's a claim??

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member

Unsafe act or unsafe condition? There's no other option.

Personally if he wasn't supposed to lean over then it's an unsafe act. If the machine wasn't working correctly he should have reported it and not using it.

He'd still get a payout though - because claim culture

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member

Yes. Probably 2 of 12 machines worked correctly. It was a hydraulic link between the levers and it was useless.
Unsafe act or unsafe condition? There's no other option.

Personally if he wasn't supposed to lean over then it's an unsafe act. If the machine wasn't working correctly he should have reported it and not using it.

He'd still get a payout though - because claim culture
This was back in the 90"s so he didn't get rich from it! After that they fitted guards so you couldn't reach the side lever from the front. They still couldn't get the system to work right though, which pissed the guys off because they were on piece work. Apart from that they were really good machines.